maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Autocrossing with Dick Turner (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142035)

BigD 04-12-2011 12:34 PM

Autocrossing with Dick Turner

Bonus:

bmwm5lover 04-12-2011 04:36 PM

I don't wanna be doing anything with a Dick.

BigD 04-12-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1494008)
I don't wanna be doing anything with a Dick.

Not until you're married or what?

sb_600 04-12-2011 05:14 PM

I haven't looked through all of them yet, but so far it looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the compilation!

bmwm5lover 04-12-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1494010)
Not until you're married or what?

My Dick is not this Dick.:P

Blades 04-12-2011 08:18 PM

I agree with everything except steering. That would be the old way they taught steering but now find that that old method can cause your hand to slip and let go of the steering wheel. You should be steering with your hand going over your other hand and then letting the steering wheel go as you go back to the 9 and 3 position.

nonlocal 04-13-2011 02:33 AM

Classic 'your mileage may vary' sort of situation. My understanding is that shuffle steering is the norm in autocross, where as on a track you keep your hands at 9+3 as much as possible since it is a rare occasion that you will have to reposition your hands (on a track) anyway.

I would just butt out and let an instructor or somebody more interested chime in BUT THIS IS THE INTERNET SO YOU ARE WRONG AND PROBABLY A NAZI

uh

nonlocal 04-13-2011 02:35 AM

Also, Colin McRae is the titties

Blades 04-13-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1494143)
Classic 'your mileage may vary' sort of situation. My understanding is that shuffle steering is the norm in autocross, where as on a track you keep your hands at 9+3 as much as possible since it is a rare occasion that you will have to reposition your hands (on a track) anyway.

I would just butt out and let an instructor or somebody more interested chime in BUT THIS IS THE INTERNET SO YOU ARE WRONG AND PROBABLY A NAZI

uh

The NORM as you call it would be to change your steering ratio for autocross so you wouldnt have to turn the wheel that much to make a tight turn. Just like Colin McRae has in that video.

BigD 04-13-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1494028)
My Dick is not this Dick.:P

haha

nonlocal 04-13-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades (Post 1494156)
The NORM as you call it would be to change your steering ratio for autocross so you wouldnt have to turn the wheel that much to make a tight turn. Just like Colin McRae has in that video.

...but anyway, I'm not sure what you mean? I've never seen a car with an adjustable steering ratio... In a rack and pinion you'd have different sized, selectable pinions or something?

Blades 04-13-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1494357)

...but anyway, I'm not sure what you mean? I've never seen a car with an adjustable steering ratio... In a rack and pinion you'd have different sized, selectable pinions or something?

why the hell would you be arguing if you dont have the slightest clue what your talking about? keep that up on this forum and people are going to look at you like they look at ericdalinda .. just a shit disturber

BigD 04-13-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1494143)

Yup, you're right about the hand position. I can't even do that on most tracks, since I get a pec cramp if I try to hold my hands at anywhere near 180 degree lock (ie crossed), so I pre-grip for many turns. On auto-x, forget it.

Here's my buddy who's a repeat Solo nationals champion. Winning run from 2009. Note the pre-gripping for >180 lock turns. Also good lesson for anyone who doubts you can drift a FWD :P

2009 SCCA Solo Nationals from Alex Muresan on Vimeo.

nonlocal 04-13-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades
why the hell would you be arguing if you dont have the slightest clue what your talking about? keep that up on this forum and people are going to look at you like they look at ericdalinda .. just a shit disturber

Sigh. My mortal fear of being considered a troll notwithstanding, a google search for 'autocross "adjustable steering ratio"' returns exactly 2 results, both talking about Audi's fancy ADS automagic transmission options on the 2011 S4.

Moving to something I do have the slightest clue about, I can assure you that adjustable steering ratios are certainly not the NORM at autocross events in the GTA-- though admittedly we don't get too many group 4 rally cars out. If folks are running such things in more serious Solo II events, I was unable to find any information about them in a brief search, and this after all being a forum for discussion, I figured just asking might be an appropriate next step.

Though I can see already you are the sort of fellow who sees admitting ignorance as a form of weakness, and assuming it wouldn't sully the normally stellar level of discourse here to move past monolithic statements of opinion, now would be a perfect time to illuminate me.

pawcio 04-13-2011 08:54 PM

^ who cares what people think about you...you're not from around here :D