maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Wiring problem e30 rear windows (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133749)

Ceeker 05-30-2010 02:46 PM

Wiring problem e30 rear windows

I have a 4 door and one rear window sometimes works and other doesn't. I checked the switches and they are fine. has anyone had similar problems with the rear windows?

suggestions would be appreciated.

thx.

Ceeker 05-30-2010 07:48 PM

upate:update: So I pulled the accordion back on both doors and found the plastic sheathing on the heavy wires was broken exposing the wire. But they weren't broken. I decided to by pass the wiring and go directly to the window motors. Both work when I connect direct power. So motors work. I had both windows working from the main switches. Then the right motor stopped. Went back to jump it and wouldn't budge. the motor got really hot. Left side also worked until I started making it work from the back door switch. Also stopped.

Does anyone know what it could be?

W2WDETAILING 05-30-2010 07:49 PM

i had this too and it was the switch double triple check the switches in the back doors

W2WDETAILING 05-30-2010 07:49 PM

check the fuses??

Ceeker 05-30-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING (Post 1424481)
check the fuses??

Fuses are fine I can hear the motor clicking. I switched the switches to make sure they weren't faulty. they all work fine. I think when the motors get hot they jam..this is my suspicion. So I am wondering if they are on their way to seizing?

did you head to Rudy's place today?

InfiniteDice 05-30-2010 08:34 PM

Do you have the rear window cutout switch activated? It's on the center console near the shifter.

Other than that, I'd say it's the connector/rubber boot area of the door where the hinges are.

Good luck they can be evil. I had one of the wires broken/shorting.

Ceeker 05-30-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteDice (Post 1424489)
Do you have the rear window cutout switch activated? It's on the center console near the shifter.

Other than that, I'd say it's the connector/rubber boot area of the door where the hinges are.

Good luck they can be evil. I had one of the wires broken/shorting.

Apparently you're right...it can be evil as the wires usually break in that rubber boot; which I did find plastic breaking but no breakage of wire. I was also told by my buddy from BMW that multiple breaks can also happen. which means further tracing. UGH!!!! I have to get the last window back up before the rain hits tomorrow! lol.

I was messing around with the switch and even opened it just to see how simple it was. it works fine as the window switches light up with the switch is off. there is a short or something in there...more digging.

thanks for input.

InfiniteDice 05-31-2010 01:30 PM

Pull the motor, raise the window then jam a pre-cut piece of wood in there to hold it up... Ghetto, but stops the rain from getting in till you have the time to sort it out.

Ceeker 05-31-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteDice (Post 1424676)
Pull the motor, raise the window then jam a pre-cut piece of wood in there to hold it up... Ghetto, but stops the rain from getting in till you have the time to sort it out.

pulling the motor is another story..I have a spare parts car and taking out the regulator is a bitch. I've loosened it off but have no idea how to get it out -these cable drive regs are a PITA!!

Do you have experience removing the rear door regulators/motor?

thanks for the tip. :-) yeah that is ghetto!! LOL