maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I think i melted my amplifier I $H*% you not.... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14182)

Shamis 04-14-2003 09:08 PM

I think i melted my amplifier I $H*% you not....

It was a nice day so I was listening to music and cruising and I must have been running my music for too long and all of a sudden my music turned off..

I checked my shit and everything was ok except my amplifier (Alpine v-12) was ****ing boiling hot.....

So What did I do??

hoan 04-14-2003 09:18 PM

These things usually have some sort of thermal protection circuit which shut down the unit when it is too hot. Check the manual on how to reset it or maybe it is just a fuse or something.

ROB89M3 04-14-2003 09:22 PM

Alpine amps are pretty durable ! They can withstand a lot of heat. How is your amp mounted ? Is it dissipating heat ?

Also, back in the day, I was using Legacy amps. People dissed these amps, but they did the job well, and I used to pound the living crap outta them, and they never shut off on me!
The whole entire system was installed using quality wiring and stuff.

If your amp heats up too quickly, then use a thicker power wire and thicker speaker wire as well.

Shamis 04-14-2003 09:22 PM

I dun have the manual....

-=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] 04-14-2003 09:26 PM

Re: I think i melted my amplifier I $H*% you not....

Quote:

Originally posted by Shamis
It was a nice day so I was listening to music and cruising and I must have been running my music for too long and all of a sudden my music turned off..

I checked my shit and everything was ok except my amplifier (Alpine v-12) was ****ing boiling hot.....

So What did I do??

the reason for this is just because the amp became too hot...
i had the same amp (alpine v12) as you a while ago and this
also happened to me, when i listed to music for long periods of
time....

you just have to wait for it to cool down again, and then it
should start working...

Shamis 04-14-2003 09:31 PM

COOL THANKS

-=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] 04-14-2003 09:35 PM

but what rob is saying is right....there is a proper way to mount
your amp in order to maximize the cooling...

if you dont have the manual u can probably find it on their site,
you should probably do this though, or you will continue to have the same problem over and over again.

Shamis 04-14-2003 09:40 PM

Hmm my amp is behind my seat infront of the subs...

i dont really want to move it...

rayz 04-14-2003 11:43 PM

just as long as there is some space between your amp and the box for some air to get thru u should be fine. unless your amp is mounted upside down. which is bad. thats why they put fins on amps. for the heat to raise off of it. and the protection is MOSFET. most nowadays have it, or something similar with a different name. let it cool off , start it up again. I agree with the wiring gauges as well. maybe get a capacitor if you dont already have one.

Shamis 04-15-2003 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
whats a capacitator?? Ya myt system works again, phew....

theres not much space for air i want to get rid of my sub box and make a show setup

this is the setup right now.....

While were on the topic of my sound system when I watch DVD's and drive there is a noise comming from the speakers that goes ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and louder like a squell.......

BMW BMXer 04-15-2003 12:33 AM

The static is due to a bad ground

Maybe hook up a lil comp fan to blow air over ur amp

Shamis 04-15-2003 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BMW BMXer
The static is due to a bad ground

Maybe hook up a lil comp fan to blow air over ur amp

Ya someone told me about that how do I fix it

also i dun think a comp fan will cool down my amp, I NEED AN AIR INTAKE LOL

BMW BMXer 04-15-2003 01:43 AM

find out how your system is grounded, and if theres corosion around it or whatever.

Seat bolts are not suffiecent grounds

Shamis 04-15-2003 01:56 AM

..... not to god with this stuff

djcontra 04-15-2003 06:52 PM

sounds like it went into clip/protection mode.
happens all the time to me with my dj setup when my equalization is off or my channel volumes aren't set right.
If your amp has LED meters on it showing the channel throughput, from low, raise the volumes of each channel until they're barely bleeding into the red zone, and leave it like that. (mind you, first crank up the volume as loud as you USUALLY listen to it, and then just a little higher before you set the channel volumes)
You might also need to fiddle with the bass and treble as well, but I'm not going to get into that because everyone likes their eq set differently. I tend to not like any bass boost at all as it colours the sound too much.

If this ever happens again and it doesn't come back on, you might have just blown a fuse on the amp too.