maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   control arms knocking (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149933)

bmw.ae 04-06-2012 11:34 AM

control arms knocking

i hear a serious knocking in my left front quadrant on small bumps and when i take corners above 30-35km/h left or right (on/off ramp), the turning noise may be because of the wheel well cover (i only have one for the left side)..

WHERE CAN I FIND CONTROL ARMS BUSHING AND TIE RODS?

my car is gonna fall apart!!

Ceeker 04-06-2012 01:47 PM

autopartsway.com - check there.

E46Dude 04-06-2012 02:40 PM

^

Yup.

Or call Mike at Maranello BMW and he would have them in stock. OEM.

bmw.ae 04-07-2012 10:34 AM

do you guys think the control arms are the cause of this knocking?

/Alessandro\ 04-07-2012 01:19 PM

Ive got the same problem going on but now when im going past 100 and accelerating I get a serious vibration like the wheel is going to fall off lol Im assuming lower control arm

bmw.ae 04-07-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1558586)
autopartsway.com - check there.

their prices are fair but im not sure what else i need..

Quote:

Originally Posted by /Alessandro\ (Post 1558726)
Ive got the same problem going on but now when im going past 100 and accelerating I get a serious vibration like the wheel is going to fall off lol Im assuming lower control arm

i hate driving in these conditions, maybe an alignment and tire balancing is needed.. i need that aswell as the control arms and tie rods..

will a strut brace improve my handling and help reduce noise when i corner or hit small bumps?

/Alessandro\ 04-07-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw.ae (Post 1558735)

i hate driving in these conditions, maybe an alignment and tire balancing is needed.. i need that aswell as the control arms and tie rods..

will a strut brace improve my handling and help reduce noise when i corner or hit small bumps?

alignment and tire balancing after you install the control arms couldnt hurt, a strut brace is designed to reduce the flex exerted on your chassis during cornering and give your steering a more stable feel so it'll improve handling a bit but as far as reducing road noise I wouldnt think so

bmw.ae 04-10-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /Alessandro\ (Post 1558773)
alignment and tire balancing after you install the control arms couldnt hurt, a strut brace is designed to reduce the flex exerted on your chassis during cornering and give your steering a more stable feel so it'll improve handling a bit but as far as reducing road noise I wouldnt think so

makes sense..i was thinking maybe some of the flex/body roll is causing over exertion in the "steering" components which may be making the noise.. i'm having it looked at thursday so regardless i need the knocking to cease*uzi*

Blackedout95 04-10-2012 11:39 PM

An alignment after a tie rod change is a good idea lol, for some reason I feel compelled to tell you to do it after the rod swap just so you know.

The clunking could very well be a tie rod, bushings etc, the best idea was getting it in the air and going over each link and bushing on each side. Heck a worn front sway bar bushing is enough to cause a noise.

GL

bmw.ae 04-10-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1559342)
An alignment after a tie rod change is a good idea lol, for some reason I feel compelled to tell you to do it after the rod swap just so you know.

The clunking could very well be a tie rod, bushings etc, the best idea was getting it in the air and going over each link and bushing on each side. Heck a worn front sway bar bushing is enough to cause a noise.

GL

im replacing the tie rods aswell.. also my cv boot is ripped open so i gotta replace the rubber boot re grease and re seal.. whats the part called that it covers? i hear squeak scrunching too which means a bushing somewhere down there is faulty...aw jeez cant wait til this nighmare is over
thx blackedout

Blackedout95 04-11-2012 12:20 AM

That would your axles :)

Yes, rebooted myself on my XI. Did an oil change a month ago and the grease was everywhere, inside my rim even. It happens :)