maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Going shop rate for indi shop (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138256)

georgost 11-04-2010 09:54 AM

Going shop rate for indi shop

Just curious what the going shop rate is for an independent shop. Also what woudl it be for a BMW delearship.

Just paid $150/hr at a local indie shop. Don't want to name names as I am happy with the service provided, but was just shocked at the price when I got the bill. Was in a jam though as it was my alternator and therefore couldn't really drive it up to Bimmersport or RMP (no CAA at the time - got it now though).

Thoughts?

maranellobmw 11-04-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgost (Post 1462225)
just curious what the going shop rate is for an independent shop. Also what woudl it be for a bmw delearship.

Just paid $150/hr at a local indie shop. Don't want to name names as i am happy with the service provided, but was just shocked at the price when i got the bill. Was in a jam though as it was my alternator and therefore couldn't really drive it up to bimmersport or rmp (no caa at the time - got it now though).

Thoughts?

being with maxbimmer, i get all members 15% off all servicehere at maranello bmw. So that would be about $112.17/h.

Just come ask for me 1st at parts (mike) and ill hook u up with a good service advisor.

georgost 11-04-2010 10:56 AM

Wow.....wonder if he charged me more b/c I brought my own part.
Never going back there again

georgost 11-04-2010 11:03 AM

Actually just clarified with the shop, tehy charge $108/hr or $150/hr if you bring your own parts.....WOW.

blk3 11-04-2010 11:08 AM

usually i see anywhere from 70-100 an hour for an independant shop. usually a shop will add a little more if you bring your own parts. like charge an hour and a half for an hour job. 150 is really basically falling under that same concept. still a bit of money though

georgost 11-04-2010 11:14 AM

Ok then. My ignorance, as I already knew they had a higher hourly rate (atleast $100/hr), just wasn't aware that when you bring your own parts, that rate likley jumps.

CoEEzi 11-04-2010 11:27 AM

wtf why does the rate jump if you have your own parts. you're just paying for labour.

simplycars 11-04-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoEEzi (Post 1462248)
wtf why does the rate jump if you have your own parts. you're just paying for labour.

main reason is that people often bring wrong or damaged parts - shops order new / rebuild and they deal with the supplier if wrong part is received.
if customer has to deal with the their "supplier" then it only takes longer.

cisco911 11-04-2010 11:51 AM

If a shop only charged labour and you brought your own parts, they would not be able to survive. The money they make off parts can be a significant part of a shop's income. That is why many shops choose to charge extra labour if you bring your own parts. The funny thing is that alot of times, you can get as competitive of a price from the mechanic or better than if you go out and buy it yourself.

MLue1 11-04-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisco911 (Post 1462255)
If a shop only charged labour and you brought your own parts, they would not be able to survive. The money they make off parts can be a significant part of a shop's income. That is why many shops choose to charge extra labour if you bring your own parts. The funny thing is that alot of times, you can get as competitive of a price from the mechanic or better than if you go out and buy it yourself.

Don't kid yourself, indies will still survive.

The more I think about it if I had to pay $150/hr it wouldn't be too long before = http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ :)

georgost 11-04-2010 01:17 PM

This was a fairly pricey part.....Water cooled alternator for an '03 540.
BMW wanted $1,600,
Indie old me $1,100,
After I told him I could get the part for half that, he dropped his price to around $950.
I bought it from autopartsway.ca for $596 + $160 core + tax. So basically $700 after they credit back the core.

cisco911 11-04-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLue1 (Post 1462273)
Don't kid yourself, indies will still survive.

The more I think about it if I had to pay $150/hr it wouldn't be too long before = http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ :)

So your going to go buy a lift...good for you. So your basically putting up capital so you can save money. A mechanic is putting up capital to make money. Thats how it works. Now do I think $150 is high, yes I do. However, anyone that is in business is there to make money, not save you money. If it works out that both can happen, then great.

Here's an example:
You come in with your car to do some work. Labour rate says it takes 10 hours to do the prescibed work. I know I can do it in like half that because I've done it a million times. I charge you 6 hours plus parts. You come in and say you are going to bring your own parts because you can get them cheaper. That is fine by me, but since I;m not selling you parts, why should I give you a break on labour? Now I'm gonna charge you 10 hours. I hope you saved more than that on your parts.

maranellobmw 11-04-2010 03:58 PM

just a lil FYI

Its the same shop rate here if you purchase your parts from here, or you bring your own parts. :)

Mardin 12-16-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maranellobmw (Post 1462317)
just a lil FYI

Its the same shop rate here if you purchase your parts from here, or you bring your own parts. :)

*rockout*
hahaha...

328IScreamer 12-16-2010 03:41 PM

It's nice to come from a small town
Going rate for the euro shop here is $59 an hour......they have never disappointed me yet