maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is it like to work for a Desi manager? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148321)

maxbmw 01-21-2012 05:11 PM

What is it like to work for a Desi manager?

I hope i didnt offend anyone with that question. Thing is i've been called for an interview this tues for an office job. The HR dept emailed me the interview details and i can tell from the hiring manager's name that he's a desi. Desi to me means he's brown, maybe from india or pakistan. I dont have a problem with that. Question: what are the DOs and DONTs when interviewing with a Desi? how can i improve my chances of getting hired? What should i do/dont do, etc. Im prepared for the interview. Just want to cover the cultural aspect.
Serious answers only pls.

damameke 01-21-2012 05:24 PM

I think you just prepare yourself for the interview, information of the company and the job, shouldnt matter who is doing the interview, culture shouldnt come into play, just be yourself and be polite.....and answer to your best ability of the questions asked... and if you dont know.. dont lie..

dbworld4k 01-21-2012 05:49 PM

LOL is this serious? Just interview how you normally would. Telling him you love curry and don't go out after 9PM won't win you extra samosa points.
Quote:

Originally Posted by damameke (Post 1545037)
I think you just prepare yourself for the interview, information of the company and the job, shouldnt matter who is doing the interview, culture shouldnt come into play, just be yourself and be polite.....and answer to your best ability of the questions asked... and if you dont know.. dont lie..

+1.

///M-TRD3 01-21-2012 08:37 PM

And remember you're in Canada.. his name could be Guiseppe, Goran, Xiu, Yves, Jose, Hans, Vladimir, Kofi, Kuldeep, ect ect. and he might be a second or third generation Canadian, so you'd essentially be considering a moot point. Just get properly, professionally prepared, as others have suggested.

Goodluck.

e30_kid89 01-21-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxbmw (Post 1545035)
I hope i didnt offend anyone with that question. Thing is i've been called for an interview this tues for an office job. The HR dept emailed me the interview details and i can tell from the hiring manager's name that he's a desi. Desi to me means he's brown, maybe from india or pakistan. I dont have a problem with that. Question: what are the DOs and DONTs when interviewing with a Desi? how can i improve my chances of getting hired? What should i do/dont do, etc. Im prepared for the interview. Just want to cover the cultural aspect.

:huh?: I'm not even of east indian decent and found that a bit offensive to think you would need a special "strategy" because of the interviewer's background. but yeah, the advise you need has already been given in this thread, hope it all works out*wave*

325isdan 01-21-2012 09:52 PM

Culture, racial background plays zero aspect for a job interview. If it does, the law is being broken.

328IScreamer 01-21-2012 10:15 PM

If it's a respectable company your ethnic backround plays absolutely no role in getting hired

bmdbley'sBro 01-22-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxbmw (Post 1545035)

learn & perform every dance move in this video - or No Job For You!

Blackedout95 01-22-2012 07:00 PM

Learn how to raise your hands and twist your wrists and bobble your head when you cannot answer a question.

Also do not refer to him as a desi lol

sirex 01-22-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro (Post 1545141)
learn & perform every dance move in this video - or No Job For You!

ya, when you pull into the parking lot make sure you're blasting that song.

Coupedup 01-23-2012 09:33 AM

I can't believe you even posted this... wow. Do you think that "desi" is asking for tips on how he should handle your interview?

Would you have posted this if the interviewer was black/asian/female ect?

fcplm

aspen540 01-23-2012 01:06 PM

you raise a bit of valid point. It looks like he is only a manager and has to conform to the company culture/policies. It will not matter, just go about the interview as any other. If he owned the company and hired mostly people from his cultural background than obviously is would be different. I have worked and recruited for companies owned by people of various cultural backgrounds the differences are night and day. you have to work there to fully figure out, sometimes you never do.

2slow2race 01-23-2012 02:11 PM

i worked for a company that was owned and operated by a specific cultural background.
all the employees too were that culture. people were fine and all but i felt really out of place and left after 2 months. learning experience.

SiR 01-23-2012 02:37 PM

dont shower for 2 months leading up to the interview?
walk into interview with the tunak tunak blasting. youll be promoted before your hired.

figure that reply is about as useful as the original post :eek:

El Gato Liso 01-23-2012 03:20 PM

say you're from brampton