maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Shipping to Ogdensburg? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140706)

MaxBell 02-25-2011 08:01 PM

Shipping to Ogdensburg?

I heard through the grape vine that it is possible to ship to Ogdensburg NY and avoid some of the ass rapage that is customs. I'm working in a shop in Cardinal ON next week and figured I'd be 20 minutes from downtown Ogdensburg.

Is this stictly illegal/possible/a good idea? *angel* Am I shipping to a USPS Store in the US?

ipop07 02-25-2011 08:07 PM

Legal? Debatable, fair? maybe.

There are warehouses that allow you to ship to them and pick up. Or you need to talk to someone there and ship stuff to their house :)

Chris916 02-25-2011 08:45 PM

Of course its legal!

Have it shipped to the UPS store in Ogensburg. you will pay 5$ for a holding fee.

Then just make sure you declare on you way back and you shouldnt have any problems.

sb_600 02-26-2011 04:30 PM

^What Chris said.

There is nothing illegal about it, as long as you declare all your purchases at the border. You'll have to pay HST and depending on where the parts were manufactured, duty. What you will save on is brokerage fees and shipping charges.

The past few summers i've gone down almost every second week to pick up parts, and I've never had any problems (since i always declare).

Make sure that on your packages you include your name. I usually write UPS Store c/o Shawn Bernier

gravles 03-01-2011 03:11 PM

I do it all the time, Ship it to the UPS store in Ogsdenburg, they will hold it for up to 2 weeks i think, you can even check online if your package has been received... www.trackogdensburg.com. $5 per package. It is espescially good if you need tires from tirerack.com

Remember to declare everything to CBSA and bring your own receipts as most of the time there is none included in the box. Sometimes if it is small you wont have to pay duties and/or tax if the BSO is in a good mood...

I have done the round trip from west ottawa in 90 mins and saved hundreds of $$$...

MBrown 03-01-2011 09:49 PM

I always ship things here: http://www.corp-center.com/

Super easy, and right across the border!

MaxBell 03-01-2011 10:36 PM

Soooo, a good idea to declare everything? Even all the itty-bitty bits of gaskets and shit?

ScotcH 03-01-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxBell (Post 1484239)
Soooo, a good idea to declare everything? Even all the itty-bitty bits of gaskets and shit?

Yes. If they find anything you didn't declare, you automatically get blacklisted for customs, and it will be a pain for years to come (as in they will hassle you). Just play it safe, and declare. You will usually avoid paying duty (they rarely make you pay that), so just HST on the stuff.

What gaskets do you need? I can get most OE stuff next day if it's available from my suppliers.

everlast 03-01-2011 11:35 PM

My in-laws live in Cornwall, and I've shipped thousands of dollars of stuff to The Ship-It Shop in Massena. Less than $40 you don't pay anything, over that you pay tax. Never, ever had a problem.

What you're avoiding is incorrect duty fees which are rare, and huge private brokerage fees which are almost criminal.

Note that shipping from the US via USPS incurs NO brokerage fee; the brokerage is taken care of my Canada Post via your taxes. I ship EVERYTHING USPS now. It's sometimes cheaper than gas to pick something up, but often shipping to the states is free but Canada is terrible.

MBrown 03-02-2011 02:36 AM

Yep exactly, anything we buy online now we ship to Ogdensburg. Shipping within the continental US is almost always free or next to nothing compared to shipping direct from US supplier to Canada.

For some people it might be a pain in the butt to drive down and pick things up but we have business in Kemptville and are there probably a couple times a week anyway.

One quick piece of advice, DO NOT have someone pick up a package for you. If they look at the packaging and it has someone elses name on it its a huge hassle. A friend of mine had headers shipped to the border and another went to pick them up for him not knowing the actual value and severely under valued them. The CBSA found out and seized the headers for misvaluation.

MaxBell 03-02-2011 12:30 PM

Ok, so declare everything. It's still good to ship and go pick it up in the US of A because you save so much money on shipping. (my huge order was free to Ogdensburg, and I'm driving down there anyways)

Jonesin 03-07-2011 09:06 PM

I ship stuff to the UPS store there all the time. Like mentioned above $5 per parcel per week for them to provide the service, the address is 2981 Ford St. Ext. Ogdensburg NY 13669.
The sad thing is I didn't have to look that up...

Ed.