maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Just bought an '89 325iX - anyone know the car? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148000)

Kristina 01-03-2012 01:57 PM

Just bought an '89 325iX - anyone know the car?
 
Hey all,

My boyfriend and I just picked up (aka rescued) a 1989 325iX. Curious if anyone knows the car as someone clearly loved the poor thing at some point - full Racing Dynamics kit, BBS wheels, m3 badges, mirror and steering wheel (yeah yeah I know lol) stainless exhaust, etc etc... guy we got it from didn't have a clue and hadn't done any of the mods, he said he had it for 2ish years.

It currently only drives in reverse - from research it looks like it could be the input shaft seals as there was some fluid leaking but no grinding noise or metal shards etc, goes into gear fine but won't go anywhere. If anyone else has any thoughts or experience with this please lmk!

Some crappy pics -

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc...012dhi_20.jpeg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...11874545_n.jpg

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc...746588_20.jpeg

Robb 01-03-2012 02:11 PM

Not really a desireable E30 Model.. it's auto, 4 door and an IX 4WD model.
Good winter beater since it's 4wd.

Looks as though it needs some TLC. These can be money pits though.

How much did you pay ?

BMW BMXer 01-03-2012 02:22 PM

Lol Rob, nice warm welcome. :rolleyes:

Robb 01-03-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW BMXer (Post 1541975)
Lol Rob, nice warm welcome. :rolleyes:

LoL.. *angel*

It is what it is..

Mystikal 01-03-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb (Post 1541972)
Not really a desireable E30 Model.. it's auto, 4 door and an IX 4WD model.
Good winter beater since it's 4wd.

Looks as though it needs some TLC. These can be money pits though.

How much did you pay ?

Is the guy with multiple 80's Hondas really trying to tell someone about desirability? You clearly subscribe to your own concept of what desire is, so maybe let someone else do the same.

Robb 01-03-2012 02:35 PM

yes.. that me

speaking of 80's honda's....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/most-...ht_22502wt_994

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/02/...-honda-crx-si/

BMW BMXer 01-03-2012 02:42 PM

All well and good Rob, however I suggested Kristina join here for info on her e30 not to be told it isn't desirable.

I mean I had a 4 door eta and wasn't welcomed this way and I didn't have a full RD kit or paint that looked near as good.

When was the last time someone new joined with an IX?

Kristina 01-03-2012 02:42 PM

I'm not bothered about the desirability - just love the e30 style and got it for a steal since it's not working right :) it does need some TLC but it's with the right owners for that.

Kristina 01-03-2012 02:44 PM

Auto isn't my preference either, but a manual swap would be in order at some point if the opportunity presented itself.

Axxe 01-03-2012 03:04 PM

Well, if the car goes in reverse and not forward, it would appear that the opportunity to convert to 5spd has just presented itself.

Also, welcome to max, my girlfriend saw me looking at the white ix auto posted up for sale earlier today (black hood, white grill), and said "I want that!" Good luck with this one.

egye30 01-03-2012 03:23 PM

Hey, i know this car.. Its from hamilton i believe, My brothers went to look at it last year (or the year before), it was up for sale, the guy (Alan) thought the thing was a damn m3 or something cuz he was asking waaaay to much for it at the time, They said the racing dynamics body kit was cracked and the car sounded like death when they test drove, my brother originally intended to buy it but when he saw he suggested i buy it for parts for mine. A couple of months later i saw that he still had it so i messaged the guy to see if he was maybe interested in selling me some parts off it, in exchange of cash and my original parts in case he still wanted to keep the car whole, he took that as an insult saying how he "loves his e30 with the 'm3 headlights', the racing dynamics body kit and the m3 wheel too much to sell the parts, im probably just gonna keep it and fix it" so i replied that it would be his loss, and that all those parts would probably look better on my e30 than that beat down iX he's got anyway. He wasnt very pleased.. lol. So fast forward a few more months and my brother points out the car up for sale again (my brother looks for e30s on daily basis almost lol) and we have a good laugh at it because this time he was asking less than a third of what he had asked when my brother test drove it which seemed alot more fair of a price for that car, but he probably would have made that much and more if he sold me some of his parts and sold the car. I considered buying it as a beater changing the tranny and ripping the good parts off and putting them on my summer e30, but that seemed too hard to accomplish with my other donor car (e36) sitting around and taking up space as well, i figured i might as well sort out my swap project first before taking on more, and its been for sale since then, but i suppose its found a good home now. My advice: if you find too many things wrong with it when you start fixin her up, you could make what you paid back if you just part it out, and if that happens PM me i might be interested in something lol Good luck! welcome aboard

