maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   metallic noise (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135475)

Megageek 07-27-2010 02:48 AM

metallic noise

Has anyone experienced this before? When I switch gears from 1st to 2nd, for the time I take my foot off the gas and engage the clutch, I hear to strange metallic noise coming from what sounds like the right side of the car. It sounds like something is loose. I have a service appointment tomorrow for a burnt out headlight, so I plan on bringing it up. Also I hear the noise when Im in neutral and a hit the gas. After I squeeze the gas and the rpms go back down I can hear it.

I have a 2007 335i, standard.

Also, on average how long does the mirror tilting when you put it in reverse last? both my mirrors stopped doing this days after buying the car. I hope its still covered under the remaining balance of the warranty.

pawcio 07-27-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megageek (Post 1439623)
Has anyone experienced this before? When I switch gears from 1st to 2nd, for the time I take my foot off the gas and engage the clutch, I hear to strange metallic noise coming from what sounds like the right side of the car. It sounds like something is loose. I have a service appointment tomorrow for a burnt out headlight, so I plan on bringing it up. Also I hear the noise when Im in neutral and a hit the gas. After I squeeze the gas and the rpms go back down I can hear it.

I have a 2007 335i, standard.

Also, on average how long does the mirror tilting when you put it in reverse last? both my mirrors stopped doing this days after buying the car. I hope its still covered under the remaining balance of the warranty.

sounds like something cold be loose but its hard to say without hearing it first hand. is the sound persistent and increase with the revs or only there for a short time when you engage the clutch and and rev in neutral?

as for the tilting mirror thing. my car is an '01 and the mirrors still tilt.

Megageek 07-27-2010 11:40 AM

FYI incase your interested. Its the turbo. Great.
I heard they have addressed the turbo valve issue by designing a new one that is far more reliable. Can anyone who has had a replacement turbo installed recently confirm this? Its all under warranty, but that expires February of next year. I would hate to have to foot this bill by myself if the same POS turbo blows in the next 6 months.

Bimmermann 09-06-2010 08:30 PM

Front or rear of car? Front = most likely turbos. Rear = most likely the gate in the exhaust.

Nick_V 09-08-2010 01:28 PM

FYI: In my E34, you can turn the mirror tilting function on/off depending on the position of the selector for the mirror adjustment (driver's side it tilts, pass it doesn't or vice-versa, can't remember).

edit: you probably already know this since I just realized you made the thread in July. Sorry...