maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New Aero Mod (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147141)

desmo 11-17-2011 10:53 PM

New Aero Mod

1 Attachment(s)
First spoils of new job. Just sizing it up for next summer.

2008 Acadia lower valence.

It obviously has to be cut shorter, and the corners fixed in a way to wrap around the E30 front end. There is plenty of space for a proper clips/bolts to attach and its about an inch lower than an IS spoiler.

FYI its currently on upside down.

MaxBell 11-17-2011 11:54 PM

I like. I also really like the diving boards with the later model valance. I wonder...

Eurostyle 11-18-2011 12:15 AM

Not feeling it...Too plain. I would try the I+IS lip if you like it lower, but this has no shape.

325isStephen 11-18-2011 12:28 AM

IMO anything lower then the IS lip makes the side profile of the car look stupid, not to mention once the car is actually remotely low it will be gone in a day.

If you want a cheap easy to retrofit lip run a mk3 lip, super flexible and durable, and easy to find. It's the same size as the IS lip, but all the way across so it looks a little lower I suppose. My car in my sig is currently running said lip.

desmo 11-18-2011 09:17 PM

The pic doenst do the shape much justice. Once lined up the bottom would stick out a tad more than top of the spoiler, as well, its a pretty concave shape. Sides will be hard to make look right, and it could be cleaner.

But I actualy have been digging "Front heavy" bumpers that make the bumper stand out more than the side. Trying to dig some inspiration from early aero development huge splitter cars from the 70's. - Quite the opposite of your idea Stephen, lol. Like the mk3 too!

325isStephen 11-18-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmo (Post 1535146)
The pic doenst do the shape much justice. Once lined up the bottom would stick out a tad more than top of the spoiler, as well, its a pretty concave shape. Sides will be hard to make look right, and it could be cleaner.

But I actualy have been digging "Front heavy" bumpers that make the bumper stand out more than the side. Trying to dig some inspiration from early aero development huge splitter cars from the 70's. - Quite the opposite of your idea Stephen, lol. Like the mk3 too!

Ahh ok it makes more sense then haha, personally (as you may have noticed :P) I've never been a fan of the unbalanced side view of a car, but seeing as that's what your going for I can dig it. It somewhat reminds me of an alpina front air dam, look forward to seeing finished pics.

E30M42cab 11-19-2011 01:29 AM

I've got a picture on my old computer of a silver e30 that has an "is" lip, but it has an "i" lip acting as a spacer to lower the "is" lip an extra inch. Know what I mean? Looked good... couldn't tell it was two lips stacked unless you looked right at it.

Bullet Ride 11-19-2011 09:09 AM

Are you using a shift knob as a bump stop lol?

E30M42cab 11-21-2011 11:33 PM

How was the car handling for you on sunday? I didn't see you lapping, but you could have been on the opposite side of the track than me the whole time.

Eurostyle 11-22-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30M42cab (Post 1535172)
I've got a picture on my old computer of a silver e30 that has an "is" lip, but it has an "i" lip acting as a spacer to lower the "is" lip an extra inch. Know what I mean? Looked good... couldn't tell it was two lips stacked unless you looked right at it.

Isn't that what i said! :D:D

mgunter 11-22-2011 10:59 AM

You could definitely use another lip (and a fog light) after this past weekend! :P

desmo 11-23-2011 05:56 PM

Bullet Ride : The shift knob is also an Aero device, it punches a hole through the air to allow the air to slip over our ugly square cars easier lol.

The Mosport event was Amazing! John said it best when we were talking in the portable "Right out of the box" (my car is stock except for M3 CABS) I couldnt believe how much you can push these cars and how forgiving they are. I wish I took along a few more experianced passengers to give some advice on my lines. No complaints with the car or urge to spend tonnes of cash making it faster....yet :)

And becaues this is my "track rat", spoilers will be considered as a maintenance item that needs regular replacement, not a fancy piece for looks only. Nothing a few zipties cant mend. I will have to replace the lense though, although the light still works!

desmo 03-09-2012 10:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Update:

Finished installing this last night. Not sure why I waited so long, it was pretty easy. The original IS lip had 1 OEM clip and a bunch of zip-ties holding it on, but this new spoiler is much more secure.

What do you think? Im sure a clean up and bumper-tuck will tie it all together.

BMe30 03-09-2012 12:00 PM

Get some nice sides and it should look nice at the sides.... Try the ford taurus sides.. They are pretty low and clean like your front lip

Ceeker 03-09-2012 05:32 PM

I think it looks good! :-)