maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Selling Gold (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149259)

Dysantic 03-09-2012 03:11 PM

Selling Gold

So I've got some stuff I'd like to sell with gold prices being as high as they are. Nothiner serious, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go and sell it. Nothing illegal, just someplace someone may have brought their own stuff to and it's an honest place that buys for good prices. I could shop around, but don't have the time. lol

E30 Girl 03-09-2012 03:14 PM

I actually have something to so and suggestions would be great!!

Thanks dysantic for the reminder..lol

The Twin 03-09-2012 03:31 PM

hah..
right up my alley.

I work for the Royal Canadian Mint...we refine and produce the purest/finnest gold available in the world at 99.999% pure.

we don't buy gold from the general public, yet depending on the amount you have your best bet would be to deal with a reputable dealer.

Gold for the purposes of investing:
Border Gold @ 1-888-312-2288 (www.bordergold.com)
Dillon Gage (broker) 1-800-375-4653 (www.dillongage.com)

if you're looking to have your gold refined for the purposes of selling these two recomendations will be able to help you out.

Also, do look atwww.kitco.com (1-877-775-4826) lots of very good info here aswell.

You can sell you gold with Kitco however at a premium, yet capitalize on a solid return.

do NOT waste your time with pawnshops/jewelers etc...

cheers,
Ryan

E30 Girl 03-09-2012 03:47 PM

I have one ring that I want to sell that looks like way to much effort...what do you suggest?

Is there a way I can figure out what the piece I have is worth so I know I'm getting a good deal?

Ceeker 03-09-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 Girl (Post 1552842)
I have one ring that I want to sell that looks like way to much effort...what do you suggest?

Is there a way I can figure out what the piece I have is worth so I know I'm getting a good deal?

go and get it appraised at a reputable place; cost is between 25-50 depending on who you use. the appraisal is just the value that is given upon it being insured and either damaged (fire) or stolen. Realistically the item is worth about 1/3 the replacement value on the appraisal if sold privately.

Ceeker 03-09-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 Girl (Post 1552842)

go and get it appraised at a reputable place; cost is between 25-50 depending on who you use. the appraisal is just the value that is given upon it being insured and either damaged (fire) or stolen. Realistically the item is worth about 1/3 the replacement value on the appraisal if sold privately. that will give you an idea what you may get (approx value).

El Gato Liso 03-10-2012 02:31 AM

http://torontoist.com/attachments/to...20100713xx.jpg

damameke 03-10-2012 10:54 AM

Paying $25 to $50 to appraise a ring is not worthwhile,
depending on whats the content of gold(in K) and how many gram in your ring
24K is pure gold, 18k, about 75%, many shops are paying about $30ish for a gram
of 18K.. East Indian jewellery pays more- about $34ish per gram...

So at $30ish per gram, its almost half the value of Friday's gold price of $1713.50,($55 a gram);I would say $35 to $40 a gram is fair price(to me)

Oliver The Cash Man should be able to give you a price on the spot withiout you paying for appraisal...

sirex 03-10-2012 11:12 AM

I've heard that Oliver is one of the highest paying jewlers.

propr'one 03-10-2012 02:37 PM

^^lol, not even close. There are some nationwide advertisers you can mail your gold to, these almost always have the best payouts.

You probably wont get as much for your gold as you think.

radi0activem 03-10-2012 04:10 PM

I have a co-worked that just sold a 1oz 24k coin that bought about 25 years ago. He went a jeweler in downtown Ottawa and got $1650 for it.

propr'one 03-10-2012 04:12 PM

Selling pure (24 karat, 99.99% pure) gold minted by a government is much easier than selling jewellery and other loose gold, particularly if it is a one oz denomination, as the oz spot price of gold is well known/followed.

sirex 03-11-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1552999)
^^lol, not even close. There are some nationwide advertisers you can mail your gold to, these almost always have the best payouts.

You probably wont get as much for your gold as you think.

probably.. but out of the pawn/jewler scene in toronto apparently he was the highest paying. i think the article was in the star.

Ceeker 03-11-2012 09:12 AM

I went to Olivers and the guy is a Shiester. He will low ball you and then if you walk away all of a sudden the price changes and doubles. Why would you want to deal with a dude like that. I don't call that fair or ethical in any regard. Yes, loose jewelery is harder to unload because they are specialty items and only desired by a few. Unless you have some exquisite high end stuff you won't get much for it no matter where you go relatively speaking. Even pawn shops are refusing to take stuff in now and are becoming extremely selective. if they are paying out, and not selling anything then their money is tied up. Sure, then make a killing on interest - but that is how they make money- but they also get stuck with your item. when people are in need of money, jewelery isn't much good. People who need money, aren't going to be buying jewelery from the shop.

SiR 03-11-2012 05:42 PM

the guys you see on tv are the worst.

going downtown is your best bet though