maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW News (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   BMW Completes First Restoration: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135306)

Bullet Ride 07-20-2010 01:00 PM

BMW Completes First Restoration: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi

http://imgs.worldcarfans.com/2010/7/...9957856504.jpg

After announcing the opening of the BMW Classic Center this April, German manufacturer BMW announced it completed the first restoration of one of its old vehicles. The first car to be restored by BMW is a 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi, a car who was handed back to its owner during a ceremony at the BMW Welt.

The modifications and repairs made by BMW to the 1972 model included the conversion of the car's four-speed manual gearbox into an automatic one. This was perhaps the trickiest work done on the model, so far only two prototypes of the model car fitted with such a tranny.

In the end, the 3.0 CSi got itself an automatic, transplanted from a BMW 2.8 CS. Aside for this, the BMW had to undergo extensive bodywork, technical and electronic tweaks and even interior overhauling.

“The successful restoration of the BMW 3.0 CSi shows that we are on the right track and that, together with our partners within the BMW Group network of facilities, we are capable of restoring vehicles to the highest quality standards and to individual customer specifications,” Ralf Vierlein, head of Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group Classic said in a statement.

BMW says there are currently at least 200,000 owners of BMW vehicles from earlier decades. Of course, most of them are in need of care, so BMW set up the BMW Classic workshop. Today, the German manufacturer plans to expand the special service into other countries as well, as a means to help old-Bimmer owners enjoy their cars for a little longer.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...csi-22612.html

I think that it's pretty cool that BMW is straight up offering a service like this. I wonder what limitations (if any) they have on the cars that they will restore.

noid 07-20-2010 11:42 PM

AMAZING, my dream adventure: buy a Euro e30 and send it straight to bmw to restore to 100% original and factory fresh

5style 07-21-2010 12:49 AM

LOL auto for manual swap. FAIL

spoony_prelude 07-21-2010 12:56 AM

^^^ its a classic, not a race car, besides the owner im sure is an older man, so its understandible why he would want something easier to drive.

I think bmw is one of the most dedicated auto makers in the world, they dont just build cars for today and tomorrow, but they stay true to their origins!

BMW ftmfw!

Jay

MiroE36 07-21-2010 10:07 AM

that is pretty awesome! I hope they open up more around the world, I'm sure that htere is plenty of interest for it.

richie_s999 07-21-2010 11:28 AM

BMW could be the first automaker going after this part of the market, I can't think of any other car maker who is trying to set up a global restoration system, which will have them selling more parts, and continuing to service vehicles from decades ago, I want the Canadian or Ontario franchise!!

HavocSteve 07-21-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1438385)
BMW could be the first automaker going after this part of the market, I can't think of any other car maker who is trying to set up a global restoration system, which will have them selling more parts, and continuing to service vehicles from decades ago, I want the Canadian or Ontario franchise!!

Yep, I can see big money signs for restoring E30's to factory. Not to mention all the little things that are pretty tough to get.

I'm hoping Ontario gets one so maybe later on I can get a really nice E30 that doesn't need to much and send it in *rockout*

Dissembler 07-21-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1438385)

In a slightly different way, I think ford did it first. If you flip through their classic parts/fordracingparts catalogue, you can order any piece of any significant model in fords history from the model t all the way up to the bronco of the early 70s (and I literally mean anythint, from control arms to interior trim even an entire frame+body!). They are using the original tooling and dies too!

There was an article about it in autoblog a month or two ago

Bullet Ride 07-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavocSteve (Post 1438445)
I'm hoping Ontario gets one....

Don't hold your breath. The demand for this kind of thing probably won't be large enough for them to even have to expand outside of their current operations in Germany. The people that send their cars there send them with a wish list and a blank cheque. Not many people are interested in buying an E30 for a few thousand dollars and then spending $20k restoring the car to factory condition.

craz azn 07-22-2010 12:28 AM

Pretty sure BMW is behind the ball on this one. Mercedes, Porsche, and even Ferrari have similar Parts and Shop Services much like this. I think it's about damn time they started to support the older vehicles, as they haven't IMO in the past. Prices are still outrageous and you are far better off finding stuff from a private parts retailer.

tominizer 07-22-2010 10:16 AM

Let's be honest.......... there isn't an E30 owner here on this forum that's going to use this type of service. No E30 owners go to a stealership for service because of the costs.......... and you think they would actually spend money to go back to BMW for a restoration !??!?!? *drink* E30 owners are the cheapest bastards of the BMW world (I don't mean that in a bad way, just relatively speaking as it doesn't get any cheaper then an E30). Recent E30 owner quote......."Why do body work when duct tape does the same thing........." WTF??!?!??! The only E30 that I can see going back for a factory over-haul, which would be not only worthy but totally awesome, would be the M3. But I'd hazzard the ticket would be sky high.

I've mentioned this before. I believe there are bits hanging around to build a new E30 M3 from the ground up. I know there are factory unpainted shells in someone's ownership in Europe somewhere, and a friend of mine had a brand new factory crated up S14 motor that had never been installed. Imagine that........ a brand new zero mileage E30 M3. :P

calegrant 07-22-2010 08:22 PM

Yea I don't think people understand the costs associated with doing a complete restoration of a car that doesn't have an insane market place for replacement parts like american cars do. I imagine you could get into a brand new 335i for the cost of one of these factory restorations, so you've gotta be passionate and have the bank account to back it up.

bmwins 07-26-2010 10:43 PM

Great option for E30 M3 lovers....

Axxe 07-27-2010 07:47 PM

Most bmw's that need restoration, the owners can't afford to get a bearing replaced at the dealer not to mention a full restoration.

luve30 08-03-2010 07:13 PM

Too bad about the auto swap but I hope they keep doing these restorations as it might help prevent some parts from going NLA.