maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   smoke test (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134334)

agentM 06-17-2010 10:19 PM

smoke test
 
Anybody know where I can get a smoke test in T.O. Thanks

everlast 06-17-2010 10:47 PM

You're talking about a way to find leaks? I prefer a quiet area with 15psi of air pressure instead. The smoke test may not reveal areas that leak only under boost.

Go to princess auto and find the parts to make a cap of your intake pipe and drill and tap a port for an air inlet. Then get a compressor and push air into the intake pipe, and listen for leaks.

agentM 06-17-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1429590)
You're talking about a way to find leaks? I prefer a quiet area with 15psi of air pressure instead. The smoke test may not reveal areas that leak only under boost.

Go to princess auto and find the parts to make a cap of your intake pipe and drill and tap a port for an air inlet. Then get a compressor and push air into the intake pipe, and listen for leaks.

When you say make a cap for the intake pipe, do you mean take all six pipe off and cover it with a cap? When its under pressure wouldn't the air come out of the BOV? Still not sure. thanks for the help.

everlast 06-18-2010 12:49 AM

Six pipe? What do you mean?

I meant take off your air filter, and make a cap that will cap the intake pipe where the air filter bolted on, if possible. I'd have to know the layout of your intake piping, I guess. More details?

The BOV should be shut with no vacuum to pull it open, if its open at 100kpa (0 psi of boost) then you're venting boost, ie, boost leak. You'd need to adjust the BOV to be closed at 0 PSI.

agentM 06-18-2010 07:01 AM

IC, thanks, I'll try it in the weekend. That's a big cap I have to buy since the air filter is about 5" wide.*th-up*

everlast 06-18-2010 11:23 AM

is it round or square? if its round, the filter might be 5" but the pipe will not be that big.

bmwconnect 06-18-2010 12:02 PM

something like this works just great.

http://www.mirage-performance.com/Ec...aktester01.jpg

everlast 06-18-2010 02:50 PM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to describe!

agentM 06-18-2010 08:33 PM

It's round. Is that where you got from Princess Auto?

everlast 06-19-2010 12:43 PM

You can get the stuff needed to make the adapter in the pic at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc.

agentM 06-19-2010 06:18 PM

If I do this myself I will have to take a view things apart. I have to take my fan, then the blower. Then the hose to the intake manifold. Take the under cover , jack up the car, dam, I might want to give it to the shop to test it for 1 hr service. The have the smoke to test and it will be easier for them. Thanks for the info, I have to see if I have time for this. It took me 18 hrs to put this S/c in.

What is that cover made of in that picture? What section in Canadian tire can I find that rubber cover?

uzi577 06-22-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentM (Post 1430007)
If I do this myself I will have to take a view things apart. I have to take my fan, then the blower. Then the hose to the intake manifold. Take the under cover , jack up the car, dam, I might want to give it to the shop to test it for 1 hr service. The have the smoke to test and it will be easier for them. Thanks for the info, I have to see if I have time for this. It took me 18 hrs to put this S/c in.

What is that cover made of in that picture? What section in Canadian tire can I find that rubber cover?

hi agentM
I too suffer form chronic vacuum leaks.I am wondering if you made any head way with this contraption.:confused:

agentM 06-22-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzi577 (Post 1430565)
hi agentM
I too suffer form chronic vacuum leaks.I am wondering if you made any head way with this contraption.:confused:

I'm so busy at work I didn't get a chance yet. I probably do it if I had time. I might just go to a shop and get a smoke test. I think it's pretty easy to find out my leak but I have to find time. I'm only loosing 1 psi so I'm not leaking that bad. I think.

everlast 06-22-2010 05:25 PM

boost leaks are not as bad on a supercharger setup. a turbo boost leak can mean the end of the turbo due to overspeed.

uzi577 09-02-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentM (Post 1430643)
I'm so busy at work I didn't get a chance yet. I probably do it if I had time. I might just go to a shop and get a smoke test. I think it's pretty easy to find out my leak but I have to find time. I'm only loosing 1 psi so I'm not leaking that bad. I think.


HI Agent
Any updates, Did you get around to it?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.