maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   E38 M62 oil level reading to high (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144729)

Boxer2 08-02-2011 08:48 PM

E38 M62 oil level reading to high
 
I have a customer looking into purchasing a 2001 740i which according to the current owner the oil level is reading to high. The correct amount of oil has been put into the engine but still reads to high....has anyone ever had this issue? looking for possible causes, any info would be appreciated.

Bullet Ride 08-02-2011 10:04 PM

The correct amount of oil verified by you? If not, verify it yourself, maybe they put oil in the car while the front end was still jacked up. Another potential answer (although unlikely) is the dipstick was swapped with one that is slightly longer. Hopefully someone wasn't using conventional oil in it and neglecting oil changes because that could cause sludge build up in the oil pan not to mention the valvetrain.

Boxer2 08-02-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1516002)
The correct amount of oil verified by you? If not, verify it yourself, maybe they put oil in the car while the front end was still jacked up. Another potential answer (although unlikely) is the dipstick was swapped with one that is slightly longer. Hopefully someone wasn't using conventional oil in it and neglecting oil changes because that could cause sludge build up in the oil pan not to mention the valvetrain.

no not verified by me, one of my regular customers called me today asking me questions pertaining to this issue, I also thought maybe the wrong dipstick, either way I would like to verify the car myself, and was looking for potential causes before the car comes in.

Dado 540 08-03-2011 02:02 AM

check the part number on the dip stick.

Boxer2 08-03-2011 11:53 AM

The owner is stating that there is pressure build up in the emission system causing the oil level to raise??? does this sound right?

Bullet Ride 08-03-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer2 (Post 1516116)
The owner is stating that there is pressure build up in the emission system causing the oil level to raise??? does this sound right?

If there was any substantial pressure in the crank case when the car was shut off (which seems unlikely) it would either seep past the rings or it would be released when the dip stick is pulled out.

Boxer2 08-03-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1516121)
If there was any substantial pressure in the crank case when the car was shut off (which seems unlikely) it would either seep past the rings or it would be released when the dip stick is pulled out.

I'm also thinking maybe the level was checked too soon after switch off so there would have been 'splash back' up the dipstick

Bullet Ride 08-03-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer2 (Post 1516126)
I'm also thinking maybe the level was checked too soon after switch off so there would have been 'splash back' up the dipstick

Yeah, always wipe it off first, put it back in and then check the level. My car would always be overfilled if I checked the level based off of what I see when I first pull the dipstick out.

Boxer2 08-16-2011 11:09 PM

well I finally got a hold of this car, and I can't find any evidence of rising oil levels, my guess is this guy don't know apples from oranges when it comes to cars:D......turns out this car is in excellent condition, and was well looked after, all service records from day one are present, very nice E38

740-iLL 08-17-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer2 (Post 1518424)
:D......turns out this car is in excellent condition, and was well looked after, all service records from day one are present, very nice E38

^ that sounds great!

Dammerung 12-29-2011 04:05 AM

Anyone bothered to check the codes for oil pressure sensor?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014