maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Random brake pressure release/jerk/lurch and *CLICK sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145746)

BMWdouche 09-15-2011 11:50 PM

Random brake pressure release/jerk/lurch and *CLICK sound

Hi guys... here are the symptoms:

1. (New problem - post-mod) There's a forward lurch/jerk RIGHT before the car comes to a stop (around 5km/h) and it feels like it loses brake pressure for a split second. This only happens randomly.. not something that happens all the time.

2. (Old problem - pre-mod) There has always been this sharp metallic CLICK/TICK sound whenever I let off gas in 1st gear.. and during changes in elevation.. feels like there is loose metal somewhere that is hitting against something during momentum changes.. sounds like it is coming from the underside near the rear of the car..
(..put car in first.. let off clutch.. gas.. let off gas *click during forward momentum change) or (going up hill and *click as it descends and the momentum shifts upwards)

Mods (for the FIRST issue only..)
New brakes all around
New rims/tires
K&N drop in
Cyba Scoops

Thanks!

JINT 09-16-2011 12:06 AM

if it clunks when u hit the brake and let go, the balljoint in your front control arm is shot

MANDD 09-16-2011 08:30 AM

For Item 2, I have done quite a lot of these. This is very common on the E90, the noise is fron the rear differential pinion flange.

The fix is to remove the flange, clean splines and then apply loctite 290 to the splines. Grease the rear cup, replace the shaft seal and lock plate.

Mark.

BMWdouche 09-16-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANDD (Post 1523888)
For Item 2, I have done quite a lot of these. This is very common on the E90, the noise is fron the rear differential pinion flange.

The fix is to remove the flange, clean splines and then apply loctite 290 to the splines. Grease the rear cup, replace the shaft seal and lock plate.

Mark.

man you guys are great.. thanks! I can't really DIY this.. so my follow up questions are:

1) Is this something that I HAVE TO get fixed or is it strictly an annoyance
2) Where can I get something like this fixed
3) How much do you think it is gonna cost me?

MANDD 09-16-2011 02:28 PM

There is typically no detrimental effect from this issue just the annoyance from the clicking.

The cost to repair is around $390.00

Mark.

Ceeker 09-16-2011 02:52 PM

That lurch you are speaking of may be your master cylinder is on it's way out. Also check vacuum line to booster for a vacuum leak.

BMWdouche 09-16-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1523943)
That lurch you are speaking of may be your master cylinder is on it's way out. Also check vacuum line to booster for a vacuum leak.

lol no idea what these things are... but I've read the vacuum issue before on related threads..

do i just wait for something to break and then take it into RMP?

BigD 09-16-2011 07:50 PM

The lurch almost sounds like it's just a downshift... the transmission pops down a gear, revving up the engine, which reduces the vacuum and the brake assist.

edit: hmm saw yours isn't auto. Not sure what causes the lurch, but the lurch would result in the engine revving so that would explain the brake assist loss