maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ontarios Emission's Testing (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141466)

andrew.k 03-25-2011 09:47 AM

Ontarios Emission's Testing

Hey all,

Unfortunately the time has come to update my LPN sticker.
Big dirty money government grab scheme if you ask me, regardless its a legal liability I do abide by. I went to the get a sticker and they refused because I needed to submit a emissions test (last one was in 2009). A quick post on thoughts of whether or not I'll pass, which will mandate if I get it done legally or not. No way I'm touching my exhaust system. So my question is, will I pass?
The one modification i have is a borla muffler. No check engine light, new sparks plugs.
I know running the car hard before hand is a good idea to heat up the cats.
Are there any other suggestions on how to pass with flying colors?

Lower octane fuel?
Alcohol?
Oil change?

vintagez 03-25-2011 10:49 AM

Dont fret, these cars pass usually with no problems, Borla muffler will not affect results. In Whitby on Hopkins south of HW2 (near Gus Brown Buick) go south of the railway tracks, on the left is Van Hemman tire auto mall, there is a test facility at the north east corner, STE Automotive, 311 Hopkins, 905-430-8789, they have always done my cars and used to do the ones for BMW Durham when it was in Whitby. Just take your car for a spin to Bowmanville and back to warm up the cats in this cool weather. The test guy respects your vehicle too. Remember these tests are good for a year, so you can get them done in the summer when it is warm the year before.

andrew.k 03-25-2011 10:56 AM

Perfect, I'll be going there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!

Renboy 03-25-2011 11:10 AM

Muffler has nothing to do with emissions, you should pass. Both mine have passed with basically 0's across the board.

jabela 03-30-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renboy (Post 1489512)
Muffler has nothing to do with emissions, you should pass. Both mine have passed with basically 0's across the board.

Same here. I've never had a car or known anyone who's come close to passing this test. Basically a pointless cash grab. Now, it would be more useful if they did some basic safety checks on the cars, like checking for non-bald tires, severe rust, brake condition, etc.
I see too many cars will all of these conditions.

sol_searchin 03-31-2011 02:37 PM

Emissions are valid for 2 years toward a sticker renewal and 1 year transferable( ex. Only valid 1 year from the date of emissions test if your selling).

vintagez 03-31-2011 03:57 PM

emissions are only valid for one year towards sticker renewal, it is only that a test is not required in the year between

BMW Rated 04-01-2011 01:54 AM

I agree with the statement noted right above ^ this. What happens is they do odds numbers one year and then even's the following year.

slemmer 04-01-2011 04:12 AM

+1 to that.