maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Custom Cluster faces (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133557)

NOTORIOUS VR 05-24-2010 02:50 PM

Custom Cluster faces
 
Just wanted to share my latest little project... I decided to make some custom cluster faces for my friends turbo E30.

Euro/M3 cluster are expensive (~400 Euro) and still you have the MPG thing in the cluster which I really wanted to get rid of.

So I decided to make my own faces... it's just a test fit and such so ignore the extra holes in the RPM face.

http://i46.tinypic.com/352k6eh.jpg

HavocSteve 05-24-2010 02:56 PM

That looks cool. I'm going to be doing the same shortly by adding my own touch to my cluster just to make it look a little more sharp. I like the turbo lettering though. Reminds me of Porche lettering.

Dissembler 05-24-2010 05:13 PM

Neat! How are you going to get the speedo to operate accurately around the the full 360

craz azn 05-24-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1422944)
Neat! How are you going to get the speedo to operate accurately around the the full 360

Should still work bro, he just pulled the needle off and positioned it somewhere else. Racing Dynamics has a similar gauge setup in the early 90s for E30s, with the Redline set at 12 o clock IIRC.

Sasha, that looks bomb man, are you making a new gauge face for the RPM(to cover that mpg bit)? Are they printed on metal, or just vinyl?

Dissembler 05-24-2010 10:39 PM

^^ i see what he did with tach, seems simple enough, but i'm wondering about the speedometer. The speedo on an average e30 only reads up to 240, and 0kp/h starts around 7o'clock. His starts at 6o'clock and goes a full 360 to 280kp/h.

craz azn 05-24-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1422998)
^^ i see what he did with tach, seems simple enough, but i'm wondering about the speedometer. The speedo on an average e30 only reads up to 240, and 0kp/h starts around 7o'clock. His starts at 6o'clock and goes a full 360 to 280kp/h.

Oh, duhhh LOL I wasn't even paying attention. I think the speedo keeps going... but my car doesn't go fast enough to try and see :D

Dissembler 05-24-2010 11:10 PM

lol, i think its time to make your car faster than! :idea: Build up a new crazy motor and i'll take your old one :P

everlast 05-25-2010 12:32 AM

I like 'em!

Slowered318 05-25-2010 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like what you did... it's custom but still retains the sexy red lighting.


PS. I wish I had these gauges :eek:

NOTORIOUS VR 05-25-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1422998)
^^ i see what he did with tach, seems simple enough, but i'm wondering about the speedometer. The speedo on an average e30 only reads up to 240, and 0kp/h starts around 7o'clock. His starts at 6o'clock and goes a full 360 to 280kp/h.

I checked last night and you're right.... doesn't go past 240 thanks for thinking of that... for some reason I didn't even think it wouldn't (most electronic speedo's won't stop @ the high end).

So looks like I won't be keeping the custom speedo section, only the RPM side. :mad:

everlast 05-25-2010 11:04 AM

Who cares that it won't go past. Most people won't ever get there anyway. :) It looks good.

Dissembler 05-25-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowered318 (Post 1423062)
I like what you did... it's custom but still retains the sexy red lighting.


PS. I wish I had these gauges :eek:

lol, isn't that the cluster from a Veyron? If you only want the gauges, can I have the rest of the car?:D

I agree with everlast, keep the custom speedometer. If the numbers are spaced out exactly the same as the stock face, theoretically it should work, same as the tach. Then, your friend will have to come out to centralia with us where they have an airport auto-x with 3 1-mile long straights and he can test to see if it does infact just keep going like rudy suggested!

Slowered318 05-25-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1423128)
lol, isn't that the cluster from a Veyron? If you only want the gauges, can I have the rest of the car?:D

I might need the rest of the Veyron to make use of the 280 mph and 1000 hp gauges... what do you think? LOL

NOTORIOUS VR 05-25-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1423128)
I agree with everlast, keep the custom speedometer. If the numbers are spaced out exactly the same as the stock face, theoretically it should work, same as the tach. Then, your friend will have to come out to centralia with us where they have an airport auto-x with 3 1-mile long straights and he can test to see if it does infact just keep going like rudy suggested!

The whole point of the cluster was to extend the speedo to see approx how fast you're going. But the needle does in fact stop @ 240.

I might scale it back to 260 to make it look a bit cleaner and to keep the 6 o'clock starting position's as I kind of like that.

Need to find a suitable paper/vinyl to print on to match the OEM faces as close as possible as well. Might actually take the PS files to a printing house for that, we'll see.

But please do tell me more about this Centralia! I've been looking for a place to do a few runs like that (locally). You can PM me if you like instead *th-up*

Dissembler 05-25-2010 09:19 PM

sent you a pm N VR


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.