maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   My Research on Shocks & Springs - Opinions welcome (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13278)

MatyBMW 03-27-2003 12:44 AM

My Research on Shocks & Springs - Opinions welcome

Hey guys, summers coming and I need to make an educated decision on my springs \ shocks combo. I don't have a lot of money but here is the information I found, can someone shed some light on the my primary and secondary choice listed at the bottom? Thanks so much!

SPRINGS:

H&R Cup Kit, comes with H&R Sports Shocks $922CAD
2.1F 1.75R

Eibach Ground Control Coil Overs
0-1.75" $615CAD

H&R Sport
1.5F 1.25R $320CAD

H&R Race
1.6F 1.5R $645CAD

Rennsport
1.7F 1.7R $299CAD

Eibach Pro Kit
1.3F 1.3R $386CAD

SHOCKS:

Bilstein Sport - used with lowering springs

Front x 2: $170CAD
Rear x 2: $121CAD
Total: $582CAD

KONI?
SACHS?

Right now, I like the Rennsport and Bilstein combo. Do you think this will be too stiff?

My second choice is H&R cup kit but I would have to get a camber kit.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Luke WL. 03-27-2003 01:57 AM

i have the ebiach pro kit and im soon to be getting bilsteins so ill tell you how they be...

ROB89M3 03-27-2003 02:14 AM

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM? Alot of it is shady.....

The ground control coilovers drops it way more than 1.75"....It goes as low as 3"
If you go this route, you can get the spring rates you want, and match it with properly valved shocks. I paid $299 usd for the coilovers + installation.

For your car, I 'd get a spring/shock setup,since you wont be tracking the car. The H&R cup kit is a nice setup, but pricey...

I really like the H&R race springs. It'll give your car a nice drop, great handling and reasonably priced. I used to have this setup on my M3,and it handled amazing ! You can use Bilstein sport shocks with them too.

Whether you go eibach or H&R springs, they are both great products. As far as shocks, either Bilstein or Koni are great, but I do like the Bilstein better,since I hear stories the Koni's fail prematurly. But the nice thing about Koni is that you can get adjustable shocks.

ps: I have a set of Bilstein sport shocks for sale, I needed to get other shocks to match teh spring rates of my Ground control coilovers. I beleive these shocks have around 30 - 40,000 kms on them.

Hamann Kid 03-27-2003 02:42 AM

yeah, how did you get the info? the price doesn't seem right, also, the price for H&R Sport and Race springs should be the same $$

windsor318is 03-27-2003 02:54 AM

eibach & bilstein combo, make sure you buy a front stress bar, hugh difference

MatyBMW 03-27-2003 09:35 AM

So you guys don't like the Rennsport \ Bilstein combo eh?

You guys have all seen the size of my fender gap. I think 1.7" drop would be a good amount without having to worry about bottoming out.

NickP 03-27-2003 12:26 PM

You haven't mentioned what you want out of your shock setup... do you care about ride quality or just handling.

The best compromise between ride and handling is the H&R Sport with Bilstein Sports. Also on my car it gives -2.6 degrees of camber at each corner - any more and I think you'd need some camber correction.

For something more radical look at coilovers or the Cup Kit.

MatyBMW 03-28-2003 01:58 AM

Rennsport & Bilstein

Thanks for the input..

I'm looking to rid my fender gap, a lowered look, and slightly stiffer than stock handling.

H&R Springs don't seem low enought

Will Rennsport and Bilstein combo offer me what I want?

Seems like people don't know to much about Rennsport (German Company)

Luke WL. 03-28-2003 11:09 AM

same problem

i have the same problem, i have the ebiach pro kit and it is not low enought, well maybe in the back, but there is still a BIG gap on the front... for an e46 with soon to be 19x9's what should i do to fix this? (willing to spend some $)

98323IS 03-29-2003 05:15 PM

I have Rennsports on my E36, and LOVE them. Right now I'm still on stock shocks, but the ride is awesome, not rough at ALL, and corners really really nice. I could only imagine what a set of Bilstein's would do! My good buddy also has these on his E30 and LOVES them as well. I can't say enough about them. And yes they get rid of your fender gap perfectly. I don't know why more people don't have them on here..........

98323IS 03-29-2003 05:16 PM

I'll try and get my buddy to post some pics of his E30 so you can get an idea of what the drop looks like.

MatyBMW 03-29-2003 05:22 PM

Thanks for the advice,

I'll check out those Rennsports

A 1.7" drop is quite nice :)

tiestoE36 03-30-2003 11:13 PM

i am going withe h&r cup kits, buts its $900 usd, so something near $1400 CND. i think some of your other prices are in USD.