maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   LF 32mm deep socket (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138427)

carjoe 11-10-2010 07:35 PM

LF 32mm deep socket

Need a 32mm deep socket!

I need to do the upper timing covers. I've been putting it off but it's gotten to the point where my laneway is begging me to get it done. I attempted it a couple of weeks ago when I did the VCG but couldn't get the cover off due to the VANOS solenoid or I could have removed the upper rad hose that runs to the thermostat. Either way, I was ill prepared at 11pm on a Saturday night.

So yeah, just to cover all my bases, before I crack open the cooling system and take everything apart, again. Anyone with one of these? I read somewhere that a shower valve socket in a 1 1/32nd size should fit but with my luck, it won't work...

ScotcH 11-10-2010 11:48 PM

32mm is 1 1/4" (about). Crappy tire has these, as would a NAPA or other parts stores. Ottawa Fastener for sure, but it might have to be ordered in deep.

carjoe 11-14-2010 03:30 PM

CT doesn't have 32mm deep socekts, the SAE equivalent isnt deep enough and as it turns out, you can't just take channel locks on the solenoid and turn it in the hopes that it will unscrew itself from the head. Ask me how I know....

The shower valve socket set I have doesn't fit in the damn opening for the VANOS solenoid and I'm stuck. !@#%$!!

Car's a aprt for a second time and even though I tried to cover all my bases, I still can't get the damn solenoid out. I've got the cover unseated and moving though.

ARGH!

ScotcH 11-14-2010 06:39 PM

Did you go to a proper tool shop? They'll have it for sure. Can you fit a wrech? I always use a 32mm wrench on the vanos solenoid, but that's on a 6.

carjoe 11-14-2010 08:27 PM

Define "proper tool shop"? Ottawa Fastener? Nope. Is that the one in Bells Corners?

There is a place around here with the name fastener, can't remember it off the top of my head but it's on Lancaster...I'll have to try PA and NAPA tomorrow. Otherwise it's express shipping from some online store.

The shoulder in the sockets, that I have, make the depth too shallow. I'm also thinking I'll need to find a thin wall socket since the opening doesn't have much gap around the solenoid.

Didnt' want pony up for the "special tool" but I'm thinking I might have to now.

marks525 11-14-2010 09:44 PM

Princess auto?

Tekals 11-15-2010 03:36 PM

I had trouble finding one too when i changed my seal at the transmission output... It also had to be thin walled, which was even harder to find.

I ended up buying one at canadian tire and I trimmed it down on a bench grinder.

Canadian Tire doesn't have this size in their usual Mastercraft section, but their's always a small Powerbuilt section and they do have 32 and 34mm 1/2'' drive. You'd have to check if their deep enough...

So double check with canadian tire : search 32mm axle Nut Socket

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST%2Fbro...bmLocale=fr_CA

carjoe 11-15-2010 10:35 PM

bought it, wasn't deep enough either.

On the bright side, I finally had success tonight. As it turns out, the secondary air pump pipe was keeping me from pulling away the cover from the head. Got it disconnected, pulled the cover away and used a pair of pliers to turn the solenoid.

The old gasket came off in pieces. It was hard and brittle. Felt more like hard plastic, similar to the fan shroud!

I've got about 90 minutes left of work to get the car up and running and I'm pooped. My back is killing me. I have no idea how mechanics do this all day...

Philboski 11-16-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1464740)
I've got about 90 minutes left of work to get the car up and running and I'm pooped. My back is killing me. I have no idea how mechanics do this all day...

They have access to a lift, with lots of tools, specifically air tools. Air tools alone make a big difference. I have an air ratchet at my cottage, and it makes bolts very easy to tighten once they're started.

I have an electric impact gun here in town, and have often wondered why I haven't seen an electric ratchet. Perhaps that's my million-dollar idea....

I'd love to have a lift -- I'm too big to easily get under a car without getting it a long way off the ground, and my cheap CT jack only gets a car 15 inches in the air at its maximum height.

Tekals 11-16-2010 12:34 PM

You guys should check out this...

http://www.directlift.ca/2-post-lifts.htm

carjoe 11-16-2010 04:44 PM

Stuck! Damn secondary air pipe won't go back in. I bent it a bit to get the cover off. Now it won't "rebend" back into shape. Of course I think I killed the VANOS solenoid so I'll still need to find "the" tool to replace it with a new one.

After that it's bleed the cooling system and we're back in business.

A lift would be awfully nice...I need a bigger garage first though.

Philboski 11-17-2010 08:19 AM

I need a garage, period. I have been kicking myself for buying a house without one over the last couple of years.

Ceeker 11-17-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philboski (Post 1465063)
I need a garage, period. I have been kicking myself for buying a house without one over the last couple of years.

MAN!!! a house without a garage is a like a car with square wheels. lol.

carjoe 11-18-2010 09:34 PM

Turns out the VANOS is good as is the rest of the car! Woot!
Bleeding the system was a non issue but that exhaust leak from the secondary pipe is gonna be an issue. Sounds like an old Chevy pick up. I'm feeling like the car needs a gun rack or something now.

zarbat007 11-18-2010 09:53 PM

Nice!