maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   'car on hoist' service light--Help (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145485)

BSL 09-04-2011 12:00 PM

'car on hoist' service light--Help

Car is 2006 325i.
I am having trouble getting rid of the warning lights- (red circle with explanation point) and the Red 'car on hoist' light.

According to everything I've read so far, this combination of lights means the front or rear brake sensor indicates worn out pads..

I replaced the pads, and the sensors.

I followed the instructions on utube to reset the service reminders, But the car on hoist light still comes on every time I start the car.

I went into the service reset mode (holding in the button stalk on the gauge cluster). The red rear brake indicator came up, and I reset it (holding the reset button in).

What am I missing??

I am sure I am doing something wrong with the reset procedure.
Just for kicks, I tried to reset all the service warnings on a Different car, (another 2006 325i). The spark plugs, filters, brake pads etc etc all seemed to reset ok..... and now the car on hoist/Ebrake light comes on!!

Please tell me how to get rid of these warning indicators.

everlast 09-06-2011 10:12 AM

I think it means your car needs a service interval checkup, not specific items like brake flush, pads or the like.

I have been able to reset the checkup on a Mini (same electronics). It is finicky and I had to be very careful, but once I had the service mode unlocked it was pretty simple.

BSL 09-06-2011 10:36 AM

Thank you.
Looking for some specific instructions...

I scrolled thru all the resetabble options, and reset them all.
The car on hoist light wasn't on before, but now it is.

everlast 09-06-2011 10:38 AM

To be clear, you're already in the service menu right?

BSL 09-07-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1521958)
To be clear, you're already in the service menu right?

Ya.
I can get into the service menu, and reset the mileage timers for things such as sparkplugs, pollen filter etc.
I try to rest the rear brake, and the timer doesn't finish. It simply wont reset.

blakneto 09-07-2011 12:18 AM

stupid guess... could it be traction control? bad tires? faulty shocks? rotors? make sure the sensors didn't break when you put them on. (if they are new???)

everlast 09-07-2011 01:12 AM

I don't think that graphic implies anything wrong, just an interval. I'd review the documentation. Like I said, I found it a little finicky but I've been able to reset all of them. What instructions are you using?

SamE30e 09-07-2011 09:48 PM

Assuming you don't have a CID and are just going through the cluster. Scroll down to service info. It will tell you what needs to be done, the car on the hoist means service is due, could be a vehicle check.

BSL 09-07-2011 11:29 PM

Thanks guys.
Yes, I'm going through the cluster- No CID.
I was able to clear the service light on the second car: I replaced the rear sensor. Then reset the service reminder. All good. I should have left the service reminder alone.

The first car still puzzles me. It has new pads, rotors and a new sensor in the rear, yet the service minder still wont reset. The 'car on lift' light is red. The Emergency brake light is on and red too.
When I scroll through the service minder menu, the rear brakes are lit in red, but wont reset.

I'm starting to think I have a bad sensor.

DimSumE90 10-11-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSL (Post 1522334)
Thanks guys.
Yes, I'm going through the cluster- No CID.
I was able to clear the service light on the second car: I replaced the rear sensor. Then reset the service reminder. All good. I should have left the service reminder alone.

The first car still puzzles me. It has new pads, rotors and a new sensor in the rear, yet the service minder still wont reset. The 'car on lift' light is red. The Emergency brake light is on and red too.
When I scroll through the service minder menu, the rear brakes are lit in red, but wont reset.

I'm starting to think I have a bad sensor.

If you have followed the steps posted like this one,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVc2JlgKGe0
then you should not be getting any red lights on your dash. Could be a faulty sensor or faulty connector leading to the sensor.

SamE30e 10-31-2011 10:26 PM

Every time you replace the sensor you need to reset the CBS Data. Google it, it can be done through the cluster.

Blackedout95 10-31-2011 10:50 PM

If I recall I reset a 2006 coupe light last week...

Started the car
waited for lights etc to come on in the center, even tapped the stalk button on left of wheel ( indicator selector ) to speed up the process
Held down gauge button for 3-10 sec and..
Once the light showed up I wanted to reset I then held down the stalk button ( this is the indicator stalk btw ) for another 3-10 sec.
The dash will say RESET, let go of button and push and hold again for 3-10 sec.
The Light should change color (like from yellow to green or red to yellow) and reset is done. If done properly it will not be available to reset again if you try.

Hope that helps and btw I read 4 ways to do it, some involve position 2 with key in and press start button (nobrake) but that never wroked on this car so I just started it up.