maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who is your internet provider? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148554)

FelixT 02-03-2012 01:30 PM

Who is your internet provider?

Just curious.
always hear people saying the smaller companies are better, but I have Bell,pretty cheap, half price for a year, free modem, no contract......

propr'one 02-03-2012 01:48 PM

This thread would make more sense if you had people post what they pay/get

I have a VDSL2+ connection from telus. I pay 44$ a month for a 32/3 connection with unmetered bandwidth. It is on promo right now for 29$. (6 mo)

SiR 02-03-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FelixT (Post 1547040)
Just curious.
always hear people saying the smaller companies are better, but I have Bell,pretty cheap, half price for a year, free modem, no contract......

stick with it.

teksavvy has taken a nose dive recently in many ways.

I just went through a bunch of bs with them and cable service... make a long story short(which it wasnt entirely their fault) I canceled and went with bell fibe deal thats on for half price.

ya bell and rogers are evil...but not much you can do if your having issues with your service from a third party provider since there hands are tied . just endless tickets and escalations that go nowhere. There isnt much the third party guys can do to fix problems. They are at the mercy of the big guys.

if your service works though...third party is great and its nice you are paying less to use the network than the big guys(not including promotions)

2slow2race 02-03-2012 04:45 PM

i am with teksavvy. switched a few months ago and have not looked back. (TekSavvy Extreme Cable 24)
i pay $48 after tax for 24/1 with 300 gig. still have not gone over with satellite streaming, downloading hd torrents, and xbox live.

i have not had a single problem with it and i hope i dont. cause it is amazing.
i wish i had a bit more upload speed but oh well.

hey SiR, what problems did you have? thanks.

Steve30 02-03-2012 04:54 PM

I'm with Bell on their ancient high speed plan with unlimited dl. Its really expensive ($65) especially for the shitty speed (6 down 1 up). I'm really thinking of switching to rogers because their speeds are way faster and its like $10 less than the equivalent bell plan.

propr'one 02-03-2012 05:10 PM

^^my parents are on that plan. They will upgrade you to 8.5/1.5 profile for free

Best place to do it is the Bell Sympatico support forum on dslreports.

SiR 02-03-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slow2race (Post 1547073)

hey SiR, what problems did you have? thanks.

DHCP issues.

this is a big problem for cable with rogers in certain parts of the gta which also affects teksavvy customers.... I knew it could be a problem...prayed it wouldnt happen to me and unfortunately it did. had no internet for a month so I walked. some people have gone longer than that.

I have bell fibe 25. 25 down/7 up 100gig(boo) 40 gb for $5 more if i want.

$27 a month couldnt argue with that.

dslreports is good for all the services.

chia 02-03-2012 06:34 PM

Cogeco Ultimate 30
30Mbps
175gb/month

I get 30 down and 1.7 up..

$70+hst

Unfortunately, I was paying more for less a month ago.. I'm still getting ripped off, but not much for options around here.

Steve30 02-03-2012 06:55 PM

And keep the unlimited dl? They've called a few times and tried to change us to 12/2 profile with 150 cap. I'm really considering Roger's because the price difference is actually pretty big and their dl speeds are wayyyy faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1547079)
^^my parents are on that plan. They will upgrade you to 8.5/1.5 profile for free

sirex 02-03-2012 07:04 PM

just switched from rogers 25/1 to bell 15/1 on the promo.

i haven't noticed any difference.

rogers can go to hell. they didnt want to price match to keep loyal customers of 10+ years. gonna be moving cell phones soon as well.

propr'one 02-03-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve30 (Post 1547090)
And keep the unlimited dl? They've called a few times and tried to change us to 12/2 profile with 150 cap. I'm really considering Roger's because the price difference is actually pretty big and their dl speeds are wayyyy faster.

Yes, unlimited. Same plan, just new profile. My parents have the tab picked up by work, so i was just aiming to max their speed without affecting billing in any way.

gnome 02-04-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1547079)

on sympatico since dsl was invented, free modem upgrade each year, unlimited downloads, always up. Not too bad but how can i take advantage of the new incentives?

propr'one 02-04-2012 02:34 PM

^^really? You've had DSL since the 80's? That's awesome. My parents have had DSL for about a decade.

You can go on the dslreports page and be upgraded to a better profile.

ZiMMie 02-04-2012 02:52 PM

I had rogers and i was shelling out close to $75 a month with a shit load of throttling.

Switched to tecksavvy, No more throttling. 300GB cap and I'm only paying $41(taxes in) a month.

*wiggle*

ScotcH 02-05-2012 03:15 AM

I've had ADSL on Bell since it was first introduced in Ottawa ... around 1997 maybe? I was grandfathered in on a static IP for many years, but then finally, the stopped offewring static, so I had to swtich.

Eventually ended up with Teksavvy DSL (with static IP), and it was ok, but nothing special. Now I have Teksavvy fibe via bell, still a static IP, and I'm a happy camper with 25/7 service. I have Teksavvy cable as a backup, but if the fibe prves reliable, I'll ditch that.

btw, the teksavvy is 300gb, and for extra $ yo ucan get unlimited ... I only care about the upload really, so the 300gb is plenty ... all in all, I'd say Teksavvy is top right now.