maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   driving e30 through the winter with all seasons? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146799)

jasonbaek 11-01-2011 05:21 PM

driving e30 through the winter with all seasons?

Yeah I know what you guys think but in this winter I'm only gonna drive around toronto downtown 15km per day..(I can even ride a subway when it's really snowy) and I'm out of country for whole December. Until now I had no problem driving downtown with all seasons but I never drove rwd with no traction control in winter so I'm bit worried.
What do you guys think? I hope I can get through the winter with some sand bags in trunk and my michelin exalto..

E30M42cab 11-01-2011 06:07 PM

Steer with your rear wheels like we all do. Winters or not, you will still lose traction unless you drive like a granny. Traction control is for sissies.

BMe30 11-01-2011 06:08 PM

i wouldnt...
get snows.. dont use sandbags.. and everything will be fine

phreshSOCKS 11-01-2011 06:18 PM

I drove all last year in my other e30 lowered with shitty tires and no weight in the trunk. Drove 40 mins highway and city everyday and never really had to many problems, other than plowing the highway for free and having to avoid certain roads. I know its not the greatest thing to do with a classic but I'm a broke e30 fan and sadly you won't be alone as I will be doing the same. Not the best idea for such a classic but a lot of fun in an empty parking lot.

BMe30 11-01-2011 06:21 PM

empty parking lot? any corner lol more so when you have lsd rear end!

jasonbaek 11-01-2011 06:36 PM

No worries. I normally drive like a granny.. I guess I shouldn't take mt pleasant downhill in winter..and I can stick with ttc although they get shittier in winter

North 11-01-2011 06:45 PM

last winter I drove on half-worn all seasons, mostly because of a lack of money. This year the plan was to garage the e30 and take the bus, but that is no longer an option, so I'm going to rock some balloon winters on basketweaves, hopefully that'll counteract the H&R Races.

Eurostyle 11-02-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbaek (Post 1532375)
Yeah I know what you guys think but in this winter I'm only gonna drive around toronto downtown 15km per day..(I can even ride a subway when it's really snowy) and I'm out of country for whole December. Until now I had no problem driving downtown with all seasons but I never drove rwd with no traction control in winter so I'm bit worried.
What do you guys think? I hope I can get through the winter with some sand bags in trunk and my michelin exalto..

What is the point of posting if you already know!? You just need someone to tell you its OK to feel better!? Just go take a look at this http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146723
This was an experienced driver, with very capable car...You would be lucky if the ABS still works in an E30! Anyone trying to save $$$ from buying tires should stay home...keep the rest of us safe. I'm sorry if i sound harsh, but i gotta look at crashed cars like this all day, and this s#it is scary..

lumlumty 11-02-2011 11:39 AM

quote "Steer with your rear wheels like we all do. Winters or not, you will still lose traction unless you drive like a granny. Traction control is for sissies."

Buy winter tires. I am glad they made it mandatory in Quebec.
I have Hakkapelitta 5 and I don't have a problem. I only got stuck on once last year.
Yes it does take more time when you stop on a hill but other then that it is fine.
Shovel and a salt bag to melt ice with good tires and you should be fine. LSD definitely helps too.

propr'one 11-02-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1532433)
Anyone trying to save $$$ from buying tires should stay home...keep the rest of us safe. I'm sorry if i sound harsh, but i gotta look at crashed cars like this all day, and this s#it is scary..

I'm with Fil.

Buy winter tires. If you're buying a used set, make sure they're less than 5 years old and have LOTS of tread (Winter tires drop off pretty noticeably under 50% tread, they're practically un-usable). Finally, don't trust your tires until you learn where the grip is or isn't.

Winter tires are less than your deductible for your insurance. Its not worth the risk.

jasonbaek 11-02-2011 12:35 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I'll have to find a storage to store my all seasons first, one of my friends should be able to help with that.. If not I'll just take the ttc when there's snow.

T.Dot_E30 11-02-2011 12:38 PM

14'' snows are F****** cheap, i wish i could go back to those.

If your broke ass can't afford $100 for two brand new snows, you shouldn't be driving.

Ceeker 11-02-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1532502)
14'' snows are F****** cheap, i wish i could go back to those.

If your broke ass can't afford $100 for two brand new snows, you shouldn't be driving.

LOL so true!!!!

jasonbaek 11-02-2011 01:58 PM

As soon as I find place to store my euroweaves, I'll try to get set of used snows with bottlecaps or 14" steelies. Thanks.

DR.ZED 11-02-2011 04:03 PM

Most accidents in the winter come down to "if only I had the extra foot of stopping power."

Winter tires will give you that.

If you've never experienced the traction of winter tires, you're in for something you've never expected. Get a newer set that isn't well worn.

I drove my lowered Camaro with good winter tires for 3 seasons. I went places most cars were not able to, no kidding.