maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Check Engine Light + Check OK (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148025)

duaux 01-04-2012 11:30 AM

Check Engine Light + Check OK

I got an "Engine Light Symbol" yesterday, shortly (1km) after I started up my car to head home from work. The car "seems" to be driving fine as I don't notice anything different. e.g., no loss in performance, etc.

A) I am assuming this is a check engine light? (Fixed Dash Symbol)
B) But, I am also confused as the diagnostic check comes up as "CHECK OK" (Variable Dash Section)

The light is still on the dash this morning when I started the car. I drove the car to work anyways...

Any suggestions and/or experience?
Should I be taking my E90 to an mechanic to scan ASAP?

Thanks.

Dinanstu 01-04-2012 11:37 AM

You need to get the codes from an OBD II scanner (mechanic or friend)
No loss of performance could be just an emissions issue (oxygen sensor)
...but get the code...

duaux 01-04-2012 12:11 PM

Can any OBDII scanner work or do I need one that is specialized for BMW and/or more specifically the E90?

Dinanstu 01-04-2012 01:29 PM

Any OBD II scanner.
You will have to search the error code, or post it here to get a reply. The scanner can reset it too.

duaux 01-04-2012 02:42 PM

Hey Dinatsu

Thanks for replying. I will update this thread once I get it sorted out.

FYI: I also tried tightening the gas cap (as someone suggested).
Regardless, if I buy a scan-tool, or bring it to an indie I will update.

I am looking at the PEAKE tool right now... I will most likely buy the tool regardless for any future errors/etc.

SamE30e 01-04-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaux (Post 1542208)
I got an "Engine Light Symbol" yesterday, shortly (1km) after I started up my car to head home from work. The car "seems" to be driving fine as I don't notice anything different. e.g., no loss in performance, etc.

B) But, I am also confused as the diagnostic check comes up as "CHECK OK" (Variable Dash Section)

The light is still on the dash this morning when I started the car. I drove the car to work anyways...

Thanks.

The Check Engine light is for diagnostics of the powertrain in the vehicle. The Check control system checks lights, and maintenance items. Two different systems, with two different functions. I would take the car to a dealership to be properly diagnosed.

sexxxybimmer 01-05-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaux (Post 1542208)

Thanks.

Same thing happend to me last week, Engine light was on + System check ok, i went to the Bmw Dealer but there were close so i drove it like that, after two days the engine light wasnt there but i still toke it the dealer, he said there is miss fire and he had to change the something i forgot lol sorry some wire shit if u still need to know let me know i check the paper. i hope this help
Kevin

Dinanstu 01-05-2012 06:36 AM

If it's the gas cap or some other small technical glitch that has since resolved itself, it takes a few restarts without the error to clear the yellow indicator. I don't see any reason to rush to the dealer on the first yellow "go to dealer light".
Using the scanner can help you get some idea of what the car is doing and help you understand about it when it has to be fixed.
If you find the car is running poorly, take it to your mechanic/dealer - but keep track of what is being fixed so you can learn from it.
:)

duaux 01-05-2012 08:38 AM

Hey guys, thanks for being active.

Update:
Since tightening my gas cap yesterday... I drove home with the check engine light still on for the whole commute (approx 50 KM). This morning, my car started up without the engine light and it remained off for my ride into work.
Fingers crossed, I am hoping that it was only a "loose" cap issue.

I am still planning to buy the scan tool just so that I will know what error at the minimum for the future.

@Sexxybimmer
No rush, but if you can post a scan of your dealer bill (edit out your personal info) or just provide additional details that would be great for the community. e.g., allow others to search/see, details of the repair, costs, etc.

Dinanstu 01-05-2012 09:53 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you.
:)

duaux 01-05-2012 10:59 AM

I'm not too excited yet... if I drive home tonight without it, I will be more relieved then... *wiggle*

sexxxybimmer 01-05-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaux (Post 1542405)
Hey guys, thanks for being active.

Update:
Since tightening my gas cap yesterday... I drove home with the check engine light still on for the whole commute (approx 50 KM). This morning, my car started up without the engine light and it remained off for my ride into work.
Fingers crossed, I am hoping that it was only a "loose" cap issue.

I am still planning to buy the scan tool just so that I will know what error at the minimum for the future.

@Sexxybimmer
No rush, but if you can post a scan of your dealer bill (edit out your personal info) or just provide additional details that would be great for the community. e.g., allow others to search/see, details of the repair, costs, etc.

It cost me $50+tax bc i have extended warranty , but i asked them if i didnt have the warranty how much would be ? he said around $400 to $450

duaux 01-05-2012 09:45 PM

Update:
Bad news... the light came back on.

My Research:
1. Drove into Partsource and had them run a OBD-II scan. (FYI - it is free)
2. Checked the code: P1553
3. BMW FC Code: 2A99 [Engine Position System 'B' Performance (Bank1)]
4. Searched the internet... seems to be related to the following...
a) Camshaft Sensors (2x in total for E90, intake and exhaust)
b) VANOS Solenoids (2x in total for E90, intake and exhaust)

Now, from what I am reading, "dirty" VANOS Solenoids can cause fault codes for the Camshaft Sensors. It was noted from BMW bulletin that it should be clean using "air hose" and then reinstall. Other users on the internet seem to be confirming similar treatment when they brought it into the dealer.

My Approach:
1. Take the cheap route first... I will try and clean the solenoids this Saturday. Hopefully that would fix it.
2. ???

Good news is... the parts are not too expensive and it looks like a DIY'er.

I will update for those interested. *mumble*

razor_ro 01-05-2012 11:33 PM

this exact same thing happend to me,... it was my "VANOS Solenoid" sensor... it only cost me $50 to fix due to my extended warranty or else just the part alone was almost ~$500... :)

duaux 01-06-2012 08:41 AM

Sounds expensive... thanks for adding value as it helps others confirm the approximate costs if we were to take it to the dealer.