maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronic Anti-Rust Devices (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135516)

uber e36 07-28-2010 10:14 PM

Electronic Anti-Rust Devices

Love to get your feedback on a question I posted over here: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-related-...-products.html

DOLPHIN 07-30-2010 05:29 PM

It will sent a feed back signal thought all the grounding points in the car,there fore it will not work as safe as they say it will..

propr'one 07-30-2010 06:49 PM

This topic has been discussed at length. BMW underbodies aren't typically one piece which makes these products much less effective.

uber e36 07-31-2010 12:11 AM

Thanks guys!

DOLPHIN 07-31-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1440444)
This topic has been discussed at length. BMW underbodies aren't typically one piece which makes these products much less effective.

That is very ture,but in general they do not work as they say they do..*th-up*

sloveniaboy 07-31-2010 02:17 PM

geoff, your best bet is to decline that bs anti-rust unit and have the car sprayed by a reputable shop. I do my own rust proofing but I hear Krown is pretty good. FYI - make sure to check all water channels for cleanliness, any blockages in doors etc. will pool water/salt and cause problems down the road

uber e36 08-01-2010 11:26 AM

^ Thanks for the water drain advice Rob! You seriously rust proof your own car? That's wicked! I've taken other cars to Krown, so I'll probably stick to that route.

e36rok 08-01-2010 01:21 PM

I paid $1500 for the top of the line Anti-Rust device on my X5. It was a 2002, and by 2008 I had rust in 3 places. I dropped the keys off at the dealer and said 'Take it back this isn't what you guaranteed.' My new hauler is a Tacoma, that will get rust proofed yearly by Krown. $100/year will save you many headaches down the road, just get it rust proofed, these claims are all BS, whether you pay $100 or $2000.

ClayMan 08-01-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e36rok (Post 1440680)
I paid $1500 for the top of the line Anti-Rust device on my X5. It was a 2002, and by 2008 I had rust in 3 places. I dropped the keys off at the dealer and said 'Take it back this isn't what you guaranteed.' My new hauler is a Tacoma, that will get rust proofed yearly by Krown. $100/year will save you many headaches down the road, just get it rust proofed, these claims are all BS, whether you pay $100 or $2000.

And they took the X5 back? What did they give you for it?

e36rok 08-01-2010 10:49 PM

That's a typo it was an 01. They took it back for $16.5k, and I bought the Tacoma from there as well, it was 2 years old on the used lot with 37000km. It was $31k, I dropped off the bimmer, took the truck, and my monthly payments stayed within $10. I was looking for a reason to get rid of the X5 anyways, over the past couple of years it's been asking for a lot, especially the way I maintain them. Plus in comparison to my 20 year old F150 it couldn't haul worth anything. It can haul a couple of seadoos and canoes, but that's about it. Compared to my F-150 or Jeep it's weak... luxurious and expensive, but weak. I've never seen a car stuggle so much with a 22' Larson hitched to it.

I should note, I'm a negotiator as a profession so I can work my way around a petty car salesman. We've bought our last 15-20 cars from this same dealership and we only take our cars there, even the 1990 Volvo beater, the Jeep, the 84 GTi, and every toy inbetween, we've spent a few college tuitions' worth there in the last decade alone. They treat me like royalty, so when I was upset that a guarantee was, well... not guaranteed, they were more than willing to work with me to seat me in a newer vehicle. They took the car back for much more than wholesale, even retail, but I've paid my dues and they continue to get payments from me for 4 seperate vehicles, I call it a win-win.

But the point is, rust protection is garbage. I can understand the theory behind it, but cathodic and anodic protection on every part of the car is impossible. Independent tests even show that it can slow it down, but not prevent corrosion on vehicles, especially those continuously abused by snow and salt.

What I've found to be the killer after 20 years of dealing with rust, is my heated garage. I roll in with snow and salt on the car, park it, and go inside. When all the snow melts it leaves the undercarriage damp, salty, and now in a hot environment, where rust calls home. Get your car Krown rust proofed EVERY october, and keep it outside during the winters, but wash it weakly (auto car wash is fine for a season, but do a detail in March or April), that's the best advice I have.