maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Head light head ache!!!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136140)

e30STONES 08-19-2010 10:16 PM

Head light head ache!!!!
 
Hey everyone. To start I have an 86 325e 4dr. Headlights are set as follows. When the Low beams are on, I can run my fogs. And when i turn my high beams on the fogs turn off, Which is whatever, I dont care. THE PROBLEM!!!---> So i'm coming back from work and I turn on my headlights (lowbeams) and fogs on, to then see the driver side lowbeam is out. I get out the car and jiggle it to see if its loose but nothing. I then flick my Highbeams on, which shut off the fogs, AND MAGIC, all four lights are ON (Two lowbeams two highbeams). But when i take off my highbeams only the passenger side lowbeam stays on.
HELLLP!!!!!! Is it that my driverside lowbeam wiring for the driver side is messed? I dont see it being a fuse (i checked) and it can't be the bulb. Any suggestions or has anything similair happened to anyone?!?!

richie_s999 08-19-2010 10:36 PM

Bulb may be dual fillament, I can't fully remember

craz azn 08-19-2010 11:00 PM

Yeah, sealed beams have dual filaments. One for high, one for low.

e30STONES 08-20-2010 12:06 AM

and the problem is that easy?!? Alright lemmi check that.

325isStephen 08-20-2010 08:15 AM

Go to crappy tire, buy a replacement light for the driver side lowbeam and all will be fixed.

everlast 08-20-2010 09:02 AM

+1 on dual filament

Bullet Ride 08-20-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn (Post 1445253)
Yeah, sealed beams have dual filaments. One for high, one for low.

E30's shouldn't have dual filament beams that's why they had 4 head lights in the first place. 316 and 318 E21s on the other hand..... :)

Although that would be good if you wanted to do a driver side highbeam delete for a CAI... you could still maintain a high and low beam
hmmm....

325isStephen 08-20-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1445317)
E30's shouldn't have dual filament beams that's why they had 4 head lights in the first place. 316 and 318 E21s on the other hand..... :)

Although that would be good if you wanted to do a driver side highbeam delete for a CAI... you could still maintain a high and low beam
hmmm....

Light output of a sealed beam is horrible to begin with, thats why you need a dual filiment low beam for when you switch to highs, that way you might be able to see something on the road.

everlast 08-20-2010 10:17 AM

Three facts:

A. sealed low beams are dual filament
B. sealed low beams are WAY better than US ellips
C. when the glass gets pitted, spending $7 on a new bulb for new glass is nice.

That is all.

325isStephen 08-20-2010 10:19 AM

I vote to skip replacing the light and get euro ellips, e30 with awesome light output FTW

Bullet Ride 08-20-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1445320)
A. sealed low beams are dual filament

Really?

Whenever I turn on my highbeams it looks like the outer lights turn off and the inner light turn on. To be honest though I've never actually gotten out to look at my lights unless my check panel tells me to lol.

In retrospect I guess that makes sense since the plug for the lowbeam has 3 wires going to it.

everlast 08-20-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1445327)
Really?

Whenever I turn on my highbeams it looks like the outer lights turn off and the inner light turn on. To be honest though I've never actually gotten out to look at my lights unless my check panel tells me to lol.

In retrospect I guess that makes sense since the plug for the lowbeam has 3 wires going to it.

For real, yeah. Maybe you have different bulbs, but the 2 E30s I had with sealed beams had dual filament low beams that were actually very good compared to the US ellipsoid candles I have now.

e30_kid89 08-20-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1445328)
For real, yeah. Maybe you have different bulbs, but the 2 E30s I had with sealed beams had dual filament low beams that were actually very good compared to the US ellipsoid candles I have now.

They must not have HIDs in them...US ellipsoids with HIDs is good bang for buck lighting!

E30M42cab 08-20-2010 05:38 PM

They've been dual filiment since the 60's, maybe even earlier. They're the same low beams that go on pretty much every 60's american car with round headlights (1964 Ford Galaxie 500 just for example). That's why they're a three plug... one plug for low beam power, then it switches to the other plug/filament for when the high's are on.

DYMO 08-20-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1445317)
E30's shouldn't have dual filament beams that's why they had 4 head lights in the first place. 316 and 318 E21s on the other hand..... :)

Although that would be good if you wanted to do a driver side highbeam delete for a CAI... you could still maintain a high and low beam
hmmm....

what about 316's? i still got the factory lights on my 316. my highbeams are retardedly strong


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.