maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   e30 4-door drivers door not unlocking (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133205)

Ceeker 05-14-2010 06:40 PM

e30 4-door drivers door not unlocking

I have a strange issue. The drivers door will lock all doors but won't unlock or unlock the rest. The trunk will lock and unlock all the doors. I thought maybe the central lock module was toast so I changed it. Still the same symptoms. I also changed the actuator at some point thinking it might also be that. Car can lock and unlock all doors from the passenger side. once I look the doors from the drivers side I can't unlock it from the passenger side.

does anyone know what the problem could be?

thanks.

E.

DR.ZED 05-14-2010 10:17 PM

I've had to pull out and clean the contacts on the door in question.

Or simply give the wiring harness a push where it goes into the body of the car. Mine doesn't seat well every once in a while.

Ceeker 05-14-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DR.ZED (Post 1419949)
I've had to pull out and clean the contacts on the door in question.

Or simply give the wiring harness a push where it goes into the body of the car. Mine doesn't seat well every once in a while.

I've had it apart once already -it's getting power and I have also pulled the door connector out to inspect. no corrosion. if it locks it's getting power but why it won't unlock I don't know.

HavocSteve 05-15-2010 12:12 AM

I have the same problem with 2dr IS. Key wont even go in the driver side door, but i can lock and unlock from the passenger side. So i have to get out and hop in the passenger seat to push the lock down so all doors lock. Kinda retarded.

Ceeker 05-15-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavocSteve (Post 1419968)
I have the same problem with 2dr IS. Key wont even go in the driver side door, but i can lock and unlock from the passenger side. So i have to get out and hop in the passenger seat to push the lock down so all doors lock. Kinda retarded.

your lock cylinder needs rebuilding. easy job. :-) order a repair kit for about 50.00-u get all the key codes to replace yours including lube and cylinder I believe.
my bmw tech buddy told me it's quite possible the rod might be missing or broke which allows the door to open. the close rod is still obviously on. Now it's just a matter of finding it in the door. not much space to work in.

DR.ZED 05-17-2010 09:38 PM

Check this out...

http://e30world.com/body/BMW-E30-lock-cylinder-repair

cirrusblau 05-17-2010 09:53 PM

Driver's door should lock and unlock without a key (ie without power locks - disconnect the battery and give it a try). You need a new lock or a rebuild, unless something is jamming outside of the lock. Easy check: pull the door lock and try it.

Ceeker 05-17-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirrusblau (Post 1420748)
Driver's door should lock and unlock without a key (ie without power locks - disconnect the battery and give it a try). You need a new lock or a rebuild, unless something is jamming outside of the lock. Easy check: pull the door lock and try it.

thanks everyone...but it's not the lock cylinder. My key works fine. My lock assembly is jammed or broken. I don't want to pull the lock yet because I want a replacement to do it in one shot. I already pulled a pass side just to see what the problem might be. the push pin doesn't work period. A car will lock and unlock manually as long as the door actuator is disconnected.

In my case I know it's something missing or broken in the latch mechanism.

cirrusblau 05-17-2010 10:17 PM

keep in mind the driver's door lock won't lock with the door open - safety feature so you don't lock your keys in the car!

If you unscrew the 3 phillips head screws by the latch, you should be able to determine if it's the latch without even opening the door. Just let the latch dangle and try the lock. Same deal with the lock actuator, if you need to check that too.

Ceeker 05-17-2010 10:25 PM

thanks been there done it. (Grin) I need a transplant. inner door handle opens door -outer door handle opens door. Something is not right with the latch this I'm sure of. either a spring or connecting pin which allows the actuator to bring the pin up is gone. I tried to lock and unlock from inside while the door was shut using the pin. doesn't go either way.

Ceeker 05-17-2010 10:27 PM

thanks been there done it. (Grin) I need a transplant. inner door handle opens door -outer door handle opens door. Something is not right with the latch this I'm sure of. either a spring or connecting pin which allows the actuator to bring the pin up is gone. I tried to lock and unlock from inside while the door was shut using the pin. doesn't go either way.

cirrusblau 05-17-2010 11:26 PM

My money is still on the lock cylinder itself :P

Ceeker 05-30-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirrusblau (Post 1420817)
My money is still on the lock cylinder itself :P

Well, it was mainly the latch mechanism. however the lock cylinder casing was broken so I just used a spare and since it was out I decided to rebuild the original lock. So now that's fixed..on to the next thing.

any idea as to why my rear windows are intermittent? I already tested with some spare window switches.

it wasn't that which wasn't allowing the mech to work. it was jammed. I tested this after I took it out and then compared it to the replacement. They worked differently. the added bonus was the lock cylinder.

cirrusblau 05-30-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1424332)
the lock cylinder casing was broken

That's what I was telling you all along! :P