maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TMP F2000 Performance Driver Training - vday special (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140471)

jabela 02-15-2011 10:44 AM

TMP F2000 Performance Driver Training - vday special

TMP F2000 Performance Driver Training

Has anyone been to or heard about this program at Toronto Motorsports Park? Is it a good program?
https://www.torontomotorsportspark.c...rmula2000.html
They have a $100 off valentine special that I'm considering jumping on.
https://www.torontomotorsportspark.c...a2000_reg.html

F-2000 Performance Driver Training Program:
* The F2000 program gives you a chance to drive a single seated, open-wheeled racing car on a safe and exciting road course.
* Full day programs consist of in-class instruction by professionals and coached track time.
* You will learn the principles of choosing the fastest line through a corner, braking and downshifting techniques, how to correct a potential spin out, and high speed control.
* Just bring enthusiasm and a pair of thin-soled shoes!

MarkD 02-15-2011 10:57 AM

Sure, I took that in 2001. I don't know if the current course is similar to what I did back then, but it was only 2 or 3 sessions in the car of around 20 minutes each.

GreyHair 02-15-2011 01:30 PM

A course like this is more about getting the bragging rights to say "I drove an F2000 car!" than about actually learning much about high performance driving --- you will spend most of your minimal track time just getting used to the beast. You get a lot more bang for the same number of bucks with the Trillium club 2 day Advanced Driver Training on the Mosport GP track, IMO.

craz azn 02-15-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhair (Post 1481473)
a course like this is more about getting the bragging rights to say "i drove an f2000 car!" than about actually learning much about high performance driving --- you will spend most of your minimal track time just getting used to the beast. You get a lot more bang for the same number of bucks with the trillium club 2 day advanced driver training on the mosport gp track, imo.

+1.

MarkD 02-15-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHair (Post 1481473)
A course like this is more about getting the bragging rights to say "I drove an F2000 car!" than about actually learning much about high performance driving --- you will spend most of your minimal track time just getting used to the beast. You get a lot more bang for the same number of bucks with the Trillium club 2 day Advanced Driver Training on the Mosport GP track, IMO.

It's a completely different experience so you can't compare them easily. And the F2000 course is $495, with the two day Trillium course you are spending closer to $1000, once you factor in gasoline, brake pads, tires, tech inspection, brake flush, oil change, wear and tear on the car etc, plus add in another $150 or so if you plan to stay at a hotel or B&B near the track.

MiroE36 02-15-2011 01:49 PM

MarkD just lawyered everyone...

rider-. 02-15-2011 02:07 PM

^^haha

GreyHair 02-15-2011 02:17 PM

yup, a bit of lawyering there... :-) ... anyway, my point was just don't go into the F2000 thing with too high expectations. View it more as something cool and different to do as opposed to being a huge advanced/performance driving experience. And of course, if you just want to experience driving an open wheel race car..... go for it!

MarkD 02-15-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHair (Post 1481483)
yup, a bit of lawyering there... :-) ... anyway, my point was just don't go into the F2000 thing with too high expectations. View it more as something cool and different to do as opposed to being a huge advanced/performance driving experience. And of course, if you just want to experience driving an open wheel race car..... go for it!

Not sure exactly what the lawyering part was... The F2000 course is just something to do for fun, It's more like something your office would send you on with other workers as a bonus for doing some job well... it's not a serious course. More like a day away from work driving around. And the cars are not all that fast, I bet most need some work, unless they fixed them all up since I was there.

Chris_Bangle 02-15-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 1481478)
It's a completely different experience so you can't compare them easily. And the F2000 course is $495, with the two day Trillium course you are spending closer to $1000, once you factor in gasoline, brake pads, tires, tech inspection, brake flush, oil change, wear and tear on the car etc, plus add in another $150 or so if you plan to stay at a hotel or B&B near the track.

Let's not 'lawyer' anyone:

The costs mentioned here are skewed, they are spread over a series of events and not just one event. Also, you can use the same Hotel / B&B example with Cayuga. Most people drive back and worth to Mosport + you can always leave your car and carpool with someone.

Let's use a personal example. I drive an rx8. I can use the same set of pads (xp10/xp8) for around 8 days at Mosport - this is not a heavy braking track.

Tires - Mosport is very light on them. I get used r comps that come from the Koni / Conti challagne - can easily get 10 Mosport days on them. Or buy something like Star Specs - will last forever at Mosport.

Brake fluid , I use Motul 5.1, flush it every 5 days or so but could easily keep it on for the whole season (usually do about 15 days).

Gas, my car eats allot but I would imagine is that an avg Trillium participants consumption would be around 50 liters per days. So 120-150$ can cover both days.

Oil change - do it yourself or pay a shop 40$ and they will throw in the free tech inspection.

---------------
The Trillium events are good but I do want to try the F2000 school.

Anyone done it recently, when you look at the site I think they say around 3hrs of total track time.

craz azn 02-15-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Bangle (Post 1481486)
---------------
The Trillium events are good but I do want to try the F2000 school.

Anyone done it recently, when you look at the site I think they say around 3hrs of total track time.

Lev, if you are interested in a Formula school, definitely go for the Bridgestone schools at the DDT. Way better car prep would seal the deal for me if I were looking... not to mention a much more advanced curriculum they teach there.

Chris_Bangle 02-15-2011 02:59 PM

K, I am going to stop by your house to pick up the 3k :)

Not looking for any instruction just want seat time in a formula car. Unfortunately, I suspect that for 500$ the cars that they use in the F2000 probably leave much to be desired.

P.S

My car should be getting springs & shocks so we will see if I can make it play on the skid pad or if it is all lack of driving talent.

craz azn 02-15-2011 03:07 PM

Haha right on :P

But for just a few 20 min sessions... man that's just a tease lol. Maybe look into a team/shop or something that rents out formula cars for lapping days or something?

I just looked at the site, prices aren't too bad, considering the car you get to use. http://www.race2000.com/courses

Chris_Bangle 02-15-2011 03:17 PM

Need a race license which is 700$ at the Casc school. Friday test days with formula vee at Mosport are 500$ for about 2.5 hours. If I had more cash and time I would do that but alas...

BTW, here is the schedule, the sessions are not 20 minutes:

Schedule:
10am: Arrive at Track
10:30am - 11:15am:
In-class Instruction
11:30am - 12:30pm:
1st Session on the track
12:30pm - 1:30pm:
Break for lunch
1:30pm - 4:30pm:
Sessions 2 and 3 on the track
4:30pm: Presentation of Photo and Certificates

dble Trouble 02-15-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 1481478)

I appreciate your input Mark but The Trillium school does not cost nor should cost that much if you're careful.

Cost of the TWO day school is $499 tax incl.

Two tanks of gas including getting there and home from Toronto, $140.00

Tech inspection is Free for the 1st 10 registrants at Bavarian. (which last year No one took advantage of, i know Steve told me personally even thought it was advertised on the Trillium Website.

Mosport is less than an hour away from Toronto so I don't see why you wouldn't drive home and back, but if you do want to stay locally the Admiral Inn in Lindsay which is only 15 mins north of the track is $69.00/night and is a nice clean place.

As long as you're not an animal, wear and tear on the car is negligible.

Total $640 for TWO DAYs Unlike the F2000 which is a total of 50 minutes car time in one day for $499.00!

Great experience but I have over a half dozen friends that have taken it over the years and all say the samething, it was a fun experience but they didn't feel the value was there.