maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Disappointed with New Asphalt Driveway (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135731)

steve.325i 08-05-2010 11:09 PM

Disappointed with New Asphalt Driveway

Hi guys, this it totally off topic.

I just had my 16 year old asphalt driveway replaced - well it was ripped out a month ago but it was finally replaced today - and I'm not very happy with the results.

I am in the Brampton area and after recieving a few quotes we went with Nationwide Paving out of Woodbridge.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_zDswTOUwmZY/TF...0/IMG_5654.JPG

I have posted pics on picasa but it was a little difficult to capture how it really looks. The pictures look better than it is in really life.

This is the first time I have has asphalt replaced but I definitely expected a smoother, less rocky finish. With all these nooks & crannies, I expect the top layer to flacke off with the first frost.

Any comments would be appreciated. Full size pics are ported here:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/110687185...eat=directlink

LOSO 08-05-2010 11:14 PM

Should've went with concrete.

steve.325i 08-05-2010 11:30 PM

Yeah, that's what my wife said !!!

Blackedout95 08-05-2010 11:35 PM

Question, did they put a top coat/sealer on it yet?

See from what I understand the type and thickness of the gravel base that will be installed under the blacktop is the most important thing. What I believe you are seeing is the mixture of larger stone which makes up the top surface. You can make it pretty but it doesnt mean its stronger. Also it is actual best to seal months later and let the drive cure.

steve.325i 08-05-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1441682)
Question, did they put a top coat/sealer on it yet?

See from what I understand the type and thickness of the gravel base that will be installed under the blacktop is the most important thing. What I believe you are seeing is the mixture of larger stone which makes up the top surface. You can make it pretty but it doesnt mean its stronger. Also it is actual best to seal months later and let the drive cure.

No, they have not put or as far as I know plan to put a sealer on it.

The have put a single 3 inch layer of "HL3a" asphalt and that's all they are doing. A bunch of driveways in my area have been getting re-done lately and they all look a heck of a lot better than mine.

I understand about letting it sit for a while before sealing, but some of the gaps in the surface are too large fo a sealer to fill completely.

Thanks for you input.

Blackedout95 08-05-2010 11:51 PM

Wait, so there is no base beneath that of finer stone that was compacted?

And yes they should seal it but several months later, perhaps spring 2011.

325isdan 08-05-2010 11:53 PM

That looks like a very crappy job to me. You can see seams and lines all over the place.

steve.325i 08-05-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1441690)
Wait, so there is no base beneath that of finer stone that was compacted?

And yes they should seal it but several months later, perhaps spring 2011.

Yes, the original base was re-levelled & re-rolled.

I think sealling is up to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isdan (Post 1441691)
That looks like a very crappy job to me. You can see seams and lines all over the place.

Yup, I agree. Just wanted to put it out there before I complain.

Blackedout95 08-06-2010 12:14 AM

Never imo should the original base be releveled, it should ALL have been taken up. Remember the base is the most important part and unless completely removed and done again who know what really is there. jmo

So if you are not getting a seal in the spring, they did half the job properly and the top looks bad, what type of savings did you realize over other quotes?

steve.325i 08-06-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackedout95 (Post 1441699)
Never imo should the original base be releveled, it should ALL have been taken up. Remember the base is the most important part and unless completely removed and done again who know what really is there. jmo

So if you are not getting a seal in the spring, they did half the job properly and the top looks bad, what type of savings did you realize over other quotes?

All three were within $100 of eachother. It was a crap shoot. We went with the guy that we liked the best.

Robb 08-06-2010 12:39 AM

Interlock or stone. Thats all I would do !

lvan 08-06-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb (Post 1441717)
Interlock or stone. Thats all I would do !

+1, and dont have to mess around with it for a while.

Arash 08-06-2010 01:20 AM

That doesn't look like HL3 to me, looks like they used left over HL8 from another job. It's just as strong but looks bad,, you have every right to complain. It's also possible that they screwed up the compaction, it's hard to tell now that it's said and done. They're from Woodbridge? good luck getting them to fix it.

HavocSteve 08-06-2010 02:04 AM

I hope you didn't pay more then 1500$ for that job >_< my parents 900$ 5 car driveway looked better when we bought a new place in bowmanville. Concrete would look nice because you can add texture and not to mention it would last forever.

slemmer 08-06-2010 09:42 AM

Many of the driveways are done like the roads - 2 step. Course and strong base with a finer sand based top coat. The draw back with a sand finish is that it's more suspectable to small puncture marks such as kick stands, tire marks etc. If the contractor did the complete job in one step they're basically savinig money since they lay it down and move on. Sealing is to be done by yourself or a third party after the first year preferably after the first frost. Oils will continue to rise and weep at the surface for the first year. Hope they dug down at least a foot and compacted the base hard so you don't experience any settling afterwards.