maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   OEM Radio Repair/Replace Question - E30 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133487)

luve30 05-22-2010 12:38 PM

OEM Radio Repair/Replace Question - E30

I finally got around to removing the OEM radio from my '88 M3 as the volume control is crackling and the right channel no longer works. Does anyone in the GTA repair these things? If so, is it worth it to repair?

I would replace the head unit if I could get one that just plugs in as I'm not felling like going through the hassle of running new speaker wires right now. I hear getting them to the door speakers in a huge pain in the ass.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ceeker 05-22-2010 03:03 PM

For the price of repair; you're better off getting another used head unit like yours for 20-50 bucks depending on condition. Post a pic of yours and I'll see if I have one working with code.

luve30 05-22-2010 03:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks, here are some pics. I'm pretty sure this radio wasn't the original anyway.

I wonder if there is a no bling old school looking head unit that could use the existing wiring but have ipod support and amber lighting.

Ceeker 05-22-2010 03:34 PM

Does it have premium sound? 6x9 speakers in back or small round ones. Looks like yours has the amp plug. what I use is a cassette connected to a regular earphone plug which you can adapt a cd player or Ipod or whatever you want.

luve30 05-22-2010 03:41 PM

Yes, I've got the premium sound. I'm pretty sure that jack I removed from the hole in the 3rd pic was for the trunk amp.

Ceeker 05-22-2010 05:58 PM

I have one with everything working and code all lights and buttons. it has the slide rule bass,treble etc. in excellent condition. I believe it's alpine.

Ceeker 05-22-2010 06:52 PM

pm sent.

krazylegz1485 08-03-2010 11:45 AM

I don't intend to thread jack, just didn't think it was necessary to make a whole new thread for this somewhat related question(s).

I personally am going to ditch my factory deck for an aftermarket one, as well as running new wires for everything - speakers, amps, etc. Is the factory stereo hole just an exact single DIN size? If I remember right the factory stereo has little screws on the sides that expand some tabs to hold it in. How do people get an aftermarket deck to stay in there snug, but still be able to remove it when needed?

Thanks!

tominizer 08-04-2010 07:30 AM

SPEAKERS:

Ditch the factory radio and put in a decent aftermarket.

Running the wires is not too difficult. Often what installers do is find the factory wire colors by pulling out the speakers and then find those wires into the car. Rears are VERY easy. Front kickpanels not so bad either......... tweets more work but all inside the cabin. No need to run into the doors.

DECKS:

Aftermarket decks come with a cage that mounts into the DIN hole. The deck then slips into that cage and locks. The cage has tabs you bend into the back side of the dash and usually a mount off the back of the cage that you can use if you want to. It's rather easy stuff to install.

Hope this helps.

krazylegz1485 08-04-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tominizer (Post 1441232)
SPEAKERS:

DECKS:

Aftermarket decks come with a cage that mounts into the DIN hole. The deck then slips into that cage and locks. The cage has tabs you bend into the back side of the dash and usually a mount off the back of the cage that you can use if you want to. It's rather easy stuff to install.

Hope this helps.

I've got some experience with these metal cages you speak of. I think I was just picturing that there wouldn't be enough room in there for it. I guess I'll get more into when the time comes. Thanks for the assistance!