maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing & Care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   where to buy paint (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142834)

dcramer 05-10-2011 03:59 PM

where to buy paint
 
Need to paint the front clip of my car. The bumper is the harder part, since it has lots of chips. Was told high build primer is the way to go here, but can only get it in gallons which is way too much.

Also need base/clear. Again clear only comes in gallons.... wtf ?

Anyone know where you can buy less than a gallon of both clear and primer ?

Dave

simplycars 05-10-2011 04:15 PM

c-max from napa can sell you different quantities - high build primer is avail in spray form

simplycars 05-10-2011 04:15 PM

also plastic will require flex additive - expensive

4doors 06-01-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcramer (Post 1500375)
Need to paint the front clip of my car. The bumper is the harder part, since it has lots of chips. Was told high build primer is the way to go here, but can only get it in gallons which is way too much.

Also need base/clear. Again clear only comes in gallons.... wtf ?

Anyone know where you can buy less than a gallon of both clear and primer ?

Dave

Try paint circuit. They'll sell paint from gallons to touch-up bottle size. The problem I have is I can't get a small quantity of reducer these days. I used to be able to by a pint of chromabase reducer. Now, with water-based paints, I can't. Is there anyway I can get a pint of reducer for Dupont Cromax?

You'd think you could use water for water-based paint. Guess not, at least not for Dupont. Hear it's possible to use water for Standox but can't buy that in half-pint sizes.

dcramer 06-01-2011 06:55 AM

Well, I've been told not to bother trying to paint with water based in your garage. Too hard to dry. Yes, reducer it the problem. can find everything else but in quarts or pints

DIY 06-02-2011 12:21 AM

if you make it to Toronto, at Kipling and the Queensway theres a place called NCS (national coatings and supplies), they got everything you need for bodywork pretty much, and theres a place next door that also sells paint but I havent checked that one out yet... they will also mix a paint and put it into a spray can for you, although you cant beat a spray gun :D .... they also know their stuff so whatevery your paintin they'll fix you up with what you need to do it properly... and in an appropriate size.... although reducer prob wont come in a very small amount

4doors 06-02-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcramer (Post 1504812)
Well, I've been told not to bother trying to paint with water based in your garage. Too hard to dry. Yes, reducer it the problem. can find everything else but in quarts or pints

I heard the drying is the issue as well. But for a cosmetic touch up, a small airbrush and a hair dryer might do. Have yet to try it though. I've done cosmetic touch ups before with a modeler's airbrush and it works okay for scuffs or scratches less than palm size.

I wonder why it's so tough to get a small quantity of reducer? Not economical to make such a small size? But a gallon is $100! How many pints in a gallon?

4doors 06-02-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 1504996)
if you make it to Toronto, at Kipling and the Queensway theres a place called NCS (national coatings and supplies), they got everything you need for bodywork pretty much, and theres a place next door that also sells paint but I havent checked that one out yet... they will also mix a paint and put it into a spray can for you, although you cant beat a spray gun :D .... they also know their stuff so whatevery your paintin they'll fix you up with what you need to do it properly... and in an appropriate size.... although reducer prob wont come in a very small amount

Paint Circuit is nearby as well!

I've only tried smaller guns, modeler size. Nothing big. My problem with the can is it sprays too little paint. It seems a little thin. With clear in a can, how many times should I mist it? 3? 4 times?

dcramer 06-02-2011 09:58 PM

So the solution here is to team up and buy paint and split the gallon of reducer. Assumes we are buying the same brand of paint. But I'm in. Anyone else ?

Dave

4doors 06-02-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcramer (Post 1505298)
So the solution here is to team up and buy paint and split the gallon of reducer. Assumes we are buying the same brand of paint. But I'm in. Anyone else ?

Dave

Sounds like a good idea but I want a run a test in the next week. I've heard it's hard to shoot water-based from an airbrush. I have a small sample of the 'controller' (waterborune's equivalent of reducer) so I'll try it and see what happens.

DIY 06-02-2011 11:03 PM

I've gotten a quart size reducer at the NCS place... Also I have a few friends who just used paint thinner (like the stuff from home depot) and came out with decent results, but I'm sure it depends on the paint

dcramer 06-03-2011 07:04 AM

Well I have been told that all reducer is the same. It is quite likely true. I guess it just evaporates anyway ??? Anyone have a definitive answer ?

4doors 04-03-2012 10:49 PM

As far as I know the reducer for oil based and 'controller' for water base are very different indeed. The reason for moving to water based paints was to reduce VOCs. The VOCs are caused by the reducer/thinner/controller. They'd have to be different, no?

dcramer 04-04-2012 06:09 AM

no question these are different. The discussion was if you are using brand-x paint can you use brand-y reducer


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.