maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Friday, July 8th - Great price for Mosport GP Track lapping! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143655)

blotto649 06-14-2011 11:26 PM

Friday, July 8th - Great price for Mosport GP Track lapping!
 
Johnston Research and Performance are hosting a lapping day at Mosport on Friday, July 8th.

$250 +HST
2 run groups - beginner and advanced
25 minute sessions, rotating all day aside from an hour for lunch - a lot of track time for that price

More details can be found here...
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196291690408892

craz azn 07-09-2011 01:06 AM

After todays event, I would highly recommend looking into tracktime with an alternate group. The organizer(s) have NO IDEA on how to run a safe, and controlled environment... and it has really opened my eyes to 'you get what you pay for' even when it comes to tracktime.

In my opinion, JRP lapping days are a step under CSCS events. And I hope that sends a message.

STALKER 07-09-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1512101)
After todays event, I would highly recommend looking into tracktime with an alternate group. The organizer(s) have NO IDEA on how to run a safe, and controlled environment... and it has really opened my eyes to 'you get what you pay for' even when it comes to tracktime.

In my opinion, JRP lapping days are a step under CSCS events. And I hope that sends a message.

Thanks for the feedback.

doogee 07-10-2011 01:57 AM

I attended this event. Let's just say I never will again!

Once again, the organizers didn't seem to know what was going on. First we showed up at 8:30 for the drivers meeting to find we had to wait until 10:00 to get on track! The day before I was told on the phone we would be on at 9:00. Then there weren't enough marshalls which caused even more of a delay. I was also told there would be 4 groups running. Nope! We had a beginner group with instructors and one advanced group. So about 10 people in beginner and almost 30 in the advanced group. 70% of the drivers in advanced should of been with an instructor.

Some drivers were strictly dangerous and weren't penalized. I cant even count how many people went off track and just plowed their way back on track in front of me. I had groups of 3-5 cars diving into turns in front of me without me pointing them by. Basically what was happening was a race. I was about to pull off and leave on my second lap. It was that ridiculous.

Someone managed to smash into the wall on the inside of turn 2 and it took an hour to clean up because there wasn't even a tow truck! While passing by, someone in front of me decided to come to a complete stop! Another thing that some people were doing was slowing down to about 50km for their "cool down". That may work at Cayuga, but not at Mosport when you have people doing 160km into blind turns.

When I was heading out to my last session of the day, I was let out and black flagged on my first lap. Why? They shut the track down just to open the gates to let a car out! I didn't pay to sit in the pits. So after complaining, i was told they were going to push it until 5:15. But if you've been to Mosport, you know the track closes at 5:00. Everyone has to be off by 5:00. The organizers were in hot water after that.


In the end I had to learn to deal with dangerous drivers and completely incompetent organizers.

Monaco_N54 07-10-2011 02:55 AM

Wow, I'm glad you guys made these posts. I was at MoSport for the Canada Day long weekend and it was a very well organized event with beginners/intermed/advanced drivers (no issues from what I saw).

Clearly the organizers are very important.

doogee 07-10-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monaco_N54 (Post 1512201)
Wow, I'm glad you guys made these posts. I was at MoSport for the Canada Day long weekend and it was a very well organized event with beginners/intermed/advanced drivers (no issues from what I saw).

Clearly the organizers are very important.

Which group were you with?

STALKER 07-12-2011 12:23 PM

Are Kensai events run the same way.

BigD 07-12-2011 01:11 PM

The Touge ones are the same thing if not worse.

craz azn 07-12-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STALKER (Post 1512574)
Are Kensai events run the same way.

I went to a Kensai event in 2008... it was alright. At least they have a somewhat proper track etiquette and some seasoned racers running the day (lead instructor of the group is Aaron Povoledo).

jaym3smg 07-12-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STALKER (Post 1512574)
Are Kensai events run the same way.

No, they are run well. But they do attract some idiots. Fortunately the marshals and instructor keeps them STRICTLY in line.

-J

dble Trouble 07-12-2011 10:22 PM

Maybe I'm spoiled with the BMW Clubs, but I can't stand these lapping days. I've not been to one that was run well, or that morons weren't in attendance. For most, they should not be hosting/running lapping days. Although I understand the BMW Clubs are performance driving schools, and not lapping days, the event is run slick, and organized. In the end you ARE lapping just with an instructor shot gun and lots of learning. I'm not trying to thread crash here but I get ever frustrated by these unorganized, unsafe run events.

jaym3smg 07-12-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble (Post 1512693)
Maybe I'm spoiled with the BMW Clubs, but I can't stand these lapping days. I've not been to one that was run well, or that morons weren't in attendance. For most, they should not be hosting/running lapping days. Although I understand the BMW Clubs are performance driving schools, and not lapping days, the event is run slick, and organized. In the end you ARE lapping just with an instructor shot gun and lots of learning. I'm not trying to thread crash here but I get ever frustrated by these unorganized, unsafe run events.

I'm with you there, but unfortunately you're always going to get morons who do stupid things, the BMW events are no exception. IIRC there's a few instructors who have done more than a few questionable moves (off's) at the BMW ones... though that is much more the exception than the rule (1 incident per year rather than per day, lol). The problem for me and many others I am sure is doing Mosport 3 times a year is just not enough, I need more of that glorious track :) So I hit the Kensai days as well as 6th gear on occasion. The cost for either is quite reasonable and they are well run. I've heard EA days are great as well but they are double the price.

So personally I've found that 6th gear and Kensai are the best ones (along with the BMW Trillium ones of course :) ).

-J

mpower1226 07-12-2011 10:45 PM

The very reason why I dont host any more lapping days(I've used to organize lapping days for about 4~5 yrs up until 'lapping days' became 'cool'. Because some of these if not most are organized for business purpose, they usually grab all the good days esp nowadays. I simply cannot book good days. I gave up. One other reason is I dont want my days to be runined by bad apples. so to simple preserve the good memories, I stopped organizing events.

Lots of ppl from max actually participated in my events, Randy being instructor also BigD used to be good regular participant.

I miss those days lol. I had good run while it lasted.

luluxiu 08-18-2011 10:39 PM

I have not run, or attend the meeting, low energy. For most, they should not be managed / run grinding days. Although I understand the BMW club performance driving school, rather than grinding days, the event is running smooth and organized.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.