maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   E39 seats replaced caused airbag light on and heater not working .... HELP!!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140620)

muxruk 02-22-2011 09:40 AM

E39 seats replaced caused airbag light on and heater not working .... HELP!!!

Ok, so I replaced yesterday seats on my e39 with basically the same one I had but in mint shape, so I have one small yellow conector under passenger side which doesn't connect to a new seat as there is no plug for it, I was wondering what is it for if someone know?
But the main issue is that my heated seats not working , u press the heated seat button it lights on and after automatically shuts off in few seconds, on both sides ...????
Also my airbag light stays on all the time now...
So swap ended up bringing not much happy feeling as was excpected ...
Fellows please help , any ideas ? I assume that's some eletronical issue... Ecu doesn't recognize new seats .... Is there some important sensor in seat maybe I need to take of my old seats and install on new ones....
I dunno.... (((((((((((

BimmerGuys 02-22-2011 12:21 PM

You need a scanner to reset airbag light, and you have a bad connection somewhere that's the reason why heated seats doesn't work,

Eurostyle 02-22-2011 01:22 PM

Most likely you got the wrong seats for the car, as not all E39's are the same; they look identical but wiring is not! You also did the job without disconnecting the battery, this is why the airbag light is on (happens every time you unplug a safety device such as bag or seatbelt buckle).

muxruk 02-22-2011 01:43 PM

Yeah actually I didn't disconect the battery ....
I did disconect it overnight hoping the system gonna reset and everythig gonna work but it didn't...
So ok, I will reset the lights... What do I do with the seats heater... Is it possible to use maybe some wiring from my old seat ... Any ideas what exactly needs to be replaced
Cuz the conectors looked exactly the same and the power options work correct, I got the seats from 97 528i mine is 98 528i...
still wondering about that second small yellow conector under passenger seat

Thank you guys ! U r being very helpful !

Quack 02-22-2011 01:50 PM

yellow connectors normally mean SRS, it can be anything from airbags to seatbelts/buckles.

muxruk 02-22-2011 09:38 PM

ppl common,
someone knows how to fix this heated seats ?

Eurostyle 02-22-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muxruk (Post 1482826)
ppl common,

Yes, but it's a pain, and will cost 5x more then buying working seats!

MLue1 02-23-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muxruk (Post 1482826)
ppl common,

I doubt many have ventured into this area. If it was me I would pull both seats and trace and compare the wiring and pins on the connectors. Even if someone were to tell you what to do you would still have to do alot of this work anyway to splice the connections or to change the pin configuration on the connector(s).

daveyto 02-27-2011 11:49 AM

i haven't read the whole thread but i will reset the SRS light for you for for free.

Just send me a PM or call me fouronesixeightthreefourninefivenineeight

dave

spencercat 03-02-2011 12:41 PM

You'll need to reset the SRS code with a scanner. I got the CARSOFT software on the 'net and bought the connector on ebay to attach my laptop. I think the cables cost about $50, but I spent a few hours getting it to all work right. No time to get into it, but if you search bimmerforums you should find what you need.

You may also need to fool the car into thinking the passenger seat sensor is OK. My SRS light was triggered by a failed passenger seat sensor and I was able to reset it after wiring in a diode/rectifier/capacitor combo to the wiring harness. Search around for that solution if you find the seat sensor is kicking out the code and you can't get it to reset. HTH