maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec discontinued in 215/40/17?? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146856)

voluted 11-04-2011 04:47 PM

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec discontinued in 215/40/17??
 
Does anyone in the industry know if this is true or not? I was looking to buy a set and my dealer told me the 215/40/17's, and a few of the other smaller sizes, have been discontinued. Say it isn't so :(

Seyar 11-04-2011 05:05 PM

just got back from couple tire shops and they told me the same thing as well as 205/45/16's too.

richie_s999 11-04-2011 06:49 PM

Check if tirerack has any and order them up, Falken 615's would be a good tire too

T.Dot_E30 11-04-2011 07:51 PM

No one in Canada can order star specs directly, unless they are going thru a back channel.

Tire Rack now has exclusive rights to sell them. Just because your local tire shop can't order them they are wrongly assuming they are discontinued.

Tire Rack still has then and they are in stock.

davericher20 11-04-2011 09:13 PM

^^This.

The tire shop lied to you and because of that you should throw a malatov cocktail through their window.
I would be sorely right pissed off if someone lied to me based on a biased opinion simply because they don't have access to it. So they are going to deprive you of one of the most amazing street tires ever made and hope to sell you an inferior product based on a lie.

**** that.

****in bastards.

**** them

everlast 11-05-2011 12:11 PM

They are *awesome* tires.. I'm running that size. Simply amazing, though a little slippy slippy in this weather.

voluted 11-06-2011 01:05 PM

It wasn't a tire shop I was talking to, it was my store's tire distributor that told me that. I guess i'll be ordering from Tire Rack next season and picking them up at the boarder. If I can't get them for cost it's not worth it to buy from a shop here; they are so overpriced.

I could try the falken 615's too i suppose, but i'd like to stick to what I know and love.

sproule905 11-07-2011 08:54 AM

So if I want to run these on the rear's of my M5 I can't? Or meet someone at the border?

T.Dot_E30 11-07-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproule905 (Post 1533196)
So if I want to run these on the rear's of my M5 I can't? Or meet someone at the border?

They can be shipped directly to your house and you can get someone local to install them. If you want to save taxes/shipping, then you can have them shipped to somewhere across the border and pick them up or install them there.

Check the tirerack website for prices (duh!)

Mystikal 11-07-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voluted (Post 1533075)
my store's tire distributor

Still a liar, if just indirectly. They (meaning everyone selling Star Specs in North America) are buying them at retail from Tire Rack and reselling them at a markup.

I moved from Star Spec to R-S3 and have zero regrets BTW. A little more daily comforts and easily equal on the track.

dble Trouble 11-07-2011 08:01 PM

I bought my star specs from tire rack shipped to my wife's work in Markham 205/50/16. I had a friend of mine mount them. The process couldn't have been easier and cheaper. Landed here in August I paid $765.00 everything in. That's tires, taxes, duties, brokerage fees, and shipping. I got quoted $1100 and up locally, which basically tells me they would buy from tirerack at the same price I paid and the difference is their markup. eff that shit.

dble Trouble 11-07-2011 08:05 PM

On another note, I have yet to find a better performing tire for the money. I've driven on dozens and dozens of different performance tires and these are one of the best. Few rivals. However, on the race track if you're a more experienced you would definitely want an r compound as I did put excessive wear on these at mosport in September. I was able to turn 1:46 consistently on these tires however which is really REALLY close to an r compound on my car.....that shows the grip they have, just it doesn't last, after 15 minutes of hard lapping they start to give up a little bit. RT-615's arent' even in the same league as these tires, only they are cheaper, so if cost is an issue????? I'd still go with the star specs.

craz azn 11-07-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble (Post 1533303)
On another note, I have yet to find a better performing tire for the money. I've driven on dozens and dozens of different performance tires and these are one of the best. Few rivals. However, on the race track if you're a more experienced you would definitely want an r compound as I did put excessive wear on these at mosport in September. I was able to turn 1:46 consistently on these tires however which is really REALLY close to an r compound on my car.....that shows the grip they have, just it doesn't last, after 15 minutes of hard lapping they start to give up a little bit. RT-615's arent' even in the same league as these tires, only they are cheaper, so if cost is an issue????? I'd still go with the star specs.

In 2007, my third time ever driving Mosport GP, I managed to do 46s with my car, and I had RT-615s on stock 14s. Just saying... I'd say at the very least the 615K is in the same league. Admittedly, the 615 got greasy really quick, but the speed/grip was in them.

Also, for the first few AutoXs of '07, it was some of the funnest I've ever had battling Jay, with stock M20ed E30s, just different tires and suspension setups. He was on Hankooks (RS2, or RS3? Can't remember) and I was on my RT-615s. Usually it was pretty evenly matched.

Just my 0.02$

dble Trouble 11-07-2011 10:49 PM

^^That's not what you've told me in the past. You've said it was more like 1:50's but you never really timed it???? I challenge you to get a reasonably stock e30 around mosport in 1:46's. I barely do that with R compounds. Unless that was with your j stock suspension or your stroker.....if that is the case this comparison is useless. I on the other hand did go around with 615's on the same car and 1:48 is what I got, same car........

craz azn 11-07-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble (Post 1533334)
^^That's not what you've told me in the past. You've said it was more like 1:50's but you never really timed it???? I challenge you to get a reasonably stock e30 around mosport in 1:46's. I barely do that with R compounds. Unless that was with your j stock suspension or your stroker.....if that is the case this comparison is useless. I on the other hand did go around with 615's on the same car and 1:48 is what I got, same car........

Umm, yes it is John. I know what I've said in the past because my story doesn't change. You are always so optimistic with laptimes, but now you are being stingy because I don't agree with what you are saying? Common dude... At the time, my E30 was exactly the same configuration as yours is now, ie motor, suspension and all, except tires. You know perfectly well I went much faster than 46s with the modded car as per all of '09, '10, and '11 that you've known me.

So now you say you've tried 615s on your black E30? I don't ever recall you running those. I do however remember saying you were eager to try out 615s when you bought your Jetta wagon and you thought they sucked. But that's no E30.

I'll take that challenge though :) Next year?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.