maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   problem with dash lights (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144621)

Ceeker 07-28-2011 10:02 PM

problem with dash lights
 
1 Attachment(s)
so I had a problem with the car holding a charge. On that really hot day the car started in the morning and wouldn't start as the car and the day heated up. I needed to jump start it but took little effort. it did this like clockwork the whole week. Morning she starts when cool and later no start.

I rebuilt the starter; I rebuilt the alt; and changed the bat. now I get this. The 3 lights at the bottom come up when at idle; as I rev the motor upward to 2 grand it fades out and stays out as long as I don't let it return to idle.

sorry bout the large pic.

any ideas or help would be appreciated.

E30M42cab 07-28-2011 11:12 PM

Last time I changed my alternator, those lights came on for a bit upon first startup. Once I got the car's revs up, they went away and stayed away. When you rebuilt your alternator, you changed your voltage reguator? Maybe it's the wrong one? Maybe it's faulty? I don't know, that's just a stab in the dark, but those lights like to come on when the car stalls (or almosts stalls, but keeps running) so I'd think it's related to the alternator more than anything... like the belt not being tight enough, but I'd expect you to know how to change a belt by now.

Ceeker 07-28-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30M42cab (Post 1515355)
Last time I changed my alternator, those lights came on for a bit upon first startup. Once I got the car's revs up, they went away and stayed away. When you rebuilt your alternator, you changed your voltage reguator? Maybe it's the wrong one? Maybe it's faulty? I don't know, that's just a stab in the dark, but those lights like to come on when the car stalls (or almosts stalls, but keeps running) so I'd think it's related to the alternator more than anything... like the belt not being tight enough, but I'd expect you to know how to change a belt by now.

thanks Scott, it was rebuilt a couple years ago but never used. I suspected it might be the voltage regulator being faulty. so I might change it to see what happens. thanks again; oh and the matching visors is a cool things on the coupe. I don't know if I'd do away with the vert one because I like the plastic folder for the roof instructions. :-)

E30M42cab 07-28-2011 11:28 PM

Yeah, my vert never came with the instructions for whatever reason. Maybe it did, but was removed after it got all faded and yellow. Anyways, check that regulator and let me know.

everlast 07-28-2011 11:53 PM

Before you just go randomly changing things, why not check the voltage during charge and during load (headlights / rear defogger) and post the results?

Ceeker 07-29-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1515361)
Before you just go randomly changing things, why not check the voltage during charge and during load (headlights / rear defogger) and post the results?

I honestly thought about that; but I had a new alt kicking around and 15min later it was in. the starter took a bit longer. lol. both needed changing; they were on there way out after inspecting them. thanks for the input.

everlast 07-29-2011 09:24 AM

Ya makes sense. So, shoot down to Princess Auto or XS Cargo and find a multimeter. Its something that once you have you'll wonder how you go buy without. Get a digital one, but don't spend more than $10. Princess Auto have them on sale all the time for $6.

Then you can really get into the trouble shooting aspect of this before you have to buy any more parts.

Ceeker 07-29-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1515391)
Ya makes sense. So, shoot down to Princess Auto or XS Cargo and find a multimeter. Its something that once you have you'll wonder how you go buy without. Get a digital one, but don't spend more than $10. Princess Auto have them on sale all the time for $6.

Then you can really get into the trouble shooting aspect of this before you have to buy any more parts.

the alt was free and the starter cost me 70.00. so it wasn't toooo bad.. :-)
my buddy can bench test my two alts to see if one might need rebuilding. He suspects it's the voltage reg. since there is good connection/power as the batt light goes out. but might not be charging at low rpms. I got one of those meters...talk about lazy on my part...LOL.

BmW1819 07-29-2011 12:58 PM

put a multimeter on and check to see what your alternator is putting out :)

Ceeker 07-29-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BmW1819 (Post 1515437)
put a multimeter on and check to see what your alternator is putting out :)

red lead goes on the + ? black goes on the body of the alt or the ground -?
I guess I set the meter to volts?

karmatose 07-29-2011 02:03 PM

DMM 101:

Go to V on the dial. 200 should do it as you want to see two digits and a decimal place.

Put the red lead on what you want to test (obviously) and the black lead to the body.

Ceeker 07-29-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmatose (Post 1515454)
DMM 101:

Go to V on the dial. 200 should do it as you want to see two digits and a decimal place.

Put the red lead on what you want to test (obviously) and the black lead to the body.

will do! thank you belly belly much!! :-)

karmatose 07-29-2011 10:46 PM

If you DON'T get a reading, try a different spot on the body for ground before giving up on it. If you're looking at stuff under the hood at the fuse box, use one of the bolts on the shock tower. The shock tower itself won't give you the ground you need.

Ceeker 07-29-2011 11:08 PM

There are a couple of things I am going to also look over. 1) wear on the belt. 2) the v- pulley on the rebuilt is slightly larger outside diameter and deeper groove. So I wonder if the belt is sitting snug in the channel? Also might tighten it some more to see if that changes anything. I did tighten it but! maybe the belt is tired.. I did drive the car tonight for about 30min on the highway to see if I am draining the battery and it apparently isn't. So I think it is charging.

thanks again for your help.
Tomorrow is another day!

BmW1819 07-30-2011 12:57 AM

first thing first is the alternator charging???? cause i no some cars when first started all lights are on till u rev to like 1000 rpms, than lights stay out. So check to see if it's charging put it on the battery terminals when the car is running


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.