maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How to find out whether or not do I have a Dinan software installed? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136664)

BimmerDriver 09-08-2010 07:53 AM

How to find out whether or not do I have a Dinan software installed?

Guys, this may or may not be a stupid question so please do not mock. I bought my car from a dealer who claimed my car had a Dinan chip and Cold air intake installed by the previous owner. I could obviously spot the Dinan CAI there but never bothered to check whether the chip part of the story was true cause to be honest that wasn't one of the reasons why I decided to purchase the car.

Questions are:

1. When you install a CAI, do you consequently have to install a chip to reprogram the ECU in order to take advantage of the CAI or the stock software adjusts the mixture and other parameters by itself once it detects a larger air flow?

2. What's the easiest way to check whether do I have Dinan software installed?

3. If I do have the software in: do they normally release newer versions of the software? in other words, should I worry about getting the latest one? (this one may sound really stupid but bear with me, I'm an IT guy so software updates can only sound normal to me haha)

Mystikal 09-08-2010 12:44 PM

1. The ECU will adjust itself.

2. Redline would be 7000 instead of 6800 (1st and 2nd gears).

3. No need to update, although a more aggressive software flash such as MarkD would produce significantly more power (Dinan is very conservative).

richie_s999 09-08-2010 07:45 PM

+1 on the Mark D software!!!!

both my E30 build and now my E36 build has been greatly helped by his magic!!!

grapebimmer 09-08-2010 07:49 PM

The Cult of MarkD!

BimmerDriver 09-10-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal (Post 1449384)
1. The ECU will adjust itself.

2. Redline would be 7000 instead of 6800 (1st and 2nd gears).

3. No need to update, although a more aggressive software flash such as MarkD would produce significantly more power (Dinan is very conservative).

Thanks Jay! Now, when you say redline, you mean if I rev it, it'll bounce off the limiter at 7000 ?

Since you mentioned MarkD's software, if I use a more aggressive software such as his on a daily basis, will it cause excessive wear and tear on the engine on the long term?

grapebimmer 09-10-2010 08:41 AM

I believe you can call MarkD's flash more 'finely tuned,' rather than more aggressive than the Dinan. Sayin' that... my car runs a hell-of-a-lot better since the flash!

I wholly recommend to be Mark'd!

MarkD 09-10-2010 09:38 AM

I heard people mentioning me so hear I am! *wave*

Bimmerdriver, you got all the correct answers already in the responses above. (thanks to both of you) though I would say that my tunes are more aggressive than the ones from California, aspecially because they don't have proper 91 octane gas there. And on top of that, Dinan tries to sell you a lot of hardware so you need stage 3 or 4 to get software similar to what I sell you right away.

With a slightly raised rev limit, you would just use it occasionally, not 10 times a day so wear on the motor is not increased. If you buy my software, you have 10 days to try and I'll restore your car back to stock if you feel that it does not work as expected for you.

And if you really want to know if there is some non-stock software in the car now, I can tell you by reading the ECU and comparing it to a stock file. Last September I tuned an E39 M5 and they were told there was Dinan software in there, but it was completely stock.

Bullet Ride 09-10-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 1449845)
Last September I tuned an E39 M5 and they were told there was Dinan software in there, but it was completely stock.

Gotta love when a stealership installs a general software update and overwrites the performance software as well*thmbsdwn*

MarkD is the man!

grapebimmer 09-10-2010 04:27 PM

A Mark'd man. LMAO

BimmerDriver 09-17-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 1449845)
I heard people mentioning me so hear I am! *wave*

Bimmerdriver, you got all the correct answers already in the responses above. (thanks to both of you) though I would say that my tunes are more aggressive than the ones from California, aspecially because they don't have proper 91 octane gas there. And on top of that, Dinan tries to sell you a lot of hardware so you need stage 3 or 4 to get software similar to what I sell you right away.

With a slightly raised rev limit, you would just use it occasionally, not 10 times a day so wear on the motor is not increased. If you buy my software, you have 10 days to try and I'll restore your car back to stock if you feel that it does not work as expected for you.

