maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Bought My First E30! Any Advice? Upgrades? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149768)

Farintosh 03-31-2012 08:54 AM

Bought My First E30! Any Advice? Upgrades?

Hey Everyone!

First off, great community you got here! Well, I just turned 18 and finally decided to take the plunge and by my first car (Bought from K. Vella, great experience, he also told me about these forums :p). An e30 was a natural choice, always loved them and it appears they have an amazing following. On a side not insurance for me was half the price of a 06' Civic... and at 18 I'm ready to drop $6k/year (really expensive here in Markham, Ontario).

I bought a 87' Delphin 325i Convertible Automatic w/ Taurusrot leather seats, and I have to admit, I'm in love :D

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...3-25210330.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...3-25210520.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...3-25210529.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...3-25210745.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...3-25211309.jpg

There is a squeaking which I suspect is a timing belt so I've decided to change the timing belt and other components which I don't know the history of (don't want to wait and find out).

I'm extremely new to e30s and cars in general but I'm lucky enough to have a full auto shop as my dad restores antique trucks.

Here's a list of some parts I was planning on ordering from Pelican Parts, I really don't know what I'm getting myself into but I don't mind spending some money on the car. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

-Timing Belt, Tensioner, Spring, Guide pin
-Power Steering Belt
-Alternator Belt
-A/C Belt
-Water Pumper & Gasket (Metal Impeller)
-Thermostat 80 Degree, Gasket, O-ring
-Cam Shaft Seal, Cam Flange O-ring
-Fog Light Lenses

I plan on picking up the standard maintenance parts (Oil Filter, Air Filter etc.) from a local distributor.

I'm really stepping into a new world here and any advice such as important upgrades would mean the world to me. Just one thing, telling me to swap to 5-speed doesn't help much, I live in the country on a farm, but I'm off to university next year where I don't really want to suffer through rush hour in a manual.

Thanks again in advance, seems like you have a great community here!:p

Geoff

e30tOny 03-31-2012 09:21 AM

*smoke*
Welcome wishes from the global e30 community & we wish you good luck with your car/projects!!!

...defaultname's old car*th-up*

defaultName 03-31-2012 09:33 AM

Hey Geoff, it's Kevin! Good to see you made it to maX!

I'm happy that the car went to someone who is going to appreciate it. Plus I'll get to see it from time to time as well which is great.

In terms of buying parts I have never ordered from Pelican. I'm not a fan of shipping stuff from the U.S. because it takes a while and it sucks to pay duty.

I would always try autopartsway.ca first and also PM Mike at Maranello BMW because he gives a great discount to maX members. I think Maranello BMW has a really good price on a timing belt and water pump too. I may have a coupon code for autopartsway.ca as well to save you a bit of money.

I think I may have forgotten to give you the owners manual with the car because it looks like I have one too many at my house. Let me know if you don't have it and I can get it for at some point.

I also apologize in advance for helping to get you hooked on something that will have you addicted for a very long time! Welcome to the cult! :D

MaxBell 03-31-2012 09:51 AM

Eww ****...you should definitely junk that interior and get some back leather in there...

Like let me take the door cards off your hands though, since I am stuck with redish cow skin as well.

Farintosh 03-31-2012 09:55 AM

Hey Kevin,

This forum is certainly an amazing resource! Thanks for the advice, I really wasn't sure how much duty was gonna bite me. I looked through autopartsway, but the prices were nearly double for the exact same parts, which to me negated the duty costs. I'll try to get in touch with Maranello BMW and see what he has to offer.

I downloaded the owners manual so I'm in no rush for a paper copy, tons of great resources out here to fuel my interest for now.

No need to apologize for getting me hooked, best feeling in the world to take pride in something this much, really want to do whatever I can to keep your old car in tip-top shape.

Looking forward to getting involved in this awesome community!

e30tOny 03-31-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxBell (Post 1557135)
Eww ****...you should definitely junk that interior and get some back leather in there...

Like let me take the door cards off your hands though, since I am stuck with redish cow skin as well.

I might have some for you "coupe"....even tho your a bit of a *flake:D

e30bmart 03-31-2012 10:35 AM

nice to see someone take pride and give some love back to the e30! But wait, 6000$ per YEAR insurance??????? I pay 250$! So i could be insured 24 years for that price :0 !!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

e30tOny 03-31-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30bmart (Post 1557146)
nice to see someone take pride and give some love back to the e30! But wait, 6000$ per YEAR insurance??????? I pay 250$! So i could be insured 24 years for that price :0

*smoke*
$250:confused: thats seems a tad expensive for QC?? You must not have a very good driving record:D

Farintosh 03-31-2012 10:53 AM

Yeah, insurance is crazy here in markham (lots of bad drivers) especial for an 18 year old male. I have a clean record and the lowest I could find was $3116 on the e30, and that's with a teacher's discount and group package.

Regarding the interior; I quite like the taurusrot, though the name isn't too appealing... Maybe it's just rationalization, but I think it's here to stay for a good while.

e30tOny 03-31-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farintosh (Post 1557151)
Yeah, I quite like the taurusrot, .

*smoke*
Taurusrot is the German name
Oxblood is the English name
the *flake, just calls it sh*ty red

Ceeker 03-31-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxBell (Post 1557135)

yeah that's it..tell the guy to junk the "rare" red interior but you'll take his red door cards huh? nice..LOL.

Keep the red, it makes the car unique and rare with that combination. you can find black ALL DAY LONG!

Farintosh 03-31-2012 11:40 AM

Haha, gotten a lot of pm's regarding the interior, never planned on changing it, definitely won't now. I enjoy having a car that's a bit different, I think that's one of the millions of reasons to buy an e30; sure you can buy a corolla and have it last forever while never getting anything out of it, or you can buy and e30 and enjoy every hard-earned moment in it.

Ceeker 03-31-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farintosh (Post 1557158)
Haha, gotten a lot of pm's regarding the interior, never planned on changing it, definitely won't now. I enjoy having a car that's a bit different, I think that's one of the millions of reasons to buy an e30; sure you can buy a corolla and have it last forever while never getting anything out of it, or you can buy and e30 and enjoy every hard-earned moment in it.

and.....it will be original. which makes it worth more in the end. good choice!! and from what I can see it is a really nice well kept car.*rockout*

e30tOny 03-31-2012 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farintosh (Post 1557158)

*smoke*
you have the ability to trade for something like this:

Ceeker 03-31-2012 12:16 PM

awesome work dude!!! *th-up*