maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Racing advice needed (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149800)

Racer 04-01-2012 05:31 PM

Racing advice needed

Hi all,

Found this forum and thought I'd ask. I bought a BMW E30 model, 1987 325is. Was reading about all the racing schools and want to know what mods should I do to the car before I start to race. How much power do I need? Where do I buy racing tires. Thank you.

InfiniteDice 04-01-2012 05:44 PM

I don't race officially... :) But I suggest you go over the whole car and make sure all the rubber bushings and suspension areas are checked over firstly.

One thing to consider is that many tracks have rules and won't let any car participate if they are leaking any fluids. So seals, gaskets, hoses all should be checked.

Others will chime in with their thoughts. I think the last thing you should worry about is power or racing tires. Try to eliminate 200lbs off the car first and do the basic items above. After that you'll have an idea of what you're working with.

Racer 04-01-2012 05:58 PM

Thank you for your advice. The car seems to be in good shape, I got it up to 180 on the highway but I think it needs more power for racing. What are some local racing clubs I can join? I live in Aurora Ontario. Does anyone on this forum races a BMW?

Racer 04-01-2012 06:00 PM

Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car? Is that something that is required for racing?

2bmw2 04-01-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1557432)
Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car? Is that something that is required for racing?

remove the glass in the doors, door panels, get a very small battery, remove extra seats, fiberglass hood and trunk, get a lightweight gas tank, and lose 50# if you are overweight! *wiggle*

Where do you plan to race? On the street? Drag race? Mosport?

T.Dot_E30 04-01-2012 07:10 PM

http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/club-racing

cormier 04-01-2012 07:20 PM

Have you been on the track before? How about dont worry about anything you just talked about, follow the link above, maintain your car to pass the safety checklist and then take a driving school :)

Should be a good start! Trillium offers wonderful schools. What are you driving?

doogee 04-01-2012 08:20 PM

No offense but you sound like you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

doogee 04-01-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1557432)
Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car?

Step out of the vehicle.

Discostar 04-01-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doogee (Post 1557470)
Step out of the vehicle.

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1557431)
Thank you for your advice. The car seems to be in good shape, I got it up to 180 on the highway but I think it needs more power for racing. What are some local racing clubs I can join? I live in Aurora Ontario. Does anyone on this forum races a BMW?

Do you actually plan on racing? or just lapping?

I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.

I'm not sure if you have past experience driving other cars on the track, or this is your first, but I highly suggest you check the car over a little more thoroughly then just taking it up to 180km/hr and assuming its ok since you did not die.

I think taking a Trillium school would be a good start either way. They will point you in the right direction. Iím sure there will be a few other E30ís there to check out also.

2bmw2 04-01-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discostar (Post 1557473)
:D

Do you actually plan on racing? or just lapping?

I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.

I'm not sure if you have past experience driving other cars on the track, or this is your first, but I highly suggest you check the car over a little more thoroughly then just taking it up to 180km/hr and assuming its ok since you did not die.

I think taking a Trillium school would be a good start either way. They will point you in the right direction. Iím sure there will be a few other E30ís there to check out also.

Do you really want a guy called "Racer" who asked the questions above in a Trillium school? I wouldn't !

craz azn 04-01-2012 08:58 PM

Haha... somebody has got you guys going as a good April Fools Joke!!

BigD 04-01-2012 08:58 PM

April fools troll?

In the highly disappointing case that it's not, forget racing, take a high performance driving (NOT racing). When you get signed off to drive alone, worry about racing:

http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/a...river-training

Racer 04-01-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bmw2 (Post 1557449)
remove the glass in the doors, door panels, get a very small battery, remove extra seats, fiberglass hood and trunk, get a lightweight gas tank, and lose 50# if you are overweight! *wiggle*

Where do you plan to race? On the street? Drag race? Mosport?

Thank you. Do I replace the glass with something else or just leave it open? I am thinking that it may be better to leave it open, so that there is less drag.
I want to race in BMW races, I am pretty sure they don't race on the street, or do you mean on a closed street, like Molson Indy or something?

Racer 04-01-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1557450)

Please don't get me wrong, I am very new to this and it may seem like a silly question, but why would you need a license for racing? What do they teach you there? Not to brag, but I drive a lot a lot faster than any of my friends even the guys with "fast" cars.