And if you really want to know if there is some non-stock software in the car now, I can tell you by reading the ECU and comparing it to a stock file. Last September I tuned an E39 M5 and they were told there was Dinan software in there, but it was completely stock.

Hello guys, I revved the engine the other day, and as it turns out I don't have the software cause it tops out at 6800 rpm. I'd like to thank you all for the replies, also, thanks for the info on your software Mark, I actually am very interested in your product.

I need however to get my car tuned back up to stock specs first, the other day I did a 0-60 run in 8.4 secs while stock should be around 6.5 secs since mine is a cabrio and automatic

Maybe towards the end of the year I will contact you though, for what I've noticed you are close to where I live anyways (East York). How much power and torque can I expect to gain from your software?

Also, does anyone know where can I buy replacement filters for my Dinan intake in the GTA or online?

richie_s999 09-17-2010 12:40 PM

If your coming to bimmercruise this Sunday come find me at the autocross, I know my car is just a 325is, but you can catch a ride with me on one of my autocross runs to see the jump Marks chip gave my car. That goes for anyone else who's thinking of Marks software too.

Ahctuning 09-23-2010 12:35 PM

Careful before anyone jumps into upgrading software. I heard (true or not), that if your car has (random) power loss issues, with or without CEL on, get that resolved first before getting into software performance upgrading. Will a performance software upgrade address the power loss issue? No according to doubters and naysayers out there.

So get your ride in tune firsts, otherwise you'll end up worst than before and see your hard-earned money down the drain twice. one for spending the money on the performance s/w upgrade and second to spend the money on the original problem (random intermittent power loss) which may require a factory (not performance) software upgrade and/or new maf, crankshaft sensor, etc.

Above applies not only to e36.

True or not, anyone?

MarkD 09-23-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahctuning (Post 1452771)
Careful before anyone jumps into upgrading software. I heard (true or not), that if your car has (random) power loss issues, with or without CEL on, get that resolved first before getting into software performance upgrading. Will a performance software upgrade address the power loss issue? No according to doubters and naysayers out there.

So get your ride in tune firsts, otherwise you'll end up worst than before and see your hard-earned money down the drain twice. one for spending the money on the performance s/w upgrade and second to spend the money on the original problem (random intermittent power loss) which may require a factory (not performance) software upgrade and/or new maf, crankshaft sensor, etc.

Above applies not only to e36.

True or not, anyone?

Performance software will not fix an inherent problem with the car. But I wouldn't say that money went down the drain twice if someone did upgrade a car with a problem. He just has to fix the problem and I'll load in the latest performance software. But I will say that when people say their car has a problem and ask me if performance software will fix it, I tell them no it won't and come back after they fix whatever is wrong. I see a few cars that have old software but not many, and most power loss problems are not due to old software, but failing sensors or other mechanical issues.

I have the tools to load in the latest BMW software in all cars made up until around 2005, and will be able to do that if someone wants performance software and has an old version.

Ahctuning 09-23-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 1452786)
Performance software will not fix an inherent problem with the car. But I wouldn't say that money went down the drain twice if someone did upgrade a car with a problem. He just has to fix the problem and I'll load in the latest performance software. But I will say that when people say their car has a problem and ask me if performance software will fix it, I tell them no it won't and come back after they fix whatever is wrong. I see a few cars that have old software but not many, and most power loss problems are not due to old software, but failing sensors or other mechanical issues.

I have the tools to load in the latest BMW software in all cars made up until around 2005, and will be able to do that if someone wants performance software and has an old version.

Yeah that is the moral honest right thing to do imo. advise the customer to fix outstanding drivability issues then and only then upgrade for performance. You know it.

Mark Im not understanding the bolded part. COuld you please expound on it a little bit.

MarkD 09-23-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahctuning (Post 1452792)
Yeah that is the moral honest right thing to do imo. advise the customer to fix outstanding drivability issues then and only then upgrade for performance. You know it.

Mark Im not understanding the bolded part. Could you please expound on it a little bit.

That means that instead of going to a dealership to get the software upgraded, I can do it. But I'll only do it if someone is buying my performance software, not otherwise. And I can't currently update cars that need an OPS head for updating, just the older ones.