maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   05 x3. 2.5 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139044)

BiggyAlex905 12-07-2010 09:02 PM

05 x3. 2.5

Hope some one can help.
No heat on idle in the morning till I start to drive it, then it's fine.

bmwm5lover 12-08-2010 10:00 AM

Low coolant? Had that happen on my Range Rover.

MiroE36 12-08-2010 10:35 AM

could also be thermostat

King Luis 12-08-2010 01:31 PM

i'm guessing thermostat....but it's probably easier to check your coolant level first.

NOTORIOUS VR 12-08-2010 01:45 PM

low coolant/air in the system

otherwise I would say water pump is on it's way out.

the thermostat has nothing to do with the heat exchanger in the car

notme 12-08-2010 06:48 PM

Thermostat

Dr. Flyview 12-09-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1469108)
low coolant/air in the system

otherwise I would say water pump is on it's way out.

the thermostat has nothing to do with the heat exchanger in the car

How can you say that? If the thermostat is stuck open (coolant constantly flowing through the rad), then the car takes a lot longer to warm up, and possibly not warm up to where it's supposed to at all. I had that happen on my benz.

I thought this thread was a joke. No heat in the mornings aka when he first starts the car, and at idle. Well duh you have to drive the car for 10-15 minutes before you get heat.

abc12 12-09-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview (Post 1469358)
How can you say that? If the thermostat is stuck open (coolant constantly flowing through the rad), then the car takes a lot longer to warm up, and possibly not warm up to where it's supposed to at all. I had that happen on my benz.

I thought this thread was a joke. No heat in the mornings aka when he first starts the car, and at idle. Well duh you have to drive the car for 10-15 minutes before you get heat.

i was thinking the exact same thing as well, but didn't bother post regarding that. since his question is no heat in the morning, and he doesn't mention whether or not if it's a cold start. he also mentions it's fine once driven as he goes. to me sounds like his car is perfectly fine, but he's gotta be a bit more specific...

NOTORIOUS VR 12-09-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview (Post 1469358)

Because using a little judgement/logic I came to the conclusion that no one expects heat when the car is stone cold, plus he says he gets heat when he starts MOVING.

all you people saying is the thermostat aren't making any sense. Let me repeat. The OP says he GETS heat when he starts moving, but none when he is idle.

How the heck can that be the thermostat? Besides, the thermostat will never block the heater core, it only blocks flow to the rad.

It's either low on fluid/air in the system, or the water pump.