egye30 01-03-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1541984)
Well, if the car goes in reverse and not forward, it would appear that the opportunity to convert to 5spd has just presented itself.

Also, welcome to max, my girlfriend saw me looking at the white ix auto posted up for sale earlier today (black hood, white grill), and said "I want that!" Good luck with this one.

The one with M colors on the grill? Car looks to be in beautiful shape, but damn that grill is ugly dont you think? lol

Axxe 01-03-2012 03:32 PM

^ Yeah, but it can be easily fixed. 20 mins and all better ;)

Bullet Ride 01-03-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egye30 (Post 1541990)
The one with M colors on the grill? Car looks to be in beautiful shape, but damn that grill is ugly dont you think? lol

In the 80's it was hip to colour match the grills on your E30 with the colour of the car.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...ream/004_4.jpg

I'm not that familiar with the E30 autotragic transmission but it could be the oil filter in the transmission. I've heard that when they get blocked up it can prevent the transmission from shifting. Could also be a broken/damaged shift linkage.

Kristina 01-03-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egye30 (Post 1541987)
Hey, i know this car.. Its from hamilton i believe, My brothers went to look at it last year (or the year before), it was up for sale, the guy (Alan) thought the thing was a damn m3 or something cuz he was asking waaaay to much for it at the time, They said the racing dynamics body kit was cracked and the car sounded like death when they test drove, my brother originally intended to buy it but when he saw he suggested i buy it for parts for mine. A couple of months later i saw that he still had it so i messaged the guy to see if he was maybe interested in selling me some parts off it, in exchange of cash and my original parts in case he still wanted to keep the car whole, he took that as an insult saying how he "loves his e30 with the 'm3 headlights', the racing dynamics body kit and the m3 wheel too much to sell the parts, im probably just gonna keep it and fix it" so i replied that it would be his loss, and that all those parts would probably look better on my e30 than that beat down iX he's got anyway. He wasnt very pleased.. lol. So fast forward a few more months and my brother points out the car up for sale again (my brother looks for e30s on daily basis almost lol) and we have a good laugh at it because this time he was asking less than a third of what he had asked when my brother test drove it which seemed alot more fair of a price for that car, but he probably would have made that much and more if he sold me some of his parts and sold the car. I considered buying it as a beater changing the tranny and ripping the good parts off and putting them on my summer e30, but that seemed too hard to accomplish with my other donor car (e36) sitting around and taking up space as well, i figured i might as well sort out my swap project first before taking on more, and its been for sale since then, but i suppose its found a good home now. My advice: if you find too many things wrong with it when you start fixin her up, you could make what you paid back if you just part it out, and if that happens PM me i might be interested in something lol Good luck! welcome aboard

Could be the same car then because it is from the Hamilton area - however the guy wasn't Alan and doesn't sound like the same guy at all because the guy we got it from didn't seem to know anything ("I don't know why it won't drive, maybe the engine or transmission" - lol). Maybe the Alan guy owned it and then sold it to our guy who sold it to us? The only other thing that doesn't make sense is the kit isn't cracked and seems to run great now... hmmm.

And yes - we bought it because either it's a cheap fix and therefore a fun beater/winter car OR we part it/scrap it and make our money back - no biggie. lol.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014