maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Changing SLS with EDC stiffness. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133684)

V12 05-28-2010 12:29 AM

Changing SLS with EDC stiffness.

I am wondering if these shocks can be modified to be more stiffer. I'm planning to keep self levelling in the rear and only have H&R for the fronts with Bilsteins.

Need a pair of used rear SLS with EDC shocks to take apart to see if I can make them more stiff.

Now you are probably asking why keep the SLS with EDC. Well EDC allows you to select a firmer setting via a switch on the dash.

So let me know if you have a pair that is sitting around that I can use for this experiment.

Thanks

740-iLL 05-28-2010 02:57 AM

I had the SLS but without EDC

V12 05-29-2010 11:01 AM

That might be something to work through if I cannot get an EDC version to try out.

Dammerung 05-30-2010 02:07 AM

My SLS will be coming out soon as well but again no EDC. Sitting at 130K

overlordjd 05-30-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V12 (Post 1423907)
I am wondering if these shocks can be modified to be more stiffer. I'm planning to keep self levelling in the rear and only have H&R for the fronts with Bilsteins.

Need a pair of used rear SLS with EDC shocks to take apart to see if I can make them more stiff.

Now you are probably asking why keep the SLS with EDC. Well EDC allows you to select a firmer setting via a switch on the dash.

So let me know if you have a pair that is sitting around that I can use for this experiment.

Thanks

That is an interesting project. You peeked my interest and given me something to research with the EDC. let me know how it all turns out for you.

V12 05-31-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlordjd (Post 1424361)
That is an interesting project. You peeked my interest and given me something to research with the EDC. let me know how it all turns out for you.

Sure, are you thinking about this for your E39?

overlordjd 05-31-2010 07:49 AM

if it is possible, I will do it for my e39 540.
after further research, it appears the cost and trouble sourcing these parts far outweigh any gains I would have by doing this retrofit.

I already have the sport model and there are lots of aftermarket suspensions out there that would be great replacements.

V12 05-31-2010 11:04 AM

It all depends on what you need the suspension to do for you.
The only reason I've not gone to a standard springs and shocks setup is SLS auto adjusts the height to level regardless of additional weight in the car.
I do occasionally have 4 people in the car wil a fully loaded trunk. Most cars will bottom out a bit. You must have seen some where the rear rides lower than the front. In cottage country runs on the weekends, they have their headlights pointing to the sky and blinding all oncoming traffic.

Adding EDC then firms it up on those fun windy northern roads even with a full load of passengers and luggage.