maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Quad/ATV riders? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134252)

bunnykiller 06-15-2010 01:54 AM

Quad/ATV riders?

Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this but do any of you dride quads? I gonna be geting one once the prices drop after summer but I'm not sure if I should go new to avoid all the maitnenece of a used machine? Any susgestions?

magnus 06-15-2010 04:13 AM

I have a Polaris Sportsman 6x6. I bought it slightly used from the dealer and came with warranty too!
Thats what i suggest you do too. That way you save money on the new price and you get it more or less new! But shop around!

davericher20 06-15-2010 12:01 PM

I used to race them when I was a teenager, I would recommend going new but there are gems out there. It's just a hassle to buy used cause most of the really nice ones are generally up north.
I would stay away from Polaris for atv's. Bear in mind they can be financed new for like $150/month.

Is this your first one? Have you ever ridden before?
Is it gonna be a screw around bush rider? Do you want to track it? Do you like to jump them?

An auto would be ideal if you're inexperienced.

old yamaha warrior if you want to learn clutch, Honda 400ex is really nice too if you have a little experience
Yamaha YFZ450 ftw if you know how to ride. But I'm pretty biased.

magnus 06-15-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davericher20 (Post 1428950)
I would stay away from Polaris for atv's. Bear in mind they can be financed new for like $150/month.

I am happy with mine. Saying that its not a race quad but for the things i need it its awesome...only fault i had was a snaped drivebelt once but that was more my fault!

rodo 06-16-2010 12:09 AM

I think it depends a lot on what you get. If you get a "race" machine, aka high strung motor, then go new. Those things are really finnicky... bikes anyways. I know my rmz250 was a b*tch. However, for a utility quad I would buy used no problem.

SickFinga 06-16-2010 06:12 AM

Can anyone explain why they are not street legal in Ontario?

3x Beemer 06-16-2010 09:49 AM

If yoú're not racing then buy used!!you can get one like a year old and save a few grand, just wait to find one that hasn't been abused and you'll be fine. and if you're getting one like 5 years old then ya just make sure it's in good shape.

personally i wouldn't buy a used race dirt bike, usually their maintenance is up to date but the thing has still been ridden the crap outta it. Just wait and find a quad that the guy used on his property or trails or something, then you can almost garantee it hasn't been ridden hard.

davericher20 06-16-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickFinga (Post 1429138)
Can anyone explain why they are not street legal in Ontario?

I think if you put signals on it you can ride them, that's what a buddy of mine did up north anyways, idk about down here

bunnykiller 06-16-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davericher20 (Post 1429194)
I think if you put signals on it you can ride them, that's what a buddy of mine did up north anyways, idk about down here

Yea, in northern Ontario they are street legal. There is so many things you gotta do to make it street legal in southern Ontario its not worth it. Street tires, mud flaps, signals, roll cage, seat belt probably even air bags as stupid as it sounds. It's not like a bike where you can more easly manouver in tight situations. On a quad imagine getting into a situation where you have to break hard or swerve hard. A quad can't really do any of that without launching you off it or rolling.

AMG_POWER 06-16-2010 10:16 PM

I just came back from Cyprus those things everywhere they tune them up and they look ride and sound awesome.... Luved it.

ImolaZHP 06-16-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnykiller (Post 1428898)
Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this but do any of you dride quads? I gonna be geting one once the prices drop after summer but I'm not sure if I should go new to avoid all the maitnenece of a used machine? Any susgestions?

:huh?: Prices will be higher after summer...fall is the main season for quads!!!

Buy it now or wait until January.