maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels&Tires (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Stretched Tire got unmounted (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136657)

Michel 09-07-2010 09:22 PM

Stretched Tire got unmounted

Hey guys,

so I'm running a 245/35 on a 10" rim so it isn't one of those crazy stretches, but basically the other day my tire came off the rim (dismounted itself). I had this wheel refinished about a month ago, could it be that it was not properly remounted? What can cause a tire to un-mount itself this way? The tire was basically in brand new condition too...

thanks,
Mike

Bullet Ride 09-07-2010 10:01 PM

Did it happen in a corner?

Michel 09-07-2010 10:48 PM

^not sure, my brother was driving and didnt notice until he slowly took a turn and the car lost control. We don't drive it that aggressively with this setup eitherway. I'm hoping it just wasn't properly mounted that way I can somewhat be sure that that was the problem...

325isStephen 09-07-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel (Post 1449285)
^not sure, my brother was driving and didnt notice until he slowly took a turn and the car lost control. We don't drive it that aggressively with this setup eitherway. I'm hoping it just wasn't properly mounted that way I can somewhat be sure that that was the problem...

Either the tire was not mounted properly and was therefore not fully seated, or your tire pressure was low.

When you run a stretched tire you have to keep in mind that it is very hard if not impossible to tell if the tire is low on air by physical appearance. You need to be checking your pressures often to ensure it does not run low on air, as with any tire, stretched or not, that will cause tire failure and possible unseating of the bead.

Michel 09-07-2010 11:07 PM

^thanks, I figured it might have also been tire pressure... even then, doesn't it take like 90psi to pop the bead when first mounting? In daily driving, I don't think tires can flex enough (above 90psi's worth) to get them off the rim? I'm probably mistaken though...

also, what do you guys recommend for tire pressure? Should I stick close to the max of what it says on the sidewall?

Thanks for all the input so far!

325isStephen 09-07-2010 11:10 PM

I run 35-40 psi with a 205/40 on an 8 inch wide rim. I ran about 40 psi when I was running a 205/50 on a 9.5 inch wide rim.

I have never had problems on either, personally I stick to the 40 ish psi mark. Its what I have found to be a safe bet on my setups.

With your set up 40-45 psi is what I would recommend, but I've never run any profile smaller then 40 so far.

propr'one 09-07-2010 11:24 PM

Be very mindful of your PSI's when running stretched tires. Also, some tires have sidewalls more friendly to stretching. Mystikal might be able to shed some light, i dont know much about tires.

crxgsr 09-09-2010 05:04 PM

I would say low tire pressure too.

Basically, if the tire's not properly seated, whoever's doing the balancing should notice right away, if not by looking at the tire as it spins, but by the huge amounts of weights their putting on.

So probably check to see if the tire's leaking (nail hole or whatever) too since it's getting put back on.

Chris de la Cruz 09-14-2010 04:31 PM

tire pressure for sure. Happened to me. I was running 205/45 Kumho's on a 8.5" wide wheel and tire the dismounted itself mid corner (i wasn't drifting :D) and I noticed a nasty nail in it.

Even if its not properly seated it won't hold air at all.

Ivan, you can stretch anything lol. I had a buddy stretch 225 Rt 615's on a 10.5" rim.

parm 09-14-2010 08:17 PM

Low tire pressure and a tire mounted to work against itself in the mounted position, I wouldn't be supprised if it popped off.

Killerbimmer 10-08-2012 10:44 PM

i defnetly dont think its a mounting issue, we all love doing the stretched rubber. I had a similar experience, and when i called the tire company , they basically told me that no manufactuer recommends doing this and i am on my own ! FML

BMW BMXer 10-10-2012 11:50 AM

Well ya don't expect a manufacturer to back you when stretching.

Like Stephen I run around 40psi in my stretched rubber.

Michel 10-10-2012 02:59 PM

lol wow thread revival! Pretty sure it was low pressure. I sold the car last winter and told the new owner to watch out for tire pressure with these (he had no clue what stretching tires was). Needless to say, he had a tire unmount in the freezing cold because he hadn't checked the tire pressure when the weather changed..
Another one bites the dust! lol