maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   HELP! make 328i Road legal!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138849)

fishtar 11-29-2010 10:43 AM

HELP! make 328i Road legal!!

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a E36 318i with a bunch of mods. The ownership says 318i, 4 door, but the engine is from a 328i, and there are many M3 parts in it. It is basically a 318i shell, with a 328i motor, and M3 everything else.

Killer part here: It's not road legal:(:(:(:(:(

It has no interior... No backseat, no door covers, no anything. It has 2 racing seats in the front, a steering wheel (no airbag), and a shifter. The racing seats have no seatbelts (thinking of either racing harness, which must be road legal, or normal seatbelts).
I was hoping you guys could tell me what I need to make this barely road legal.
It also has no catalytic converters and I know I need to put some on for the e-test.

craz azn 11-29-2010 11:59 AM

LOL did you buy a black e36 with a wing?

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:04 PM

yep. no backseat... it's black too...

parm 11-29-2010 12:13 PM

Did you buy it on the basis it was road legal? also is it the same e36 that was or is for sale on kijiji , it stated not road legal is it the same one?

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:15 PM

Yes. I bought it as a track car. I do want to make it road legal though. Has everything I need. Engine, transmission, exhaust and a shell.

craz azn 11-29-2010 12:17 PM

Wow. You have your work cut out for you then.

So it will need a lot of things. You are going to need proper seats, because E36s have the seatbelt bucket attached to the seat frame. Almost any aftermarket seat does not have provisions for them, so you are SOL. Obviously you will need to buy the seat belt itself as well. Next thing you will need to do is buy an entire heater box assembly as you will need some sort of fan/defroster to pass a safety AFAIK. I am assuming all the lights and stuff work? Then the usuals, proper tires that have tread, brakes, etc etc.

Oh, and just an FYI, there is nothing M3 on that car except the steering wheel.

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:25 PM

the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:26 PM

ps.
If i needed a car with stereo, door panels, etc, i have my 7 series in the garage... this is purely a project car

simplycars 11-29-2010 12:32 PM

it will be cheaper to buy another e36 and swap all the parts you will need.

craz azn 11-29-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtar (Post 1467409)
the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.

Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet. :D

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1467417)
Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet. :D

Haha, I'm not too far from him either... Don't know much about cars. All I felt though, was that the car can go vroom. I plan on hooking up the temp thing real soon. Besides, I can't use it anyways. I'll probably get that hooked up at the same time I do everything else. Parkview BMW would be able to do this right?

So the heater box assembly. Important? If so, how much for one? Also, what does it do? Does it heat up the engine?

EDIT: also as for the bolting of the seatbelt thingy, would that pass the safety test?

T.Dot_E30 11-29-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtar (Post 1467409)
And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do?

The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.

fishtar 11-29-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1467420)
The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.

Awwwwwww. Yeah i think i need one of those. How much is the average price of one?

T.Dot_E30 11-29-2010 12:53 PM

Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/ads/eurostyle.jpg

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/imag...ine=1256493472

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.

fishtar 11-29-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1467423)
Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/ads/eurostyle.jpg

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/imag...ine=1256493472

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.

Thanks! Sent two emails