maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Eff. Ing. Hell. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139714)

Philboski 01-10-2011 10:59 AM

Eff. Ing. Hell.

Here we go again.

I was driving to work today, and was just about to turn on to another street. I declutched, and as the pedal reached about 3/4 of the way to the floor, I felt a "pop" through the pedal. next thing I know, I can't shift gears and I am on the horn to CAA. Again.

Autobahn's going to look at it, but I have the feeling that I might be getting a new clutch, need it or not. I am hoping it's just a broken line, but that would be too easy. :mad:

Bimmer p.i. 01-10-2011 03:08 PM

maybe should have had it towed to Autovation - they'd fix you up honestly and fast. Good guys over there.

Philboski 01-10-2011 03:41 PM

Todd has always done well for me, even if he can be a bit slow at times. I have also hadd good dealings with Autovation.

I am saying I'd be getting a new clutch need it or not because if the slave is gone (I assume it's inside the bell housing), we could be dropping tranny. I have 211K on the car, so it would make sense to do it. And, if I sold it, it would have a new clutch.

HavocSteve 01-10-2011 05:04 PM

You and your car man. I wish you the best of luck and it isn't a big fix. I only melted a alternator wire and the alternator and bought a new car.

carjoe 01-10-2011 05:36 PM

I'm right there with ya. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost a week. Needs a coil. Won't idle, can't be driven. Parts are in the mail.

I'm shopping for a new car come summer. I was prepared for maintenance but not the unreliability.

Philboski 01-10-2011 07:31 PM

There are other factors leaning me towards buying something else (trunk space, for example), but then I drive it. Damn BMWs.

zarbat007 01-10-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1474544)
I'm right there with ya. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost a week. Needs a coil. Won't idle, can't be driven. Parts are in the mail.

I'm shopping for a new car come summer. I was prepared for maintenance but not the unreliability.

Seriously?

carjoe 01-10-2011 11:35 PM

Very.

Philboski 01-11-2011 08:55 AM

I am thinking spring for my car shopping. Or possibly this weekend. I am just sick of having a car that I don't trust.

Philboski 01-11-2011 11:16 AM

Just got word from Autobahn -- Todd says that it isn't hydraulic (this is borne out by the resistance in the clutch pedal, which is the same as normal), so it has to be mechanical. Therefore, out comes the transmission, and a new clutch is going in at minimum.

So much for my hopes of a bad clutch line. Poop, damn, hell.

tehskeo 01-11-2011 11:57 AM

211k on your car. I'm assuming it had original clutch? I'd say it's about time for a new one anyway. Look on the bright side: You won't have an inevitable clutch job hanging over your head. I still have my original clutch (mind you, only 140k on it), but I know that in time I will eventually have to replace it due to wear and tear.

zarbat007 01-11-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1474606)
Very.

All will be forgiven when she is fixed! I have a Peake scanner if you need a BMW specific code reader.

Philboski 01-12-2011 12:47 PM

I assume it was the otiginal clutch. The car's fixed, and Todd said that basically the clutch had died of old age. I'll find out the painful portion of the excercise tonight. Oh well, it's only money, right?

tg07lq 01-12-2011 01:05 PM

could be worse, after getting his truck stolen and dicking around for a rental car, my buddy finally got his payout and returned his rental, much to his dismay the car he had already bought and paid for suddenly had no keys. it took 3 days before he actually got the car and a few hours after that the clutch went... and no he wasnt doing burnouts or anything stupid, and yes hes driven stick for years.

hopefully the damage isnt too bad but like was said, nothing to worry about and now you can sell it with a new clutch which isnt all that bad

carjoe 01-12-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarbat007 (Post 1474718)
All will be forgiven when she is fixed! I have a Peake scanner if you need a BMW specific code reader.

Thanks for the offer. I've got a generic OBD II reader on loan from a friend. We'll see when I get the parts....I do love it, i just can't keep waiting to drive it.

Phil, painful. I can't wait to hear how much my 6spd swap is going to be when my tranny goes out. :)