maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Driver Side Window- Up And Down Sporadically (328is) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148118)

Nick94 01-09-2012 10:58 PM

Driver Side Window- Up And Down Sporadically (328is)

Hey Guys!

My driver side window goes up and down on my 328 coupe, usually when I go over a bump or pothole... When I turn the car off, I have to shove on the door in order for the window to go up. Sometimes it will go up, then come right back now, and sometimes go up and stay there. Currently, there is about a 1/2 inch of clearance between the rubber and the top of the window. This changes daily, as sometimes I can get it to shut completely. Any ideas of what this might be?

Thanks,

Nick

Dysantic 01-10-2012 02:42 PM

I had a similar problem. Take the door card off and make sure that the window is still on its track. If it is, take a look at the arms that hold the motor onto the door. One of the arms was loose on mine, so when the window went down or up, the motor would move out of place and screw up how it would go up and down, causing it to open when it cant close properly. All I had to do was move the arm lower and then tighten the bolt that held it there and now it works like a charm. Why they would make it so that there is so much space for the screw to hold it in to move I'll never understand.

I hope this makes some sense to you, because after reading it over it feels like it may be a little vague for anyone but me. lol

noodles101 01-10-2012 03:13 PM

OP, i dont know how to FIX it but if you press down on the window rubber ( rubber piece that runs horizontal along the bottom of your window on the outside ) ur window will go up.

Nick94 01-10-2012 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys... No, it was not too vague! I will take a shot at both your suggestions...

The electric switch works! It will go up and down, but not completely up. I think there might be something with the striker when the door shuts, and/or something with the window being on its track.

hammy 01-11-2012 12:30 AM

i had this problem my fix was with the microswitch. it was worn down and if i hit a bump the car would think the door was open and the window would go haywire so i just fixed the switch now alls good. hope this helps a good test well at least the way i tested it was i took some duct tape and cut it into thin strips then i wrapped it around the microswitch i did it tight enough to not move around but loose enough so that the microswitch wasn't pressed down by the tape.

hope this helps.

5style 01-12-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammy (Post 1543298)
i had this problem my fix was with the microswitch. it was worn down and if i hit a bump the car would think the door was open and the window would go haywire so i just fixed the switch now alls good. hope this helps a good test well at least the way i tested it was i took some duct tape and cut it into thin strips then i wrapped it around the microswitch i did it tight enough to not move around but loose enough so that the microswitch wasn't pressed down by the tape.

hope this helps.

Its the microswitch

Nick94 01-12-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks! Because, the lights in the car also turn on when I hit bumps! The door is securely shut, but there is a signal saying that the door is being opened. Appreciate the advice. Would I only have to replace the microswitch to fix this?

Jon@Bimmersport 01-12-2012 12:38 PM

Your switch is worn out. You can try "thickenning" it by using electrical tape and that way there is a better contact. Either way, just replace the switch...the above is a temp solution so your drive home is not annoying.

ritual 01-12-2012 04:24 PM

i had this problem too. i first used electrical tape.. which is an okay temp fix. my solution to fixing it without replacing the switch is to use a piece of weatherstripping. cut a piece piece long enough to cover the button and also wrap around the sides a bit. then cut off the backing at both sides, but leave some in the middle for the button area to avoid a sticky mess. haven't had a problem since. hope this helps!

Nick94 01-13-2012 05:37 PM

The microswtich... is this the part in the door, or on the body which contacts the door?