maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bill c10 passes what whatttt (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147527)

sirex 12-05-2011 09:15 PM

bill c10 passes what whatttt

bmw bro you're late to the party as the billl was passed today

sirex 12-05-2011 09:17 PM

The federal government's omnibus crime bill passed the final vote 157-127 in the House of Commons on Monday night.

Earlier Monday, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson held a news conference in Ottawa to express his support for the proposed legislation and encouraged all MPs to vote in favour of it.

The Conservatives promised during the spring election to pass the Safe Streets and Communities Act within 100 sitting days of Parliament and Nicholson said the government is keeping its promise. He introduced the omnibus bill, a combination of nine previous bills, in September.

"Canadians voted in favour of this when they elected us to a majority government and we will deliver on the promises that we made to Canadians in the last election," Nicholson said.

The crime bill will now be put in the hands of the Senate, where the Conservatives also hold a majority.

Nicholson was joined at the press conference by Dale McFee, president of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, and Elizabeth Pousoulidis, a representative of a victims group.

Should MPs give final approval of the omnibus crime bill?

Yes
No
I'm not sure

VoteView Results
Share ThisPolldaddy.com

(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)

"Bill C-10 provides appropriate consequences for serious criminal acts and it will assist in strengthening the public's faith in the justice system," McFee said.

The Conservatives curtailed debate on the controversial bill at each of its stages and the opposition parties have complained about such a big piece of legislation being rushed through Parliament. The government has argued that because the bill contains measures from previous bills, MPs have had plenty of opportunities to consider the proposed changes to the justice system.

"Parliament has seen and debated these measures, some of them for as long as four years. The time for talk is over, the time for action is now," Nicholson told reporters.

He encouraged the Senate to pass the legislation "expeditiously."

The Safe Streets and Communities Act passed the report stage last week, amid some controversy because the government shortened debate on the bill and also tried, and failed, to amend it at the last minute.

The Conservatives had rejected proposed amendments made at the committee by opposition MPs and then days later tried to introduce virtually the same ones, measures related to the bill's anti-terrorism provisions. Speaker Andrew Scheer rejected the government's attempts to amend the bill, ruling that the amendments should have been pitched at the committee.

The government may now try to amend the bill once it gets to the Senate. Opposition MPs say the government's attempts to change the bill prove their argument that it has been rushed through Parliament without enough careful consideration.

If the Senate passes the bill with amendments, it would have to go back to the House of Commons for another final vote before receiving Royal Assent.

Bill C-10 combines nine previous bills that did pass in previous Parliaments and makes major changes to several existing laws. Some aspects of the bill are supported by the opposition parties, such as tougher sentences for sexual crimes committed against children, but MPs have raised particular concerns about the introduction of mandatory minimum sentences for certain drug crimes and changes to young offender laws.

sirex 12-05-2011 09:18 PM

OH shit bitches. And the awesome thing is that they will build more prisons but provinces will be need to foot the bill.

AWESOME. Crime rates are down, so lets make more prisons and make the laws tougher. which raises another question, tough on crime doesn't solve crime. We need to help people get rehabiliated so they aren't repeat offenders and so that people dont get to the point of becoming offenders in the first place.

sirex 12-05-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Under the Tories' omnibus crime legislation tabled Tuesday, a person growing 201 pot plants in a rental unit would receive a longer mandatory sentence than someone who rapes a toddler or forces a five-year-old to have sex with an animal.
Producing six to 200 pot plants nets an automatic six-month sentence, with an extra three months if it's done in a rental or is deemed a public-safety hazard. Growing 201 to 500 plants brings a one-year sentence, or 1 1/2 years if it's in a rental or poses a safety risk.
The omnibus legislation imposes one-year mandatory minimums for sexually assaulting a child, luring a child via the Internet or involving a child in bestiality. All three of these offences carry lighter automatic sentences than those for people running medium-sized grow-ops in rental property or on someone else's land.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Colu...863/story.html

bmdbley'sBro 12-05-2011 10:43 PM

uhm - yeah only been covering it since 2007

last one from me being Oct 19, 2011
Texas conservatives reject Harper's crime plan-say it will cost billions & jail many

and heres the search list for 'minimum mandatory'
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/sear...archid=1579154

Blackedout95 12-05-2011 11:20 PM

Good, it doesnt go far enough imo, we should bring back the death penalty.

It's time to star to get serious about punishment, starting.

dbworld4k 12-05-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirex (Post 1537905)
OH shit bitches. And the awesome thing is that they will build more prisons but provinces will be need to foot the bill.

AWESOME. Crime rates are down, so lets make more prisons and make the laws tougher. which raises another question, tough on crime doesn't solve crime. We need to help people get rehabiliated so they aren't repeat offenders and so that people dont get to the point of becoming offenders in the first place.

+1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1537934)
Good, it doesnt go far enough imo, we should bring back the death penalty.

It's time to star to get serious about punishment, starting.

fcplm

Blackedout95 12-05-2011 11:47 PM

Youre right face palm for all the child molesters, theives, killers etc, death is just not what they deserve.

As for drugs, this damn country has been WAY too soft for way too long and we see it ruining neighborhoods. You have no idea what % of homes in neighborhoods grow in Canada, its huge, why because we're soft.

So do another face palm, you clearly don't know what this country did before you were born and based on the number of foreign criminals should have kept doing.

South 12-06-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1537946)
Youre right face palm for all the child molesters, theives, killers etc, death is just not what they deserve.

As for drugs, this damn country has been WAY too soft for way too long and we see it ruining neighborhoods. You have no idea what % of homes in neighborhoods grow in Canada, its huge, why because we're soft.

So do another face palm, you clearly don't know what this country did before you were born and based on the number of foreign criminals should have kept doing.

fcplm

Blackedout95 12-06-2011 12:25 AM

fcplm

dbworld4k 12-06-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Lol. You're making it way too easy for me to rip you apart but I won't - I feel as if I'd be picking on someone at the Special Olympics.

But, I will grant your request for another face palm: fcplm Merry Christmas!

South 12-06-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

I highlighted the part I am face palming :P

However, lets be fair to the retard guys. If he can find legitimate proof such as a cfdp.ca or statscan.gov source then I will pitch in for his litigation costs against his brain for "non-support". :D

SiR 12-06-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

you are either trolling hard, or a giant mongoloid

Blackedout95 12-06-2011 11:09 AM

Ya, I am a troll for wanting to see tougher laws :eyeroll:

sirex 12-06-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1538018)
Ya, I am a troll for wanting to see tougher laws :eyeroll:

Hey, I don't know if you follow any news any where in the world however many places have tried the approach of getting tough on crime. The reality is, tough on crime does not work.