maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148603)

duaux 02-06-2012 01:06 PM

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

I just "replaced/installed" a new fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) on my E30, however I am not sure if I installed it "correctly".

Removing:
When removing, I had to tug/yank it out in which it "popped out".

Installing:
Since I could not "push/pop" it back in using just my hands, I decided to slowly nudge it in using the two 10mm bolts, alternativng between the two until it could not go any further.

The thing is, I "think" it is installed. Since I did not feel and/or hear the pop while fastening the bolts down, I am not sure if it is installed correctly.

Note: The FPR does seem to be "lined" up correctly.

Questions:
Anyone have any experiencing with installing/replacing their FPR?
I don't want to fire up the engine and set it on fire with fuel leaking out, etc.

Comments/Suggustions? Please advise.

Thanks.

propr'one 02-06-2012 02:02 PM

If its not lined up properly, pull it out and put it back in.

You can prime the fuel system by putting the ignition in 2 and not starting the car.

Ceeker 02-06-2012 02:06 PM

it's a no brainer.. if the two bolts went down snug it's in/on..not other possibility unless you forced it in causing the o-rings to pinch. turn the car over and you'll know.

MaxBell 02-06-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1547444)
If its not lined up properly, pull it out and put it back in.

You can prime the fuel system by putting the ignition in 2 and not starting the car.

Actually? I thought the fuel pump only came on when the crank position sensor detected movement.

Bullet Ride 02-06-2012 02:38 PM

I hope you put a little bit of lube on the o-ring before you tried pressing it in. If you nicked the o-ring it could start leaking at some point while you're driving. Hopefully you keep an extinguisher in the car. I keep one in mine.

craz azn 02-06-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxBell (Post 1547448)
Actually? I thought the fuel pump only came on when the crank position sensor detected movement.

Correcto, only the older systems prime for a second or two. Alternatively, you could jump the pins for the fuel pump relay to power up the fuel system to spot a leak before turning the engine on.

duaux 02-06-2012 03:01 PM

As I guessed... this is super dangerous! lol.

@bullet ride: I did not put any lube on the o-ring, I guess I am screwed? Bentley manual did not note the requirement.
Extinguisher in your car? Sounds crazy, but a GOOD IDEA.

@creeker: the two bolts are "snug" and the FPR seems to be "lined up" correctly.

I think the overall senses is to make sure that I am prepared before I try turning it on.

A) Buy a fire extinguisher and have it ready
B) Have someone with shop towels ready and close to the engine
C) Turn the ignition to #2 and see if the pumps starts up
D) If no fuel is leaking, start up the engine?

Bullet Ride 02-06-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaux (Post 1547456)
@bullet ride: I did not put any lube on the o-ring, I guess I am screwed? Bentley manual did not note the requirement.
Extinguisher in your car? Sounds crazy, but a GOOD IDEA.

You're not necessarily screwed. It's just that a little bit of lube helps the o-ring slide in without dragging too much which can tear the o-ring. If you were careful you should be ok. It's always good practice to have an extinguisher near by when working on your fuel system. I have a small one mounted right under the drivers seat because these old cars have a habit of trying to kill you every now and then :D. It's definitely a must a turbo car. I've seen a car catch fire at the track before because the oil supply like to his turbo failed. He didn't have an extinguisher so he had to wait until someone who had one got to him *thmbsdwn*

Just start the car up and see if it leaks. If it doesn't you should be good to go but it wouldn't hurt to keep an extinguisher in your car just in case.

duaux 02-06-2012 04:26 PM

Alright... seems like my next step is to buy a fire extinguisher before I start it up.

For those are interested... my limited research shows this: Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher rated for A, B, C or E.

http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/...inguisher.html

Bullet Ride 02-06-2012 05:09 PM

This is the one I keep in my car
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

duaux 02-07-2012 11:05 PM

Update:

1. I started up the car and there was no fuel leakage from the FPR (took a few tries)

Problem:

2. I did however noticed SMOKE coming from the Rear Left side (where the fuel filter/pump) is? :eek: This freaked me out and I turned the car off immediately.

The smoke was not exhaust (I have a plastic tube which I vent it out of the garage), it smelt like something was "burning/plastic/metal"?

3. I got under the car (engine off) to see if I can find the source. NO LUCK...

4. After opening up my garage and side doors for about 5 minutes, I let the smoke clear up. Risking it... I started up the engine once more, with my fire extinguisher on stand by. This time, NO SMOKE. :confused:

I did notice the usual gasoline smell and I can hear the fuel pump buzzing away. Aside from that nothing "unusual"...

Does anyone have any idea WTF it is that may have caused it?

Should I continue to worry/be concerned?

I am paranoid right now, so I went out tonight immediately to buy a smoke and fire alarm (2in1) detector. I mounted it device above my garage entrance door. While I was at the big (W), I bought a brand new large fire extinguisher to mount in the garage as well. This is no biggie as I was always planning to do this, but I have been putting it off. However, this time there was more urgency!

I think the worst nightmare right now is if the old E30 burst into fire in the middle of night, risking my family and my house... fcplm

richie_s999 02-09-2012 08:12 AM

did anything spill when you changed the parts, possible gas on the exhaust pipe, which could have heated up and caused a little smoke? Small exhaust leak you didn't notice b4?

duaux 02-09-2012 09:17 AM

Richie: Good point...

When I removed the original FPR, I did spill some fuel. That may have ran down the pipes? I wiped up immediately as much as I could, but the fuel dried pretty fast.

Note: I did let that spilled fuel dry for about 2 days before I started up the car again. Sunday night FPR change, I started up the car on Tuesday night.

How dangerous is a "small" exhaust leak? :confused:

richie_s999 02-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaux (Post 1547990)
Richie: Good point...

When I removed the original FPR, I did spill some fuel. That may have ran down the pipes? I wiped up immediately as much as I could, but the fuel dried pretty fast.

Note: I did let that spilled fuel dry for about 2 days before I started up the car again. Sunday night FPR change, I started up the car on Tuesday night.

How dangerous is a "small" exhaust leak? :confused:

unless you clean it your going to have a residue left behind, and exhaust pipes are generally porous with a little outer rust, and almost act as a sponge.

could have been a pin hole or small exhaust leak and if the car was sitting for a few days blown some smoke through the hole

Bullet Ride 02-09-2012 09:30 AM

If you're looking at the front of the car the rear left side of the engine bay?
A lot of times when you're working on the car stuff can drip down onto the exhaust manifolds, maybe a little bit of something that was loose got dislodged and fell onto the manifold. It just burns off the first time you run the car. I'd say just pull the car outside and start it up. Let it idle up to temp while watching the engine bay. If it doesn't catch on fire it should be good to go. Then take it for a rip and thrash the shit out of it for scaring you like that *shiner*

The chance of the car randomly bursting into flames in the middle of the night due to an electrical fire is highly unlikely. Your wiring would have to be pretty botched, at which point your car probably wouldn't run properly to begin with.