maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Any good indy shop for smg problems? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144534)

mmmdddmmm333 07-23-2011 05:05 PM

Any good indy shop for smg problems?

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and being new to the smg trans I'm looking for any recommendations on a good indy shop that can diagnose or read codes for my 03 M3 with smg. Lately in the heat it's been displaying the yellow cog on the dash along with the ses light. Can anyone recommend a good indy shop they have dealt with in the GTA that has properly diagnosed their smg issues? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

///M-TRD3 07-23-2011 06:45 PM

Hi there, Welcome to the forum. I would strongly recommend Stance Factory. Mike (who will work on your car) has extensive experience with your car and all its systems. You're sure to be in good hands.

- Phone: 647-889-9554 - E-mail: info@stancefactory.com

dbworld4k 07-23-2011 09:01 PM

^Couldn't agree more.

new member 07-25-2011 12:56 AM

You can let 20 year olds fix your car or let people who have 20 years experience with BMW fix your car.

Its your call, I suggest the latter.

Advanced Knowledge Automotive at 346 Newkirk Road, Richmond Hill
905-883-4BMW

It's run by Trevor Hayes whos a BMW Master Tech with 20 years experience in BMWs.

T.Dot_E30 07-25-2011 08:59 AM

What good is 20 years experience if you don't keep up with new technologies? (aka smg, even thought it's 10yr tech, 90% of shops know squat about it as they are only now starting to see them)

I'm not saying anything about the shop you recommended, but most older guys don't know much about newer technologies or even like working with it, so bashing the younger guys who have worked with it and likely fixed more SMG cars isn't really a worthwhile argument...

I'd rather a knowledgeable and experienced younger tech work on an s54, than an old guiser who hasn't even seen one, let alone change the oil on one. (I'm sure some might know there shit, but i'm just making a stupid generalization like you did).

Quote:

Originally Posted by new member (Post 1514673)
You can let 20 year olds fix your car or let people who have 20 years experience with BMW fix your car.

Its your call, I suggest the latter.

Advanced Knowledge Automotive at 346 Newkirk Road, Richmond Hill
905-883-4BMW

It's run by Trevor Hayes whos a BMW Master Tech with 20 years experience in BMWs.

new member 07-25-2011 11:01 AM

First of all you're overreacting to a simple joke. Secondly this isnt an old guiser shop.

Trevor Hayes has been a BMW Master Tech working for BMW and just recently opened his own shop. He has more experience working on latest cars then any of the other shops here in GTA. He also has more equipment then other shops to properly diagnose and fix your car.

You just dont know this shop thats why you overreacted.

T.Dot_E30 07-25-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new member (Post 1514673)

Quote:

Originally Posted by new member (Post 1514721)
First of all you're overreacting to a simple joke.

I see no way how this can be considered a joke, infact I consider it insulting.\

Quote:

I don't care about the shop, I have no need to. I'm focusing on your insult and insinuating comments.
Saying one shop is better than another is stupid, insulting someone because of your perception of their age shows your ignorance.

///M-TRD3 07-25-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quite the contrary it seems. Likewise, I think your intial comments were unfair and rather tasteless. I do not know the shop you mentioned, and have nothing bad to say about the technician you mentioned or his credentials (or in your case age, resume etc.)

The gentlemen over at Stance Factory are not of the age you mention. On a interesting note, well worthy of consideration, they both own and operate BMW's with the S54 platform in them, and are well versed in all equipment related to this platform. I would love to know that a person servicing my car owns and operates the same or very similar, just a bonus when it comes to experience. Any shop in this case will be subject to the experience that can only naturally apply to < 10 year old technology.

Let's not use tenure as a bar here. If that were the case, would it be fair to say my opinion is better than yours because I have 9 years more experience with it on this BMW forum ;) (now that is how you make a harmless joke).

To the original poster, go by any shops you've been put onto or give them a call to see what impression you get. I surely reitirate that you'll be in good hands at Stance Factory.

Best of luck.

mmmdddmmm333 07-26-2011 04:23 PM

I did in fact visit stance factory. I showed up without an appointment and was cordially fit in to their schedule. Both Jay and Mike were very courteous, polite and very helpful as they solved my minor issue with the smg. I am sure other shops are very reputible and well suited to meet the needs of our various cars and I appreciate everyone's valued opinions. Thanks to everyone for your help and information. As always our BMW fellowship is obviously dedicated to helping out fellow owners in need.
Cheers*wave*

damameke 07-26-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmdddmmm333 (Post 1514972)
Both Jay and Mike were very courteous, polite and very helpful

I echo that... and Mike answers any question you have...good work ethic..
glad you got your issue resolved...