maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Has anybody had BMW cover the faulty subframe tear-out? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134377)

mr.rhtuner 06-19-2010 12:35 PM

Has anybody had BMW cover the faulty subframe tear-out?

Hey everybody, I've been doing a bit of reading and found a few links where a class action complaint was set against BMW NA due to the E46 3-series having defective subframes and causing the tear-out

I've called BMW this morning and spoke with a service advisor and I explained to him this issue and about the suit placed against BMW NA and was wondering if BMW Canada covers this same issue.

He said I can book and bring my car in for the Free inspection to check on the condition of the subframe.

I asked him if there would be any damage would BMW cover it and he told me that they have to see the car first before anything can be said.

I'm wondering, has anybody on here had this free inspection done or the repair work done on their e46 3-series?

This 'offer' from bmw for the repair is only valid till sept 2010 so that's one reason why I want to get this inspected and possibly repaired if it's an issue before they stop offering it.

links:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=class+action

http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com/

hamant 06-19-2010 01:54 PM

I had my car inspected fo free at a BMW dealership long time ago, my subframe was fine though

xlr8nbimbo 06-25-2010 10:03 PM

When I mentioned it to the BMW service guys, they gave me the impression that it was not an issue or up for any kind of repair settlement in Canada. I don't don't know if they were instructed to look bewildered and relay that message or what. They did mention, however, that the subframe problem was only on M3's and not regular E46's like mine. And that it wasn't an issue on other models - especially my 330xi. Whaddaythinkathat? Hmmmm?

hamant 07-01-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8nbimbo (Post 1431646)
When I mentioned it to the BMW service guys, they gave me the impression that it was not an issue or up for any kind of repair settlement in Canada. I don't don't know if they were instructed to look bewildered and relay that message or what. They did mention, however, that the subframe problem was only on M3's and not regular E46's like mine. And that it wasn't an issue on other models - especially my 330xi. Whaddaythinkathat? Hmmmm?

i heard otherwise, i heard its all E46's (earlier one's) that could be effected by this problem

328i 09-24-2010 01:27 PM

Mine is in the shop now ! Fully covered by BMW Canada :)
- shop said its about 20 hours of labor and over $4000 to do the work thats being done so im very very grateful of BMW taking care of this and not even with much of a hassel. I should get it back some time next week after they do an alignment and bleed the brakes! cant wait !

*by the way im in a 99' 328i

webb70 09-25-2010 06:58 AM

^^ Which dealership is it at if you don't mind??

Thank you

330Hi 09-25-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webb70 (Post 1453188)
^^ which dealership is it at if you don't mind??

Thank you

+1!!!!

xlr8nbimbo 09-25-2010 11:24 PM

Is this a hoax? Who's doing the repairs? Provide some details please.

330Hi 09-27-2010 10:13 AM

What happened 328i?

328i 09-27-2010 11:58 AM

My car was inspected at BMW Mississauga, sent for body work which being done at European Auto Body and then back to BMW Mississauga for Alignment & bleeding of the brakes.

What i did was call BMW Canada to explain the situation then they asked me to take it to any local BMW and speak to service manager. Then they do the inspection and one has to wait until they authorize the repair to be done. Simple as that.

* things to consider:
- I put stock wheels on.
- I have stock suspension.
- My e46 is one of the early models
- and finally I was persistant *th-up*

prince1 09-27-2010 01:17 PM

So is this thing still going on? I mean can we take it in for a free inspection still??

328i 09-29-2010 09:35 AM

Update !

I got my car back yesterday*mw*.. and i havent stopped smiling since !
- No more thump when shifting gears
- No more vibration at steering wheel
- No more sound from the rear subframe
- No more brake lights on
- and just an all around "new" feeling, driving is like night and day

Very happy with BMW for taking care of me.
- Best of luck for anyone trying to get this done *th-up*

oakville46 09-29-2010 06:33 PM

Congrats 328i ... hopefully those around here can get their's covered too. I have to get mine checked out this winter since I have an inspection coming up anyways.

scotty328ci 09-30-2010 04:17 AM

i went to my nearest dealership to ask about the sub frame issue , and out of everyone there only one tech new what i was talking about and said he had only one e46 owner come in with the prob and he ended up going through his insurance company to pay for it.

so it doesnt seem to be a real big issue here in canada

328i 09-30-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakville46 (Post 1454187)
Congrats 328i ... hopefully those around here can get their's covered too. I have to get mine checked out this winter since I have an inspection coming up anyways.

Thanks man, i am happy with the result. P/M me if you need any information/help