maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Windows rolling down, doors unlocking ON THIER OWN (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144489)

BADRAT 07-21-2011 11:54 AM

Windows rolling down, doors unlocking ON THIER OWN

its been crazy hot, and its really beating up my car. or my car is possessed. for one thing, the doors will not lock properly. i will stand by my car, lock it and it will unlock itself, its a constant battle. on top of that, the windows and sunroof will open! the worst thing is, it will do this when im not there! when im out, when i sleep the damn car will do this on its own!

any suggestions? some people think its the GM5 module, others think lock actuator others say the key fob. hmmm really annoying! please help fcplm

Ceeker 07-21-2011 11:58 AM

the actuator itself can't do this. Did you install anything aftermarket such as an alarm system?

BADRAT 07-21-2011 12:07 PM

the only thing aftermarket that i could see doin this is the angel eyes. i have them remote wired, but because i dont have footwell lights i tapped into the central lighting right off of the module behind the glovebox. think this might have anything to do with it?

Renboy 07-21-2011 12:39 PM

I would go with lock cylinder in the drivers door. When you turn the key to unlock and hold it there, the windows open, the doors unlock, and the sunroof opens...exactly as you described. I'm guessing it's making contact when it shouldn't be and creating all these symptoms.

BADRAT 07-21-2011 12:49 PM

Windows rolling down, doors unlocking ON THIER OWN

hmm thats odd, just tried that and nothing happens. counter clockwise unlocks drivers, clockwise locks, again counter clockwise opens all, clockwise locks drivers. no windows roll when held at any of those points. i have a 2000 323i

Edit: I've been away for a few days and my brother took the liberty to use my car. I just asked him, and he said he would manually unlock the door using the key. This is something I never do, I use the key fob button. Maybe it tweaked something when he did this? I stuck the key in now and fiddled with it, the doors locked without a fight... Maybe it'll stay locked. Ill report back if it gets crazy again. Well see

BADRAT 07-26-2011 11:59 PM

Yup, everything is now good. Hope the problem doesn't arise in the future, for now it seems fixed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

BmW1819 07-27-2011 10:23 PM

common problem in e46's it needs a door latch drivers side check you drivers door key cylinder to it might be broken to

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRAT (Post 1514160)
hmm thats odd, just tried that and nothing happens. counter clockwise unlocks drivers, clockwise locks, again counter clockwise opens all, clockwise locks drivers. no windows roll when held at any of those points. i have a 2000 323i

Edit: I've been away for a few days and my brother took the liberty to use my car. I just asked him, and he said he would manually unlock the door using the key. This is something I never do, I use the key fob button. Maybe it tweaked something when he did this? I stuck the key in now and fiddled with it, the doors locked without a fight... Maybe it'll stay locked. Ill report back if it gets crazy again. Well see

steve.325i 08-03-2011 12:00 AM

^^^
+1

Yup, I agree with you guys. Driver door lock cylinder. The brother 'cleaned' the contacts by using it. Smart brother :)