maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Cost to own (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132954)

fuufuu 05-08-2010 11:20 PM

Cost to own

I have a quick question. As my first car i plan to own a BMW, sadly the only car I seem to like, everything else is 'ok'.

But I'm a bit curious on costs to own one, not insurance though, like oil changes and such. I am still a full time student and have to pay for that too

(I know im a girl, but I understand cars pretty well thanks to the boyfriend, but i cant remember EVERYTHING, anyways he's off in the military so i have no one else to ask and my dad is a muscle car guy and Honda owner...go figure.)

My Bosses car tell me scary stories like "my husband leaves 1k every time he goes to the dealership!" "oh they break so easy" "go for a audi" (repeat in thick Chinese accent)

So what am i up against?

Eurostyle 05-09-2010 03:17 AM

The way i see it, you live once, drive what makes you happy! All cars brake down, BMW is not the best car ever, but again what is!? If you know where to go, and how to do things (do it right, the first time, dont cut corners etc) it will cost you as much as any other "cheap" car...There are several dealer alternatives, that will save you BIG $$$, also a very big online community that can be very helpfull...I had to make the same choice at 17 when i got my first car, and i have never regreted it since! *th-up*

BMW_M_POWER 05-09-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuufuu (Post 1418036)
I have a quick question. As my first car i plan to own a BMW, sadly the only car I seem to like, everything else is 'ok'.

But I'm a bit curious on costs to own one, not insurance though, like oil changes and such. I am still a full time student and have to pay for that too

(I know im a girl, but I understand cars pretty well thanks to the boyfriend, but i cant remember EVERYTHING, anyways he's off in the military so i have no one else to ask and my dad is a muscle car guy and Honda owner...go figure.)

My Bosses car tell me scary stories like "my husband leaves 1k every time he goes to the dealership!" "oh they break so easy" "go for a audi" (repeat in thick Chinese accent)

So what am i up against?

I would just grab an E36 (318is) if you are really concerned about reliability

agentM 05-09-2010 04:12 PM

Don't go to dealership to fix your car. Before buying a BMW, get a full check on it. Parts are not too expensive unless you get into major problems. If you like what you see just get it. Otherwise you might regret getting something else.

fuufuu 05-09-2010 10:47 PM

Thanks guys, might be buying a 2004 325i this weekend

matryx 05-29-2010 09:43 AM

I'm also looking for a E46 now and found some good information.

Here are some threads that might help you on you're decision.

kpeng's Guide To Proper E46 Maintenance

Commom problems with your E46

There's also tons of information on the problems and how to fix it.

BMW DIY Lists

Since I don't think you're not going to do these repair yourself I have to say it's going to be more expensive that you think to own a BMW. It's certainly more expensive than a Honda or Toyota. They are much more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

mclovin 05-29-2010 11:57 AM

Kpeng is a douche lol

matryx 05-29-2010 12:37 PM

I was just doing some research and those are some of the threads I found. For Kpeng being a douche, I don't know him or care lol.

Another BM 05-29-2010 04:51 PM

get the 325, you'll be very happy, plus i love seeing hot girls in e46s..

u are hot right.. j/k

fuufuu 05-29-2010 09:05 PM

lmao i bought the 325 :) uhh as for hot, i dunno >_< anyone in the sauga (sq1) area will see it, and laugh at my license plate....worst luck ever.

slemmer 05-29-2010 09:31 PM

Congrats. Any hints on the plate?

fuufuu 05-29-2010 09:39 PM

sigh... ill post the photo of it...as the lady gave it to me i saw the first to letters, the other two covered by a sticker,
my dad asks "will you remember that?" i laugh and say yes, then as she handed it to me i saw it all. And thought "FML" the mechanic laughed at me,
detailers, friends...i want to change it lmao but at the same time its funny. The last 3 digits, dont help either. So i wont share it lol

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...00516-1006.jpg

:(

Another BM 05-30-2010 10:28 AM

W2WDETAILING 05-30-2010 09:26 PM

Ahahahaha that is funny my co worker got BJDY.... ahhh anyways congrats on the car

craigIS 05-30-2010 10:43 PM

Congrats on the car. You should be happy with the 325.

My friends plate (shes a girl) starts with BJFR. I'm sure most everybody on here can break that down, but in case you can't, here's a break down: BJ effer